Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard or Soft Rifle Case?

Boolit Master

Hard or Soft Rifle Case?

Hi all

I'm looking for a new rifle case for me Remington 700 AAC SPS 20"

I just sold my SKB double rifle case (I don't need a double rifle case but it came with a rifle that I bought) because it was huge and cumbersome. It was big hassle to toss it into my car for the range. I either had to feed it through the trunk with the back seat down or lay the passenger seat way back and sit it in the front seat. Makes it tough to bring a buddy and a dog to the range that way.

I'm looking at Cabelas and Midway for some rifle cases. Seems the midway soft sniper drag bag has awesome reviews and would work well but I can't keep from looking at the Cabelas hard rifle cases that look kind of like Pelican rip offs.

I like the idea of a hard case for protection for the scope but I don't know if they're worth the dough or if they're just big cumbersome cases like the SKB. ( I know the SKB was a double case and I'm guessing the standard cases are much more manageable)

Can anyone vouch for one style over the other or one brand over the other?

Thanks guys and gals!

My hard case is a bigger pain than a soft one. I use it when im unsure of what pickup atv boat etc ill be in. When I know the gun will only go from my jeep to the range or hunting spot AND my dog wont be stepping on it i always grab the soft case. Occasionally the hard case is advantageous because it can be used as a table for two guns and a small amount of ammo, across a rock in a gravel pit its nice to have a place for any gun no being currently shot. If you are in a situation where getting a gun out and loaded quick and quiet soft is the call. yep get both =)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    my hard case is a bigger pain than a soft one. I use it when im unsure of what pickup atv boat etc ill be in. When i know the gun will only go from my jeep to the range or hunting spot and my dog wont be stepping on it i always grab the soft case. Occasionally the hard case is advantageous because it can be used as a table for two guns and a small amount of ammo, across a rock in a gravel pit its nice to have a place for any gun no being currently shot. If you are in a situation where getting a gun out and loaded quick and quiet soft is the call. Yep get both =)
    enabler!

I use hard cases on any rifle that weighs very much or has expensive glass on it. For light weight guns I use soft cases.
    Varmint rifles, bench rest rifles, long range rifles all get hard cases. My 30-06 and 243 hunting rifles I expect to survive a little rough treatment so they get soft cases.
    My 22 rimfire rifles all get soft cases except for my target rifle.
    Shotguns all get soft cases. I used to have an expensive trap gun that got carried in a hard case but it would cost about $4000 i today's money.
    None of my hard cases are difficult to manage. They aren't really heavy and they all have foam liners that hold the gun well. They are only slightly larger than the rifle itself.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a few hard cases here the hard case I like best is the plano air glides, rifle is up right and tied in with Velcro straps. nothing bears against scopes or sights. They arnt overly expensive and provide good protection. The big cases are a pain and 2 BPCR rifles in 1 gets heavy quick LOL. In high power rifle matches I used the Boyt soft cases with shoulder strap. Made it easy to carry rifle and gear gave good protection and wasnt overly heavy. These are sized to fit garands and M1As. A very good case. For transport in vehicle I prefer a hard case ( 2 accidents where the rifle and case took a beating but rifle wasn't damaged one was a 12lb high wall in the air glide case). On the range transporting from line to line a soft case works best for me.

Boolit Master
    I have both but most of my guns are scoped, I like the hard case I feel it protects the scopes better. Yes they are more cumbersome but they do the job better. Also living in NY I usually use a trigger lock and lock the case as not to have problems with Commandant Cuomo's Storm Troopers.

Back and forth to the range soft case
    Travelling long distance hard case
    Flying has to be a hard case
    Great minds discuss ideas
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people

Boolit Master
    Hi...

I have and use both.
    Some bought new, some bought at auctions for relatively little money.
    Mostly use hardcases though...most of the soft cases stay in a closet.
    I do take the soft cases with me when I go on a gun shop tour or to a gun auction...never know when I might buy a rifle or shotgun and need to protect it for the ride home.

I have Inexpensive Soft cases, Soft Assault cases with magazine pouches on the side, Hard Plastic cases, and metal cases. They all work Few are dedicated to just one weapon. One of the things I found useful was to buy a Hard Case for Golf Bags and the Wheeled carrier for it - I can now get half a dozen soft cases in one hard case and wheel them all up from the parking lot at once.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Like artful I have a mix.

Longer rifles and shotguns are in hard plastic cases.

I do prefer the slightly shorter, lighter weight soft fabric cases with magazine/ammo pouches under a zipper.

I have several that were designed with AR-15's in mind that work very well for my H&R single shot rifles, or rifle shotgun combos.

Lighter weight, easier to get through doors. Self contained, gun, ammo all in the same place. What's not to like.

Boolit Master
    I have both hard and soft but generally take the Boyt's double hard case for my more expensive guns and the add the soft cases to take the others as I can't get two large hard cases in the trunk along with the gear I usually take to the range. Very seldom do I just take the soft cases. I don't feel they protect my investment as well.

Boolit Master

I would have kept the SKB and bought a $30 gun case one day you might want to fly out of state and you can pack a lot of stuff in your gun case
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    It sounds like you have a car problem that makes it difficult to transport full length rifles. I addressed this over the years by buying station wagons, pickups with bed toppers and SUV (Chevy Suburban).
    These vehicles permit hauling 4 or 5 hard cased rifles, bench rests, cleaning cradle, ammo, spotting scope or a big load of hunting gear all at the same time.

If this sounds extreme it really isn't. Autos over time come and go. Owning the same car or truck for more than 15 years is unusal for most people but owning a rifle 30 years is not unusual at all.
    Last edited by EDG; 08-20-2018 at 09:53 AM.
    EDG

Boolit Master

I also have both and feel BOTH are really needed.

Soft cases are fine for range or short trips but durability goes with a hard case. Long travels esp on trains and plains a good hard case is a requirement.

I have two SKB cases. The first was bought when I first found that they existed. it was a large 4 long gun case that does better as a two gun case unless ya need to take for non scoped guns. the second I actually just splurged and got couple months ago. its a firmed single long gun case and its real nice but at almost 200$ a lil pricey.

I found a bought two hard cases last fall that I like allot. They are quite durable but very well priced at 75$ Its a Plano Tactical case.

For soft cases, I like BOYT, I have others but they usually leave me wanting more. Buy once cry once.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Mold
    I generally use hard cases because of the durability.

I had a soft case and the only reason I liked it was because I had multiple rifles. I could stack them inside the truck with soft cases and wouldn't take up nearly as much space.

It just depends on the circumstance I guess.

I got 3 aluminum americases , one for single scoped rifle and one for 2 scoped rifles I bought because they are high quality and airline approved but never used, they are still sitting in their boxes

I use a soft padded case for the AR with open sights.
    I keep a few of the cheap, hard plastic cases that open out flat for everything else.

After having a scope bumped off zero- which I discovered at the far end of a hunting trip,
    no scoped rifle goes into a soft case.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

All my cases even the hard case for a long flintlock rifle fit in the back of my pickup truck.

Solution buy bigger vehicles.

Boolit Master

you know this is a 2 year old post
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned

I've got three single and one double hard case and several soft cases, and I use pretty much all of them. I use the double a lot. I don't have any difficulty with travel since I have an extended cab on my truck, I just slide it into the back seat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast