MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 327 Federal Magnum

327 Federal Magnum

Is there a box better than the mtm ?

Where do I find printed data for the heavier bullets ?

This one came out at 117 grains and I couldn’t be happier the dummy round fit !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I haven't seen any printed data for the heavier bullets. I like the way that one looks!

The reloading pages of M.D. Smith has data for 115gn lead bullets.

What mold produced that boolit?

Boolit Master

Nice round, I’m playing with a 32-20 Contender. I just got some Dillon ammo boxes, seem better than MTM. Have fun, be safe. Tim

Boolit Buddy
    Loaddata.com has load info up to 125gns.
    I'm still waiting on dies but I have cast up a heap of 122gn gas checked hitek coated projectiles for my Henry.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I can tell you what is NOT as good as the MTM box--the Frankford brand that Midway sells, which unlike MTM boxes, will shatter when dropped filled on a concrete or tile floor (admittedly a foolish practice)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast View Post
    What mold produced that boolit?

Haven’t shot it yet, but I made a dummy load that fits in my charter arms , and fell in love. the mould could not have worked better or easier . I sure hope I can come up with an accurate load .
    Unfortunately we lost mr Keith before he could recommend how much 4227 to employ

452276 358429 and the 31-129k ( sized 314)

a MP mold, Noe ,and Accurate

Boolit Grand Master

I use the 100 round MTM boxes, they last decades unless you step on them.

The reason I like that bullet so much, is you can use 115 grain data for it. There were also some cast designs like the Lyman 116 grain that you will find data for. There is so much extra powder space when crimped in the crimp groove with this bullet, you shouldn't run into trouble. You cant fit enough 4227 to go over pressure with it. I forget the exact charge. Start low and work up. I'll post a link below to some data that can get you started. If you are looking for more top end loads, I've gone up to 12 grains of Accurate #9, and that shot well.

https://loaddata.com/articles/PDF/LD...arce%20LR1.pdf
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 08-06-2018 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I use the 100 round MTM boxes, they last decades unless you step on them.

The reason I like that bullet so much, is you can use 115 grain data for it. There were also some cast designs like the Lyman 116 grain that you will find data for. There is so much extra powder space when crimped in the crimp groove with this bullet, you shouldn't run into trouble. You cant fit enough 4227 to go over pressure with it. I forget the exact charge. Start low and work up. I'll post a link below to some data that can get you started. If you are looking for more top end loads, I've gone up to 12 grains of Accurate #9, and that shot well.

https://loaddata.com/articles/PDF/LD...arce%20LR1.pdf
    Thank you for the link.That is what I been looking for in a long time and could not find anything like that.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I too prefer the MTM boxes. I have tried both the Frankford Arsenal and Plano boxes. But as noted above if dropped by a fumble fingered fool they break. Spilled my brand new shiny .45 colt rounds all over the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post

Thanks much. I see on the Accurate Molds website that it has a .35" crimp groove to meplat. I'm wondering if that will be too long a nose for some guns. Good looking boolit though.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is a relatively small outfit called J&J that makes kind of a shadow line of products that are like the MTM, Midway and others, but less expensive when I find them at gun shows. Most are a clear translucent material that seems to be pretty durable. The best thing about them is that the box they make for 32-20 and 30 carbine also is close to a perfect fit for even the longest 327s.

I'm loading some NOE 3114008s (that run 125 grains) over Accurate #7. They didn't have a recommended load listed on their website so I took the lightest load they listed for the 115 and used that. This gives a fairly stout load, but no pressure signs, and it seems to be consistent. The downside is that Accurate #7 doesn't seem to perform well at reduced loadings so you don't get to back way off and still get good (consistent) results.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

The .35" long nose is too much for the single seven unless seated deep. With the Henry rifles, it's just a tiny bit too long, about .020" too long. You could either trim the brass that little bit, or load in H&R brass, or seat deep. I chose a fourth option, and modified my rifle to shoot them. Every other handgun is just fine, and even my LCR could chamber a bullet with a .400" nose, although with very little room.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    There is a relatively small outfit called J&J that makes kind of a shadow line of products that are like the MTM, Midway and others, but less expensive when I find them at gun shows. Most are a clear translucent material that seems to be pretty durable. The best thing about them is that the box they make for 32-20 and 30 carbine also is close to a perfect fit for even the longest 327s.

I'm loading some NOE 3114008s (that run 125 grains) over Accurate #7. They didn't have a recommended load listed on their website so I took the lightest load they listed for the 115 and used that. This gives a fairly stout load, but no pressure signs, and it seems to be consistent. The downside is that Accurate #7 doesn't seem to perform well at reduced loadings so you don't get to back way off and still get good (consistent) results.

Froggie
    Froggie,
    I went to the J&J website and cannot find any cartridge boxes listed for 32-20 or 30 Carbine. What is the product number on the boxes your are talking about? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    The .35" long nose is too much for the single seven unless seated deep. With the Henry rifles, it's just a tiny bit too long, about .020" too long. You could either trim the brass that little bit, or load in H&R brass, or seat deep. I chose a fourth option, and modified my rifle to shoot them. Every other handgun is just fine, and even my LCR could chamber a bullet with a .400" nose, although with very little room.
    That is good to know about the rifle. I modified my Marlin 44 mag to feed Keith cast bolts, but had not heard of anyone doing the mod to Henrys.
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast View Post
    Froggie,
    I went to the J&J website and cannot find any cartridge boxes listed for 32-20 or 30 Carbine. What is the product number on the boxes your are talking about? Thanks
    I couldn't find it either.
    I have a lot of the MTM boxes in different sizes colors and hinges, Id be nice to find some that are a little better fit and obviously different than my 357 boxes by size.

This one measures 1.525

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast