Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Surprised I do not see more Winchester 1876 shooters here!

Lightbulb I'm Surprised I do not see more Winchester 1876 shooters here!

I'm Surprised I do not see more Winchester 1876 shooters here! I would think with all the 1876's I've seen at Cowboy Matches and the Posts elsewhere on their use on the hunting fields that someone would post something here.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Master
    You sure that you are not talking about '73s?

What you see mostly at SASS matches are replica Winchester 1866 and 1873 rifles, plus a lot of Marlin 1894's. You'll also see some original 66's and 73's, and I know some who shoot original 73's, but not 1876.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Maybe we are out side and shooting.. 50-95 with a 350 grainer powered by 84 grains of 3F is deadly on coyotes and groundhogs from any angle. If I ever tire of it I may get out the 45-60's.
    Mike in ILLinois
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I'm Surprised I do not see more Winchester 1876 shooters here! I would think with all the 1876's I've seen at Cowboy Matches and the Posts elsewhere on their use on the hunting fields that someone would post something here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	405 hb.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	225052 45/75 Uberti model 1976 10 shots

Name:	soule sight.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	225053 I made the backsight for my 76

I think (like MT C) maybe you meant 1873winchester - the 76 is way too much gun for cowboy matches !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Hey IJ ,, like the sight ,, nice work ,, need one for my 76 Chappie ,,y'a didn't happen to draw up a set of plans ( spec's as it were ) , been giv'n some thought to do'n one myself ( mini lathe & mill ) . Fix'n to do some loads for mine for the 300yd. range ( TB & H-4198 ) ,, ya wan'a talk "76" , i'm with y'a .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix .

You see allot of them at SASS Annual Matches shot in the Cowboy Long Range side matches.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninety Caliber View Post
    You see allot of them at SASS Annual Matches shot in the Cowboy Long Range side matches.
    Yeah thought about that after I posted - too much gun for main match was what I meant..

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    You sure that you are not talking about '73s?
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred;
    What you see mostly at SASS matches are replica Winchester 1866 and 1873 rifles, plus a lot of Marlin 1894's. You'll also see some original 66's and 73's, and I know some who shoot original 73's, but not 1876.
    I was asking about the Winchester 1876. I own a Carbine in .45/60WCF and had hoped to find other shooters who shoot either the Chiappa or Uberti versions. I've used mine in long range shoots, but wanted to compare loads and boolits with other shooters.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Master
    The lgs down the street has a uberti with a malcom scope on it for 1000.00 and its kinda got the wheels turning a little bit. I think its a .45-75.
    Last edited by 1Hawkeye; 08-05-2018 at 08:43 PM. Reason: jacked up sentence structure

Always wanted one, just not bad enough to load another caliber lol. If I did it would be the 45-60. Brass is allot easier to get(cut down 45-70). I shoot an '86 for Cowboy long range.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    Hey IJ ,, like the sight ,, nice work ,, need one for my 76 Chappie ,,y'a didn't happen to draw up a set of plans ( spec's as it were ) , been giv'n some thought to do'n one myself ( mini lathe & mill ) . Fix'n to do some loads for mine for the 300yd. range ( TB & H-4198 ) ,, ya wan'a talk "76" , i'm with y'a .

Name:	pedersoli sight conversion.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	225090 This is the latest effort - couple of things different

Name:	pedersoli sight slide.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	225091 Closeup of the cross slide

No I didnt draw plans - just kinda winged it
    This one is a conversion using a cheapie pedersoli staff and base (lots of work in making those two pieces for the first one)

Some decisions based on what tooling is available in the workshop - and what metal is laying around the place

1) I cut a short piece of 5/8 square, set it up in the mill vice and drilled it 11.5 mm to take the crosslide barrel
    2) I drilled and reamed a piece of old 22 barrel to 3/8" for the barrel of the cross piece (had a couple decent 3/8th reamers so that looked about right)
    3) turned the outside of the barrel down to neatly fit the 11.5 mm hole, polish it up, I left it attached to the stub till I milled the 3mm slot in it to clear the staff - you mill the slot in from the left hand end but not right through, leave about 1/8"closed at the right hand end, then part it off (mine is 36mm OAL) This fit is the guts of it, that hole has to be dead square, so you get the staff standing straight up.
    4)now turn and polish a piece thats a nice neat sliding fit inside the 3/8" barrel - mine is 7/8" OAL center drill it, drill it through and tap a thread through (I used 5mm - maybe 1/8" x 40.? anything smaller would be flimsy - fine thread here gives you finer adjustments on windage, 40 TPI = about 2.3 MOA per turn, 32 TPI = about 3.2 MOA) This is the piece that the staff is brazed to, if you make it too short - the staff wobbles side to side - so you see the tradeoff here between stability and how much windage adjustment you can have and it comes down to how neat you can fit it and still get it to move!
    5)mill a shallow trench along that piece to take the base of the staff - also mill the slot in the main body piece - and fit the body and cross barrel together -I fixed the barrel to the main block with red loctite for the second one - silver soldered the first - (time will tell with the loctite)
    6) cross screw - the thread attaches to the adjustment knob - set it all up and silver solder together.
    7) I made the staff for my first one, stole the pedersoli staff for the second one - either way mill the base of it square - when you assemble the staff to the base piece you must make a jig to hold it straight - I brazed mine (a bit stronger than silver solder) - there will be some filing/fitting of your brazed joint to get this to fit neat in the barrel part again.
    8) so now the left hand cap is made - center drill and tap the thread in it. I turned a little recess so it goes over/outside of the barrel part to keep it centered - when I had the whole thing assembled as neat as I could, just drilled a 1/16" hole clear through cap and screw for a locking pin.
    The brass knobs on the 76 one look kinda kool but not a smart idea they already worn just a little and some backlash in it and too easy to move the windage - so I will take it off one day and tap a small locking screw through the back of the body to lock that staff up once its adjusted right.
    I am pretty happy with my efforts really the second one needs a few little finishing touches before I re install it - not as nice as an MVA but they work and we lookin at most of 600 aussie dollar for the good stuff.

I proly forgot heaps of stuff but maybe something here helps - its not hard but is time consuming .

Boolit Buddy
    Hey , Grape ,, how long a range ,, i'm still at 100 yds. ( open sights ),, what size "pill "& powder ,, I use Starline & WW ( 45/70 sized down ) brass ,,TB & H-4198 . The 4198 seems to shoot the same bullet ( 200rnfp ) a little higher than the TB a the same distance ,,using home brew pan lube . Looking a IJ's " back sight " ,, yours have a tang for the long ranges I'm sure .
    Oh ! mine is a Chaparral 40/60 ,, yes sir it is smooth .

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    The lgs down the street has a uberti with a malcom scope on it for 1000.00 and its kinda got the wheels turning a little bit. I think its a .45-75.
    I would really like to see pictures of a 76 with a malcolm scope on it. I can not picture how that would work in my minds eye.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    GO GET IT NOW!!!
    The Uberti 45/75 has a 20 twist - mine will shoot heavy boolits up to 525 grain - (gotta single load em) - but with a malcolm scope and proper load development that gun would make a lot of single shot shooters pay attention......... plus you get the koolest lever gun ever made

run Hawkeye! run!!!

Boolit Buddy
    IJ ,, " I like what you'v done ,, this will be a great winter project ,, yes sir ,it is time consuming ,,,but I work " cheap " I just added your instructions to my favorites list for safe keeping ,, thanks for taking the time ,, again nice work ( $ 600.00 worth )

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    IJ ,, " I like what you'v done ,, this will be a great winter project ,, yes sir ,it is time consuming ,,,but I work " cheap " I just added your instructions to my favorites list for safe keeping ,, thanks for taking the time ,, again nice work ( $ 600.00 worth )

Thanks Hoot - I work cheap too - specially when I am havin fun - this kind of machining work makes you do things right - I reckon if I do a number three it will be really nice!!

Boolit Master

Name:	IMG_0836.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	225097
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Mold
    I shoot an early Uberti 1876 rifle in 45-60 with cut down WW brass. RCBS 45-FN-300 GC bullet, 318 gr, 25.0 gr of #5744, WLR primer. 2.5" to 3.0" 5-shot groups at 100 yards off bench on a good day with the barrel sights. I don't shoot cowboy matches.
    Mike

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot an 1884 vintage 1876 in 45-75. Rifle loves the 300 grain RCBS and the Lyman 457122. Rifle has a 28” round barrel. Sights are MVA Mid Range Soule with Hadley Eyecup and a MVA #115 Front Sight. Will use the rifle for hunting and NRA Levergun Matches. Unfortunately with the current shutdown of Jamison Brass. Head stamped, properly dimensioned and reasonably priced cases are no longer available. I encourage 45-75 1876 Shooters to contact Starline and request that they start production of this fine Cartridge.
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick B; 08-24-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast