Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: Got a small score

Boolit Master

Got a small score

I was over at the local gun show today and got a small score of 75 .58 caliber 530 grain minnie balls for only four dollars. Don't know what mold they came out of but they look like a good tight fit in my Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter in .58 caliber. Just about the only muzzle loader supplies that I saw at the show. Don't know when I can get to the range so they are going on the shelf in the reloading room with the rest of the round tu its.

Boolit Master
    Just curious, what local show was that??

Banned

I search for stuff like that at gun shows. It wouldn't be worth $4 to cast your own, and 75 will keep you shooting for a while.

Boolit Master
    Rusty, The show was at the Volusia County Fair Grounds just off 44 east of Deland. They have it about every three months, it's not very big but a lot of fun to walk through and occasionally I find a good deal (something I can't live without). Lots of empty spaces at the show this time.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can post a picture, someone will likely tell you what mould the bullet came from. Lee has a mould like that that drops around 520gr.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	365 minnies resized.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	225089 Here's a picture of the Minnie balls. I tossed them on a scale and found that they weigh in at about 465 grains instead of 530 grains. Wondering what starting load I should try, have a lot of 3F Geox but only a 1/2 lb of 2F. Hope they shoot well, got a lot of them

Boolit Grand Master

They look similar to the Lees but not quite. Mine are about 520. I worked up a load of 70gr ff for hunting. It shot the same POA for me as 80gr with a PRB at 100y. Start around 50 or so and work up.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

To get the best accuracy make sure that they are within .002" under bore diameter. I usually shoot 45 3F behind my RCBS minies out of a Murray Carbine lubed with MCM lube.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I've a 50/50 mix of bees wax and olive oil for a minnie ball lube. It has worked well for some other minnie balls that came with the rifle and I'll try it with 465 grain ones.

Boolit Buddy
    Good snag.......I'd buy them every day like that instead of making them myself. I don't care for my current Minnie mold.