WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationPBcastcoLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmore - NOT

Boolit Master
    The New Kid In Town! Oh wait, that’s a song by the Eagles!

When the 6.5 Creed first hit I was in overdrive buying take off barrels for Savage bolt guns. I had wanted to add a 260 Rem tube to my reserve but they were not to be had easily or reasonably priced at first but when the Creed took of suddenly the 260’s were flying off Savage bolt guns and hitting the internet.

My oldest nephew a bit later told me he was hankering a Creed. Well, I told him he ought to just keep pondering that move but in the meantime I would help him change his SA Savage to a 260 for a spell.

A year later I asked him how his desires were going for the Creed and he told me his Savage still in 260 was suiting him just fine!

Good thing I set him up with my blued tube instead of the pretty stainless barrel I am saving for my own maybe someday future build because I don’t think he is going to be parting with the blued 260 barrel I loaned him anytime soon!

Of course the donor action is still wearing a 257 Roberts barrel that I am very partial to. Do we suppose someone is going to invent a revolving cylinder barrel holder so I can set up and have several Savage barrels mounted to a Savage bolt gun all at once?

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 10-19-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Here in Texas I could get by just fine with a 6.5 Creedmor as my only centerfire rifle. Thank God and the 2nd Amendment I don't have to!!

What I find interesting is that the 6.5's in the Swede class fill a gap between the 308 and the 243. The 243 is more of a varmint rifle that can be used with loads adequate for deer. I played with one a couple of years and felt it had some shortcomings. My son in law has a 7mm-08 and for practical applications might as well be the 308. It is not that much more pleasant to shoot if any. The 6.5/260 class are actually about as pleasant to shoot as the 243. Sighting in I did not find the recoil objectionable nor did I have a bruised shoulder. My brother in law that bought one as his he likes to check out different rifles and he liked his old Swede. What he liked was that he shot up a box of cartridges tuning it in and felt little recoil effect. As he has shot all kinds of deer with his Swede, which was his go to rifle, even though he has several others. He has a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 308 in similar Brownings and definitely noticed the recoil difference.

I did not like the blood trail left by the 243 and think that the 100 grain bullets might be a little challenged on the larger deer we have in the Midwest. I saw enough shot with the Swede to be comfortable using that class of cartridge.

DEP

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My 6.5 is definitely easier to shoot than my Browning BLR .308, even with loads that are nearly identical according to the data. They both weigh about the same. I think alot of it is that the 6.5 has a lot more weight in the barrel whereas the BLR has a skinny barrel and more weight in the receiver and wood furniture.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Banned

wonder If they load that one with the same smart bullet technology that the creedmore bunch think there guns are loaded with. that ones pretty revolutionary too. Looks about ballisticaly like the good old 270 to me. that one would at least fill the gap between the 260 and 264 mag. Allways thought the 6.5/06 should have been a mainstream round. the 6.5 bullets were already there when the 270 came along and was said to be the best thing since white bread.
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Aka, the next 6.5 Remington Mag, 7mm and .270 WSM, and RSAUM/RCM anything. It's probably a good cartridge but a new rifle round accomplishing lasting popularity is seriously a once every few decades thing. Look how long it took for the 6.5 Creedmoor to really go mainstream.

6.5 has been an interesting caliber. It's focus has been that of a larger game cartridge than that of a varmint/deer cartridge combination. Probably the military back ground of the Swede. Rifling has generally been very fast like the 1-7 3/4 of the Swede and the bullets heavier as in the 140 -160 grain class. I tried varmint bullets in my early Swede carbine but they had to be loaded down to get them to shoot. When the 260 came out it was with a 1-9 twist to remedy that a bit but some did not care for it with heavier bullets. The 25-06 became popular but would not be as effective on deer and other critters as the 6.5-06 and is a bit much as a varmint rifle. Until now however the 6.5's have not really taken off. Part of it, I think is that most do not look close at terminal ballistics and just at muzzle velocities. Terminal impact does matter in a hunting rifle also. Extreme example, I was looking at a 44 mag lever but realized I already had a Marlin CB 38-55. When loaded up to near the 1760 velocity of a 44, the 38-55 will have the same impact velocity at 150 yards as the 44 at 100. it also shoots a bit flatter. While that may not be as pronounced in the more modern bolt action cartridges it does hold. The varmint/deer rifle concept has its followers but I am not one of them. The 6.5 is about the smallest caliber that is really a big game cartridge. It is not a bad choice for women and kids and older guys like me.

DEP

Boolit Master

You guys almost make me feel bad about hunting with my outdated 06, 7mm 08, 30-30, and God forbid my 44 mag

Boolit Master
    All kinds of animals fall to all kinds of cartridges, the thing that makes the most difference in the end is how well the hunter understands the limitations and advantages of their particular tool and it’s fodder.

My interest in a mid sized 6.5 (the 260 Rem) is that while coyote calling I can also call in a black bear. They can get very cranky if you promise them “supper” without actually dishing it up for them. I have no interest in hunting black bears but am not in favor of letting have any of my 2000 parts just so it can be happy. The 260 might offer enough rifle for coyote hunting yet also offer enough for stopping a bear that does not understand what no means.

As far as big game hunting, I place a division between deer and elk. Under good conditions I would say that a cartridge that can take a moose in Sweden can take an elk here. But you must dive into the details. Elk hunting in the Western USA bears little resemblance to a moose hunt in Scandanavia. My maternal grandfather hunted them in Norway all his life. They use hounds (the Norwegian Elk Hound) and hunt swampy alder thickets etc where they live. The property is private and exclusive. And yes, you pay for it.

They call their moose ..... elk. This animal is somewhat of a midget compared to the North American moose. Under these controlled conditions .... that of close range using hounds bred and trained to circle the quarry and bring them around for an even closer shot is it any wonder that a mild mannered 6.5mm cartridge would be sufficient?

When was the last time any of us had some hounds bring a American Elk around for a close shot?

Deer, even big ones can not compare to bringing down an elk. In my mind the 6.5 bore short of going to a magnum cartridge is out of its class when it comes to the Western Elk but it is in tall cotton with deer. If a hunter places logical limitations on when they pull the trigger, then the mid size 6.5 cartridges would suffice for our elk.

Just recently Hornady brought out a new 6.5 called the 6.6 PRC so now there is yet another new kid in town! It splits the difference between the Creedmore and the 260, like the difference was begging to be split?

Oh well.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 10-21-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    You guys almost make me feel bad about hunting with my outdated 06, 7mm 08, 30-30, and God forbid my 44 mag
    How else could someone be enabled to buy a new rifle. I like the 6.5C mainly because like the ones you mention the ammo is reasonable and I do not care for a bigger heavier recoiling rifle anymore. I had a 270 for years and it was a good cartridge in its way but a bit overpowered for my uses. Were I shooting at deer at 200+ yards all the time it would have been OK, but with 130 grain bullets it was kind of too much.

As a father to a daughter who liked to hunt I was looking for something appropriate. A 308 loaded down a bit is not all bad and I ended up getting her a bolt action 300 Savage at an auction. It has served her well. A 6.5 Creedmoor like in my Savage Axis would have been a good choice also.

I enjoy hunting over clearings and fields where the ranges might get a little longer than what my 38-55 and 30-30 or 35 Remington are good for and sometimes I just like a bolt action. Tried a 243 and am not impressed, seen a lot taken with a Swede so I am going to use the 6.5C.

How much fun would it be if we only shot one caliber? I mean you could just get by shooting the 06 at everything like some do But its been kind of fun trying the others.

DEP

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    How else could someone be enabled to buy a new rifle. I like the 6.5C mainly because like the ones you mention the ammo is reasonable and I do not care for a bigger heavier recoiling rifle anymore. I had a 270 for years and it was a good cartridge in its way but a bit overpowered for my uses. Were I shooting at deer at 200+ yards all the time it would have been OK, but with 130 grain bullets it was kind of too much.

As a father to a daughter who liked to hunt I was looking for something appropriate. A 308 loaded down a bit is not all bad and I ended up getting her a bolt action 300 Savage at an auction. It has served her well. A 6.5 Creedmoor like in my Savage Axis would have been a good choice also.

I enjoy hunting over clearings and fields where the ranges might get a little longer than what my 38-55 and 30-30 or 35 Remington are good for and sometimes I just like a bolt action. Tried a 243 and am not impressed, seen a lot taken with a Swede so I am going to use the 6.5C.

How much fun would it be if we only shot one caliber? I mean you could just get by shooting the 06 at everything like some do But its been kind of fun trying the others.

DEP
    I really like the .250 Savage based cartridges. They just work better with the mild loads I prefer, just as the Bob is a better choice than the .25-06 in this way. Spent some time with my 700 6.5 yesterday and really enjoyed it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Banned

When my oldest son came of age to deer hunt, I bought him a Remington Model 7 in .260 and we worked with it. Good rifle and he took several deer with it. When son #2 came of age a couple of years later, I was limted because he shoots left handed (left eye dominant). At that time, the only make that had a youth, left handed bolt action was Savage and it was only chambered in .223, .243 and .308. Well, that was a no brainer, I ordered the .308, referenced the Hogdon youth loads and settled on their load of a 125 grain spire point and 37 grains of 4895. Works just as well with 130s and either H 4895 or IMR 4895. Kills deer just fine at the ranges we hunt and recoil is nil. He took it out the year before last after not hunting for several years and killed a doe on opening day with that same load.

This was all before I started hunting deer with cast in centerfires. If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought my oldest boy a .308, but guess I wanted something different.

I'm sure the 6.5 Creedmoor is a good round, but am guessing all the hype is to sell rifles. I can't see what it'll do that a lot of well established cartridges won't do just as well. I do have several 6.5 bullet molds now, might just get one to play with, I'm hearing very good things about it in the Ruger Americans.

Where did you get the Hodgdon youth load data? That sounds like it would be a dandy for my BLR.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Where did you get the Hodgdon youth load data? That sounds like it would be a dandy for my BLR.
    Try this for reduced load info.....

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/u...ifle-loads.pdf
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    I understand the 6.5 creedmore has just been picked by army sp ops to become a sniping caliber. unverified, but interesting. should guarantee brass availability for years, if so.

Banned

I see articles that say there looking at it some will even claim its adopted but if its adopted they haven't taken one home yet and let it play in the sandbox. Im sure they will have to waste millons of tax payer dollars testing before anything concrete come from it and even then there not going to scrap the sniper rifles in service or the m16s the infantry uses just to change calibers. If anything it will be a slow replacement of guns as they wear out or a few might get rebarreled. My guess (and its just a guess) is 10 years from now our infantry will be using m16s and our snipers 700s in 762 for the most part. Just think of the billions of rounds of ammo the government has stockpiled and the millions of guns they would have to replace. You seriously think the liberals will stand for them spending all that money or God forbid selling them to us civilians. this is 2018 not 1930.
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I understand the 6.5 creedmore has just been picked by army sp ops to become a sniping caliber. unverified, but interesting. should guarantee brass availability for years, if so.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 11-01-2018 at 08:10 AM.

Banned

With the popularity of it right now, I suspect brass will be plentiful for a long time.

As to its use as a sniper round, special ops outfits have basically a blank check to get whatever they want. I don't see the M-4 being replaced anytime soon. It takes an awful lot to transition to a new weapon, let alone a new caliber, I just don't see it happening for a good while.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    10 years from now our infantry will be using m16s and our snipers 700s in 762 for the most part.
    Which snipers? The 300 Win Mag has been a favorite of many elite sniper teams for years...

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...s-kyle-rifles/

http://www.snipercentral.com/history-300wm-sniping/

There were various rifles used by the Special Operations crowd chambered in 300WM, but nothing that was widely adopted until after the war on terror began. The USMC used their Mk13 Mod5 300WM rifles and the SEALs had their various custom built platforms as well. Then the US Army got into the mix on a larger scale with the adoption of the M2010 converted sniper rifles chambered in 300WM. It was at this point that once again Crane and the NavSea group took charge on developing a Product Improvement (PIP) on the A191 300WM cartridge. Initially they were tasked with developing a .338 Lapua load to extend the range of US snipers to 1500 yards and beyond. After testing various configurations of the 300WM and the 338 Lapua, as well as discussing it with industry experts, they determined that they could meet the new objectives with the 300WM instead of the 338LM.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    One of my shooting buddies just got a savage 10 with mod stock 3 weeks ago. After a 200 round break in, I saw him shoot 3 out of 5 12 ounce cans of beer (cheaper than pop.....but it still hurt my feelings) at 1000 yards. That round is a masterpiece. Naysayers are everywhere, but I am not longer a nay. I am a yay. I shot it at 500 yards and I had a true 2 inch 500 yard 5 shot group, and I consider myself to be just an OK shot. I could also follow the impact through the scope----almost no recoil.

I can't wait to get my hands on that heavenly round and a rifle to suit it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast