RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard or Soft Rifle Case?

Much prefer a soft case, hard cases are so cumbersome! But there are times where a soft case is no good, mostly for when you have someone else handling the gun, or if there’s a ton of shifty gear bouncing around that could try and bend a soft case, or for instance you want to put the rifle under all your other gear for some reason, which I could imagine several benefits to that.

I'm a little late to the party, but I really like American Mountain Supply soft cases. I only have one but it's very high quality. Made in the USA and reasonable priced. For comparison, it offers better protection than the cheap Walmart Allen cases that are sold for about 10 dollars

Banned
    The topic of hard gun cases makes my blood pressure go up. 20 years ago we had cases from Doskill that were tough, light weight and didn't ruin the monthly grocery budget to buy one. I like them and try to get everyone I can find, which is few and far between.

Today we have heavy, strong plastic material cases you could drive an M-1 over with a corresponding high price. Or there are those flimsy, cheaply made plastic cases for $50-125 that aren't worth half they are asking for them. I have three and they are a case, nothing more. Flimsy with cheap latches that may or may not stay closed.

Today's soft cases are also costly and the better one seem to be made for the tacticool crowed, and priced accordingly. I have two, and they are good cases.

For the lessor rifles, like the 22 single shots I am fortunate to have a well stocked local gun shop with a used item bargain room. They have a good selection of used soft cases and very fair prices.

Rant over, coffee is done also.
    Ken

Hard case for a glassed rifles...soft case for open site rifles and shotguns. I never store them in a case...only for transport. They are in silicone socks for storage.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

I have a large variety of both. For any travel that’s going to measure longer than thirty minutes the guns are placed in hard cases. I have a Pelican case that will hold four pistols(w/ extra mags) and Pelican cases for rifles. I have these because I fly often. They are worth what they cost and then some.

For quick range trips I place them in one of the many soft cases I have. They vary in materials and protection. I recently purchased a few Savior Equipment bags for my ARs. They are very nice soft cases that provide ample protection and lots of pockets for accessories. They cost a good bit but are worth it. I can place two ARs, two pistols(don’t do this but I could) and all accessories needed in one bag. Worth the price of entry for me. They make them in varying lengths. I plan on buying longer ones for non AR rifles at some point.

For absolute protection it’s Pelican cases. For quick trips it’s whatever I have lying around that the rifles fit it. Hand guns are always placed in hard cases. The foam insert for the Pelican case makes it to easy and convenient to place them in anything else where the potential for damage is to high.

Got little story to tell about hard cases. A local man passed away leaving his son his estate. I knew these people personally. I never approach people and inquire about purchasing anything after a death in the family. It just rubs me the wrong way. I had to help a buddy’s family with his estate and experienced first hand how thoughtless people are. Anyway every time I saw the son he would say he was going to have to bring his dads guns up for me to sell. This went on for maybe 5 years.
    Anyway he finally brings them up. He had went to Wallyworld and bought hard cases for the long guns. He had stored these in his basement. Well humidity in Ohio gets pretty rough in summer, it’s 90% today. When he opened cases the guns looked mint. The opposite or bottom sides were rusted very badly. Pitted and stuck to egg carton foam of case. There were two 22 rifles in old soft cases of canvas like material. They were in top shape. To make a long story short I paid for all them what just one of the ruined guns would have brought. The only reason I bought them at all was for a pistol that was keep in boys bedside. Do not store guns in plastic.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Do not store guns in plastic.
    The plastic is not the problem all by itself. The problem is the foam holds moisture. Combine that w/ a case that isn’t completely sealed and you have a corrosion accelerator. If the case fully seals and you have desiccant packs in it you shouldn’t have any issues. The foam is the real problem since it holds the moisture.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The plastic is not the problem all by itself. The problem is the foam holds moisture. Combine that w/ a case that isn’t completely sealed and you have a corrosion accelerator. If the case fully seals and you have desiccant packs in it you shouldn’t have any issues. The foam is the real problem since it holds the moisture.
    moisture can be held in the padding of a soft case as well.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

For a short transit, an not a lot if guns piled together, I use the old timey rifle sleeves. They offer little in the way of protection except for minor dings, but suit older guns better.

Boolit Master
    there are some really nice soft cases being made but they are not cheap. I don't much like the cheap hard plastic cases, living in the south when you take em out of the air conditioning into the hot humid weather you need to have a few big bags of moisture absorbent in there. I had a gun shipped to me in one of those cheap hard plastic cases and it was all cracked up when it arrived but the foam inside protected the blue steel and walnut.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    moisture can be held in the padding of a soft case as well.
    Absolutely, many guns have been ruined by soft cases as well. Neither one should be used for long term storage.

I bought a nice Pelican rifle case only to realize that there was absolutely no point in lugging it to the firing line as it weighed as much as 2 fully loaded rifles.

I have a Zero Haliburton case with Weatherby's name on it.
    I bought it used at Ruger Days at a LGS many years ago for $15.00
    The foam padding was rotted and three of the latches were broken.
    New foam cost me $75.00 and Zero replaced the latches for free.
    I think I did alright.
    I never did price a new Weatherby aluminum molded case but my guess is they are not cheap.

Boolit Bub
    I have both and usually grab my soft cases first. Only for long trip where it will be mostly stored do I grab the hard cases.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12