Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OAL/seating of HG68 in 45 ACP?

OAL/seating of HG68 in 45 ACP?

I will be picking up a new 45 on Monday and am working on getting some test leads ready. I have a bunch of HG68 boolits cast (Lee copy) with enough for samples sized at .452 and lubed. As I look at them, a question comes to mind: Are these designed to seat to the groove? I have much less experience loading pistol rounds than revolver. Does the case mouth end up in the groove or above it? Pictures or descriptions of what others do with success would be helpful.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    H&G 68 has no crimp groove, only a lube groove. I load at 1.24 to 1.25 for my 1911's and that worked fine for my new Glock 21 also. There should be a sliver of the front driving band showing.

What gun? Someone might be able to give better advice if we know the exact gun.

Super Moderator

Every gun is a little different. I use the "plunk test" to determine OAL.

Here's a link w/photos. http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloadi...he-plunk-test/

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    H&G 68 has no crimp groove, only a lube groove. I load at 1.24 to 1.25 for my 1911's and that worked fine for my new Glock 21 also. There should be a sliver of the front driving band showing.

Back in the day it was a "sliver" or the "thickness of your thumbnail" since my thumb was handy I went with the nail thickness.....With the lack of precision , it's a wonder how we reloaded anything.
    Back then you did a lot of seat pants flying !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Springfield xdm.

I plan to use the plunk test for sure. Knowing that the brass ends somewhere on the front driving band is real helpful.

Boolit Master

For my XDM 5.25" I'm using 1.243" OAL, same as for my 1911's.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

I use 1/32" as a guide, but I judge it by eye. Many people will load them flush with the case mouth, which results in frequent failures to feed, and dented case mouths.

Equally important is the amount of crimp. I use 0.469" and get excellent reliability. As little as 0.003" more (0.472") will catch and cause failures to feed in some guns (not all).

Boolit Master

With the little extra material on the shoulder from PC, I seat the Lee clone to 1.235" for a 1911. Any longer will give an inconsistent kerplunk.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post

I seat my H&G 68s at 1.241 in my Ruger SR1911.
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

Boolit Buddy
    This will likely make y'all crazy but...
    Since I first started reloading .45 ACP for 1911 bullseye gun most of 40 years ago I have never measured oal. How I learned it was to "trial & error" seating depth until the case of a dummy round dropped into the chamber of a vertical barrel came flush with hood above the chamber. This done to headspace the lead bullet round on the bullet. The .45ACP only headspaces on the case mouth purely by chance as no case I ever measured came close to being as long as spec. H&G 68s seated this way have always fed thru 1911 magazines, have fed reliably and shot accurately.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    Since I first started reloading .45 ACP for 1911 bullseye gun most of 40 years ago I have never measured oal. How I learned it was to "trial & error" seating depth until the case of a dummy round dropped into the chamber of a vertical barrel came flush with hood above the chamber. This done to headspace the lead bullet round on the bullet. The .45ACP only headspaces on the case mouth purely by chance as no case I ever measured came close to being as long as spec. H&G 68s seated this way have always fed thru 1911 magazines, have fed reliably and shot accurately.
    That's how I arrived at mine. The only difference is that I measured it. Why? So I could document it in my load book. That helps when I change my press and want to come back and crank out more of the same later. Knowing the COL from before helps to get to where I was before. I still check it in the barrel and adjust accordingly.
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    Yeah, me too! But looking at some of my loaded rounds there is about 1/64th, maybe 1/32nd of an inch of the driving band showing above the case mouth. Like someone else posted, about a thumbnail width.

My suggestion is load a few and try them before cranking out a lot.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180804_190339-1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	225023

Bad pic, but should help. I thought they didnt look right when i started, never having seen one before, but this works for me with a .470ish crimp.

Lee mold with green/clear powfer coat.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

Here is what my Lee #68 clones look like seated to a length that will kerplunk. Looks close to jcren's pic.

Awesome, thanks guys! I know what to look for. I will start at around 1.24" and see if it plunks. Once I get a length the pistol likes, I will load test rounds.

Seeing how these boolits end up in the case, it isn't surprising they feed well. Almost looks like a small-nosed TC rather than a SWC.

They became my favorite .45 acp boolit long ago over 5 grs of Bullseye. I use the thumbnail method or more correctly the eyeball method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Master
    This depends on whether your pistol has a throat, or not. A properly throated barrel should accept the #68 seated as long as 1.245, (The OAL originally listed in the Lyman cast bullet manual for the #68 design), with no problems. A barrel with any kind of throat will generally accept 1.240
    They are three issues that can occur when seating the #68 very short, (just a "sliver" of drive band beyond the case mouth).
    1. They don't feed as well as the bullet nose does not contact the feed ramp at the angle it was designed for.
    2. You may not get a secure taper crimp if there is not enough of the front drive band beyond the crimp to hold the crimp when it hits the feed ramp. I see jambs from this occasionally at matches with the offending round having the boolit shoved back into the case and the round nose up.
    3. Leading in the first 1/2" of the barrel caused by the leading edge of the front drive band not being in the throat beyond the headspace "lip" of the chamber when the round is fired. This often results in a small sliver of lead being shaved off of the leading edge of the front drive band of each round which then gets ironed into the first half inch of the grooves by subsequent shots. You can ID this by leading in the lower half of the very beginning of the lands. This can cause significant leading if the boolits are also oversized, like using a .452 sizer for a barrel that is actually 4.505 In that case you may be actually shaving a small ring off the entire circumference of each round as they're fired and you will see leading in the grooves all the way around the first 1/2" or so of the barrel.

Boolit Master
    Another thing to keep in mind is that if you use range brass, like I do, the case lengths are going to be all over the place so any given loaded round may show more, or less, lead in front of the case mouth even though they are all the same COAL.

Boolit Master
    I'd say Forrest has his dialed in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast