Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingPBcastco
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm Surprised I do not see more Winchester 1876 shooters here!

Besides me, anyone else use a 405 grain cast boolit in their 1876? My Chiappa kicks like a mule with a 405 grain RNFP with 55 grains of compressed 2Fg Goex. My rifle has a twist rate is 1:20 so it stabilizes out to 100 yards. My normal load is a 350 grain on top of 60 grains, by volume of Pinnacle BP Substitute. I haven't had the chance to try out the Uberti "Cross Fire Trail" carbine. When it cools off a little I'll take it out to the club's 100 yard range and wring it out with several loads to see which one it likes.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Besides me, anyone else use a 405 grain cast boolit in their 1876? My Chiappa kicks like a mule with a 405 grain RNFP with 55 grains of compressed 2Fg Goex. My rifle has a twist rate is 1:20 so it stabilizes out to 100 yards. My normal load is a 350 grain on top of 60 grains, by volume of Pinnacle BP Substitute. I haven't had the chance to try out the Uberti "Cross Fire Trail" carbine. When it cools off a little I'll take it out to the club's 100 yard range and wring it out with several loads to see which one it likes.
    Yeah I use the 405 grain in my Uberti - it seems to like the heavier boolit a little better - have two molds based on the LEE 459-405 HB - I milled the nose a little bigger flat and changed the base plug so I get a 335 grain with two lube grooves and a 405 grain with three lube grooves - both have flat base instead of the lil hollow base. (Lee will sell you the spare bits so could actually do this mod on one mold and just have two different base plugs - at 22 bucks for a second mold - who cares?) Like this mold with black cuz it carts plenty of lube - I have shot over forty in a morning session with no clean and just an occasional blow tube. The Uberti has a nice bore but it does a tad better with the bigger boolits (459 instead of 458). Have had 1500fps (just) with the 335 LEE .
    Have also been experymenting with heavier boolits (pointy nose ones single loaded) as a long range proposition have shot a couple of encouraging five shot groups at 500 yards with these ....LEE 459-500-3R (is ok in calm weather but dont like any wind at all), the LEE with a little flat nose filed on it seemed more stable, and Lyman 525 postell looked ok ---I shoot the 405 grain over 63 grains of FF and the pointy boolits loaded almost on the rifling over 68 grains - card wad (juice box) over the powder. My rifle is a 28inch barrel - they weigh ten pounds - recoil not so bad - but you will feel those heavy boolit loads.

I am at the point where I just don't need another rifle to hold down the carpet in my safe. I haven't shot my Pedersoli Sharps in 2 or three years I still have a couple rifles to work out load development on, don't need another project or caliber to figure out. Work and family both think I need to spend time with them.
    However..........I have an 1873 44WCF that I LOVE and shoot a lot of Swiss 2f through. Its big brother would be cool to have. I shoot Lever Action Silhouette and a few of the 1876 calibers look like they would be good medicine for 200 meter rams!!
    What area of Eastern Maryland Grapeshot?? I am in the center of the Eastern Shore, we might have shot together.....we have similar tastes in rifles and powder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDMAGNUM View Post
    I am at the point where I just don't need another rifle to hold down the carpet in my safe. I haven't shot my Pedersoli Sharps in 2 or three years I still have a couple rifles to work out load development on, don't need another project or caliber to figure out. Work and family both think I need to spend time with them.
    However..........I have an 1873 44WCF that I LOVE and shoot a lot of Swiss 2f through. Its big brother would be cool to have. I shoot Lever Action Silhouette and a few of the 1876 calibers look like they would be good medicine for 200 meter rams!!
    What area of Eastern Maryland Grapeshot?? I am in the center of the Eastern Shore, we might have shot together.....we have similar tastes in rifles and powder.
    David
    If you do this - go the extra mile and get a 45/75 - - the original 1876 calibre - they put a 20 twist barrel on that one - it will shoot accurate with any boolit you can get in it - the 45/60 would be easier for brass but its a 1:40 twist, not gonna be as versatile for boolit weight Attachment 229302
    ten shots at 100yds with a 466 grian CBE a couple days back - the low shot is first one cold barrel
    Have shot a 525 grain Lyman postell also Attachment 229303
    and the LEE 459-500 3R
    These long pointy boolits need loaded singly of course
    The rifle does almost as well with the 405 grain or a 335 grain

An 1876 will hold your carpet down better than anything else you can put in there
    Last edited by indian joe; 10-23-2018 at 05:26 PM.

2008 the Big R store in Billings had me drooling every time I went in there.
    Should'a got me a '76 then for sure.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a 76 Chaparral in 40-60 .. chaparral's have a 1 in 20 twist ,45-60 & 45-75 also . Some have a " tic or two " but original win. parts fit'um .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    I shoot a 76 Chaparral in 40-60 .. chaparral's have a 1 in 20 twist ,45-60 & 45-75 also . Some have a " tic or two " but original win. parts fit'um .

I did not know that -- pretty good incentive to take the risk on a chappie if you lookin at a 45/60.

I just had to go whole hog and get a 45/75 -have had a thing about them since way back .

Boolit Buddy
    Hey IJ,, yea, I got a pretty good one ( lot's of folks didn't ) but no parts available .. Chappies are very-very close copy's of the 76 win. So I collected ,a original bolt 1st. gen ,some toggle links ,( had to make the back half for the right side ) original 1st gen fireing pin,, and a original lifter " marked 40/60 ", screws are the same so I now have spare parts . And " YES " I put the origl. parts in my rifle and shot it w/ no problems . I am now looking for a 1873 Chaparral in 44/40 ( no luck yet ) . Oh! found most of the parts on the " BAY " .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123