Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Surprised I do not see more Winchester 1876 shooters here!

This is the place to be to talk about the 1876
    http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...oard,89.0.html
    I have Uberti 76 in 45/75.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Thanks Hoot - I work cheap too - specially when I am havin fun - this kind of machining work makes you do things right - I reckon if I do a number three it will be really nice!!
    I must be losin the plot!!! the sight I pictured was number three - I scratch built two - the brass knob one on my 76 - then another for the sharps - then this pedersoli conversion one in post number 12 .................................................. ........

Boolit Buddy
    Dang ! IJ ,, your start'n to be a one man assembly line ( lol ).

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix .

Boolit Buddy
    Hey veeman ,, can't you use 45-90 brass to make 45-75's ,, or what's the draw back to resizing ??

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    45-75 start life as a fatter diameter.... like 50-70 brass is fatter. 45-90 is nothing more than 45-70 stretched out to 2.4 inches.
    Mike in ILLinois
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good evening
    45-75 start life as a fatter diameter.... like 50-70 brass is fatter. 45-90 is nothing more than 45-70 stretched out to 2.4 inches.
    Mike in ILLinois
    Yeah need fatter .....348,, 50 alaskan , 50/110W, 32 gauge magtech shotgun brass , 50/70?

Boolit Master

Uberti .50-95 here. Its no tackdriver, but its a hoot to shoot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swiss2F_zps5abf7115.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Uberti .50-95 here. Its no tackdriver, but its a hoot to shoot!
    Dont ya just love it !! he blows the centre out of his target then says ahh it dont shoot that good but its fun

Boolit Buddy
    1 picture is worth a 100 " I did's ",,, good shoot'n .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix .

Boolit Master

Didn't say it don't shoot good, but with a 1-7/8", 50 yard group, tacks are in no peril of being driven to extinction

Boolit Master
    Didn't say it don't shoot good, but with a 1-7/8", 50 yard group, tacks are in no peril of being driven to extinction
    Now ya haveta understand I did this really scientiffically - big gun = big nails .....based on the size of the head of a standard aussie roofing nail - five shots - I gave ya five nails - one in th middle an four at the points of th compass - ya killed three of em - clipped the lid off a fourth and missed number five by a whisker......I also bet thers a bit left in you and that gun if ya would stop havin fun and get serious - so there goes tother nail!!!!

Curious what model it is (I should remember this but dont at the minute) I got a 45/75 rifle and pleased with it - if I sold enough surplus hardware to get another 76 I would want a 50/95 carbine style or short rifle - couple problems - havent sold the hardware - dont like button magazines tho they have a definite accurracy advantage (I think) .....22 inch half octagonal / half round barrel - full magzazine - 50/95 - standard barrel sights -- short rifle huh? -----nobody makes one ......phew !!! Im safe got a lathe - got a mill - somebody pass me the hacksaw - we could do this ....uh oh!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    The lgs down the street has a uberti with a malcom scope on it for 1000.00 and its kinda got the wheels turning a little bit. I think its a .45-75.
    Oh somebody ... just anybody ... please post a picture of a 1876 or 1873 sporting the Malcolm scope. I just can not imagine how this is accomplished. Thanks

Boolit Master

Indian joe -lol! Its a standard 28" barrel rifle with beautiful Riflesmith replica of the original factory tang sight. My tired eyes need all the help they can get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uberti76-2_zps5013368c.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I have always wanted a 1876 but I can't afford even an Uberti replica. I would someday like an original in either .40-60 or .45-60 but I have would have to sell one of my vehicles to finance one. They're great rifles though.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master
    Indian joe -lol! Its a standard 28" barrel rifle with beautiful Riflesmith replica of the original factory tang sight. My tired eyes need all the help they can get.
    Yeah my eyes the same! a feller at the ML club last month was checkin out the guns on the rack and stopped at mine (only ten of us there so we knew whose was what) What on earth are ya doin with this front sight? ---I shoot a nice little 45 flinter I built from cheap parts - 42"barrel and I cut the front sight so it spans the full width of the black at 50 yards - its a hunk of metal about 3/16"wide and a big wide square notch in the backsight well down that long barrel - I can see it !!!! The outfit is nothing special but I dont shoot it too bad.
    I like the little tang sight it leaves room to get your thumb over the grip too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David LaPell View Post
    I have always wanted a 1876 but I can't afford even an Uberti replica. I would someday like an original in either .40-60 or .45-60 but I have would have to sell one of my vehicles to finance one. They're great rifles though.
    Heres how ya do it
    Buy empty shells first (if you never get the gun they will sell for a profit later anyway)
    Somewhere in the next three to five years somebody will do a run of brass for these rifles (I am a blackpowder freak so I want the bigger case capacity 45/75 or 50/95 - First choice would be the Uberti 45/75) I jumped in too quick last time and bought 348 cases but that works - If I saw starline 50/95 in the shop tomorrow I would buy 200 .

So brass first - then a set of dies
    Later a mold
    Now ya just gotta buy a rifle to shoot it in hey.

On a more serious note - I go through my gun rack from time to time - and most of the cheap stuff I have is dead money - good shooters - useful - fun - but poor resale value (depreciated) and difficult enough to sell in todays climate -- the quality firearms I have accumulated over time would sell easily and all in would generate more dollars than they cost to put there (I think) ....... the Uberti owes me most of 3K and no you wouldnt get it back but its the latest addition and by time I am done .....................

Boolit Buddy
    Just for the thought of it ,, while mess'n around ( hide'n) in the shop today ,,I found some older " Jamison " 40/60 brass I bought right after I got my Chaparral ,,the rim thickness is only .055 , caused a little head space ( they said " it's within spec's " ) the length is 1.70 ,,I also ordered 20 rds. of " Jamison " 210gn. ammo ( the brass is also 1.70 w/ 210gn cast ) . So I started to seating cast 210 gn. rnfp bullets ( no primers ) they seated@ 2.210 - 2.214 ,, I then seated ea. rd. a little longer and tried each rd in my rifle to see if it would feed ,, seated out to 2.270 ,,will load & feed ,but not w/ more rd's. in the mag.
    tube ,,my rifle will load & feed from 2.210 thru 2.260 w/o hanging up ,,now " WHY DID I DO THIS " ,, cause " I WANTED TOO ".I have plenty of Starline brass in 45/70 ,, thicker rim ,,solved head space problem , my rifle don't care about the head stamp , nor do I . What kind of different pressures will I have seating the bullets in at 2.210 + -, verses seated out to 2.225 + ,,that would interest me ,, I load w/ H 4198 & TB ,, any thought's . I loaded my 4 rds. ( diff. lengths ) shortest to longest , every which way ,, the only time the 2.270 would hang was if I loaded it last ,,I think to much spring pressure ,,if I loaded the 2.270 to be the last rd. it worked smooth. ( just kill'n time of no value to most anyone but me ).

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Boolit Master
    I wish I could post a pic of the 76 with the malcom scope on it. I will say a for effort but uh no on the function. From the bottom of the tube to the top of the receiver is less than an inch and I just don't see how this thing ejects anything. When I first saw it I thought it was an MVA scope and was thinking about buying the rig to get the scope. I guess thats why its for sale so cheap. (cause it don't work so good no more)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    I wish I could post a pic of the 76 with the malcom scope on it. I will say a for effort but uh no on the function. From the bottom of the tube to the top of the receiver is less than an inch and I just don't see how this thing ejects anything. When I first saw it I thought it was an MVA scope and was thinking about buying the rig to get the scope. I guess thats why its for sale so cheap. (cause it don't work so good no more)
    Hawkeye
    What are ya waitin for ? Take 900 bucks cash down there right now and wave it under his nose - (subject to proper inspection of course) the adverts for malcolm scopes list all the winchester models so they must make offset mounts - the 45/75 Uberti has a 20 twist - mine likes heavier boolits (the other calibres all come with slower twist for lighter boolits - "express" rounds) it will shoot (single loaded only) heavy boolits up to 525 grain - has done 2MOA out to 500 yards with a tang sight (not done yet I am a newbie to long range stuff) ----or flog the malcolm scope off to a guy with a sharps and put a decent tang sight on it you still got a cheap outfit.
    Last edited by indian joe; 08-09-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    ndnchf, that's an awfully sweet looking replica. One of the things I usually don't care for on the replicas and restorations is, they get carried away with the case coloring. Seems pretty common with the Turnbull restos. Going by just the one pic, your rifle is just (excuse me while I wipe my chin) beautiful.

As far as accuracy goes, you can't feed tacks to the family. Inside of 100 yards that should still put meat in the freezer.

Yeah, I'm a bit partial to the old Winchester levers.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast