Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 6.5 Creedmore - NOT

Banned

you are correct. The 762 nato is the standard sniper rilfe issued to most snipers but a little known fact is MANY use and prefer a 300win. Kris Kyle was one. But then there not a bunch of girls crying about recoil either. I would guess its more the bureaucrats and the politicaly correct leadership that sees a womens place as a sniper that push for less powerful rounds. Not the guys getting shot at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Which snipers? The 300 Win Mag has been a favorite of many elite sniper teams for years...

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...s-kyle-rifles/

http://www.snipercentral.com/history-300wm-sniping/

There were various rifles used by the Special Operations crowd chambered in 300WM, but nothing that was widely adopted until after the war on terror began. The USMC used their Mk13 Mod5 300WM rifles and the SEALs had their various custom built platforms as well. Then the US Army got into the mix on a larger scale with the adoption of the M2010 converted sniper rifles chambered in 300WM. It was at this point that once again Crane and the NavSea group took charge on developing a Product Improvement (PIP) on the A191 300WM cartridge. Initially they were tasked with developing a .338 Lapua load to extend the range of US snipers to 1500 yards and beyond. After testing various configurations of the 300WM and the 338 Lapua, as well as discussing it with industry experts, they determined that they could meet the new objectives with the 300WM instead of the 338LM.

Banned

still nothing about it actually being used by combat troops. the military wastes all kinds of money testing weapon systems that never see combat. My guess is the real snipers are going to complain its not powerful enough and the Women and some of the yuppy men soldiers are going to complain it kicks to much for a standard issue rifle. Then like I said they have to justify replacing all those guns and all the ammo stores they already have. Then we will have all the liberals screaming because the military is spending unnecessary money fixing a problem that doesn't exist. Ill believe it the first time I see it issued out to an entire battalion or shoved down the throat of an entire branch of our services snipers. Its the flavor of the month. By the time the bureaucrats and politicians get even near done jumping through all the hoops ands spending millions on studies and power lunches something newer and better will come along. Like was said in previous posts the 6mm creedmore is already stealing the spot light from the 6.5 I competition. Bottom line is if isn't adopted by all of nato it probably will never get in the hands of the infantry troops.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 11-02-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    One of my shooting buddies just got a savage 10 with mod stock 3 weeks ago. After a 200 round break in, I saw him shoot 3 out of 5 12 ounce cans of beer (cheaper than pop.....but it still hurt my feelings) at 1000 yards. That round is a masterpiece. Naysayers are everywhere, but I am not longer a nay. I am a yay. I shot it at 500 yards and I had a true 2 inch 500 yard 5 shot group, and I consider myself to be just an OK shot. I could also follow the impact through the scope----almost no recoil.

I can't wait to get my hands on that heavenly round and a rifle to suit it.
    Don't discount cheaper rifles either, the Savage Axis has an excellent reputation and aftermarket support. I'm quite happy with my $400.00 Remington 700 ADL, it is way more accurate than I am capable of holding!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

This thread doesn't want to give up. As for aftermarket, I just ordered a Boyd's stock for my Axis.\ and mounted a picatinney rail set for a scope mount. Had to cut them to get them to fit but they took the standard hole distance. Got some bugs to work out but I epect the rifle to shoot. Deer season starts tomorrow so I may get a chance to test it out. Trying out Horandy Full Boar 120 grain copper.

DEP

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    It's a good thread, no reason for it to end.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Boolit Grand Master
    built a CM in a AR 10 platform
    love that rifle
    trouble with being the new kid on the block the old timers just can't get over
    that there tried and true has competition hurts many feelings
    oh well any new gun or cartridge is always good makes no difference
    if I like it or not
    Don't own a 308 or 30-06
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I was going to start a thread saying 6.5 Creedmoor Not Bad. Don't have the pictures yet and will not get a good one as I had one heck of a day with things going wrong. I was climbing down from a stand and the sling came undone and the rifle took a tumble. Picked it up a looked through the scope and every thing looked clear. Walked back to the SUV and found I had left my keys by the stand and had to walk back. Could not find my cell phone as it had slid between the seats. We like to call each other if we hear a shot to see about the need for help. Watch I had set was not working right and needed to be reset and I ended up setting it to the car clock. Finally got to sit in another stand.

Bunch of permit deer came out and a nice fat doe presented a shot. The 6.5 Creedmoor Savage Axis hit right where I was aiming even after dropping it. Had a Leopold/Redfield on it. Ammo was the Hornady Full Bore ammo (too cheap to buy the more expensive type) . Bullet performed about perfectly on that deer. Not too much damage but a good blood trail which was not needed as I saw where it was laying as I walked up to point of impact. Shot was a little under 100 yards.

I tried a 243 and it did not give the performance that I liked even though I took a couple of deer with it. This was about as good as I can ask. Had I been using the 270 I used to use there would have been a lot more unnecessary waste.

DEP

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    what competition do you mean exactly? economy of shooting? not at all, cheapest 6.8 ammo ive seen is 1.76$ a round, cheapest 7.62x51 is .45$ a round,, I wonder what wins there?
    this is a reloading forum, cost difference for handloads is pretty negligible for most any normal calibers.

I was shooting a 6.5 PRC 35 years ago disguised as a 26" barreled Siamese Mauser in 6.5 Remington Magnum. What's old is new again. The Creed won't replace any favorites but it will supplement them very well. I'd love to Have one but I'm on a don't Need one budget. It's somewhat like a 26-250 so what's not to like? My 25-06 shoots far enough for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    what competition do you mean exactly? economy of shooting? not at all, cheapest 6.8 ammo ive seen is 1.76$ a round, cheapest 7.62x51 is .45$ a round,, I wonder what wins there?
    haven't bought a box of ammo in 40 years
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    I built a 6.5cr for our varmint silhouette matches. Max caliber is 6.5 and 3200fps for the bullets, no fmj. Shot 5 rounds over the chrony with different bullet weights, then went for groups (so much for break in). 100gr amax and 123gr custom comp. bullets went into 1/4" and 5/16" respectively.
    I like it. Low recoil, accurate, and just plain fun to shoot

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I built a 6.5cr for our varmint silhouette matches. Max caliber is 6.5 and 3200fps for the bullets, no fmj. Shot 5 rounds over the chrony with different bullet weights, then went for groups (so much for break in). 100gr amax and 123gr custom comp. bullets went into 1/4" and 5/16" respectively.
    I like it. Low recoil, accurate, and just plain fun to shoot
    That's why I tried the 243. It was fun to shoot and I think if one stayed to soft tissue it was fine for deer. Originally it was a varmint rifle that could use heavy enough bullets for deer hunting. Some started making it into light weight sporters and so forth. When the 260 came out it was with a 1-9 twist and worked for varmints. When the 260 came out it was with a 1-9 twist and it worked well for varmints with the heavier bullets mentioned. I think they used it to fit into the same class as the 25-06 or 257 Roberts. I was looking for one in a sporter but the best I could find was a light weight "mountain rifle". Savage makes one in a sporter now with a 1-8 twist.

This class of rifle, I think fills a need for those that want something that does not recoil a lot but still works on the deer/antelope/Black bear type of game. The bigger calibers blow up a lot of deer. The discussion on the Creedmoor centers a lot on its use a long range cartridge. I passed on a 340 shot as I do not like to take those shots anymore. Lots can happen not related to the abilities of the rifle. The days where we buy one rifle to cover everything are kind of gone now. For those of us that just like to hunt deer its a very good cartridge.

DEP

Boolit Grand Master
    I have fired bullets from 120 gr to 156 gr in the CM
    I have yet to have one 5 shot group open more than 1"@100 yds
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567