Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
PBcastco RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmore - NOT

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    None ballisticaly, but ammunition is relatively inexpensive for the Creedmoor as compared to the Swede and the 260.
    It's a little cheaper, but the difference won't break anybody. For a reloader there's no difference at all in component costs. There are a lot of rifles out there, and that might entice me to get into 6.5CM, unless I found a nice used .260 or Swede.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Grand Master

I have liked the Swede since I bought a sporterized Gustafson years ago. Low recoil, accuracy etc. I bought a 6.5 Creed because I got a great deal on it but I can't see it does anything that old 1918 Swede could do.

The Swede runs neck and neck with my other favorite caliber, The 308. Got a safe full of guns but can't think of anything I'm ever likely to hunt one of those can't take care of coyote to moose
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    It's a little cheaper, but the difference won't break anybody. For a reloader there's no difference at all in component costs. There are a lot of rifles out there, and that might entice me to get into 6.5CM, unless I found a nice used .260 or Swede.
    Basically it was the rifle that got me into the Creedmoor. I sense that many bolt action users are getting a little turned off on the 6.5CM because of some interesting claims made about the caliber. My Axis shoots the cartridge well. Good enough for me to handily take a deer with it. The LGS has several 6.5 CM in stock by various manufacturers at various prices. One 260 Remington in a Savage sporter and no Swedes. The 260 in the Savage would be interesting as it is supposed to be 1-8 twist according to Savage. I gather some of the earlier ones were a little slower. Seems like the 6.5's have never really been popular in the States as hunting cartridges until the Creedmoor came out. Too bad as my brother in law has taken many deer with his Swede, and for big game the rifles in this category are similar but have some advantages over the 257 Roberts. 30 calibers are more of a do-all type rifle, but most of us have more than one rifle.

DEP

Boolit Master
    Interesting discussion. I do like the 6.5x55 and I also like the 7x57 and 7-08. But my two rifles now are .308 and .223. I like the .223 for shorter and mid range shooting when I don't want any recoil (Axis with a HB and wood stock). The .308 is my longer range rifle for when I want to feel a little thump and is where I test my shooting ability with range and wind. My range is only 1000yd so the .308 does just fine. Don't hunt, just paper or steel for fun.

FWIW, I picked the .223 and .308 due to cheap brass. I usually pick up 50-100 cases a month at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    My Rem 600 in 6.5 magnum, shoots 3/4" with handloads that fit in the magazine at 3000+ fps. And, that's out of an 18" barrel.
    My 673 Rem in 6.5 rem mag shoots about 3200fps over the chrono with submoa accuracy

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I am finding that the Creedmoor really does well with less than full throttle loads as well. Haven't had a chance to benchrest it yet, but 30 grains IMR 8208 under a 140 grain Sierra shoots as well offhand as my other rifles, basically a .30-30 with a long skinny bullet.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Banned

recoil shmecoil. if you want flat shooting and want a 6.5 take a look at the 6.5 wby mag. Now with a good streamline 160 id bet that one would reach out and touch something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    recoil shmecoil. if you want flat shooting and want a 6.5 take a look at the 6.5 wby mag. Now with a good streamline 160 id bet that one would reach out and touch something.
    That and the 26 Nosler. Nothing like half a cup of gunpowder to get that bullet over yonder with minimal drop!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I would think that if one really wanted to go this route then the 6.5mm-50bmg wildcat is the way to go. They make chamber reamers for it and reloading dies. Just think about a 160 grain spitzer boat tail bullet going 5,000 fps or more down range. That ought to keep the wind drift and bullet drop low.

Texas By God, why be stingy, go with a whole cup of propellant.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 10-09-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: add more info

Boolit Master
    Of course the down side is that it takes a 72 inch barrel to burn all the powder, and it needs set back and rechambered every 150 rounds!

I guess I'm just old fashion...I buy rifles/revolvers in cartridge/caliber that have been around at least 50 years. I figure a tried and true caliber will be around for another 50.

22 LR
    22WMR
    22-250 Rem
    30-30 Win
    303 Sav.
    30-06 Spr
    35 Rem
    7.62x54R
    38 spl
    357 mag
    9mm Para.
    380 auto
    44Rem Mag
    45/70 Gov't

I have others...some duplicates...but I can easily find ammo for all the above....including the 303 Sav.

Nothing against the latest and greatest cartridges...but they just aren't for me.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Banned

yup I guess my train of thought is its no miracle round. Doesn't do any more then a 260 and less then a 264. Its mostly a ploy in my opinion to sell some guns. Sure it might shoot flatter then a 270 (questionably) but who cares out past 500 yards unless your shooting paper. I shoot a lot of long range deer but even I have a self imposed 500 yard limit on shooting at a living creature. Not to many snipers here. Few wanbe's maybe. So it doesn't do anything in the hunting field that a 308 o6 270 or even a 6.5x55 wont do. Out past 500 yards its not a powerhouse for sure. Now if I knew I would have to shoot past 500 yards id take me a 300 ultra mag or 7stw anyday of the year over a crudmore and if I really wanted a flat shooting 6.5 it would be at least a 264 and id look seriously at a 6.5/300 or a 26 nos. The crudmore kind of reminds me of the 270. When it first came out the press hyped it like no other. Guys turned in the 06s and bought them by the truck full. What did they gain? I should actually rephrase that into what did they loose. If you were to be considered a true long range hunter you had a 270 or you just should stay home. Same with the crudmore. Guys that buy them think they magicaly make them 1000 yard shooters. Truth be told most of them would do as well at a 1000 yards with a 760 pump in 3006 with a 3x9 tasco on it. Sorry fan boys but God didn't breath on the 6.5 creedmore. Its just another small capacity 6.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That and the 26 Nosler. Nothing like half a cup of gunpowder to get that bullet over yonder with minimal drop!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

yup I guess my train of thought is its no miracle round. Doesn't do any more then a 260 and less then a 264. Its mostly a ploy in my opinion to sell some guns. Sure it might shoot flatter then a 270 (questionably) but who cares out past 500 yards unless your shooting paper. I shoot a lot of long range deer but even I have a self imposed 500 yard limit on shooting at a living creature. Not to many snipers here. Few wanbe's maybe. So it doesn't do anything in the hunting field that a 308 o6 270 or even a 6.5x55 wont do. Out past 500 yards its not a powerhouse for sure. Now if I knew I would have to shoot past 500 yards id take me a 300 ultra mag or 7stw anyday of the year over a crudmore and if I really wanted a flat shooting 6.5 it would be at least a 264 and id look seriously at a 6.5/300 or a 26 nos. The crudmore kind of reminds me of the 270. When it first came out the press hyped it like no other. Guys turned in the 06s and bought them by the truck full. What did they gain? I should actually rephrase that into what did they loose. If you were to be considered a true long range hunter you had a 270 or you just should stay home. Same with the crudmore. Guys that buy them think they magicaly make them 1000 yard shooters. Truth be told most of them would do as well at a 1000 yards with a 760 pump in 3006 with a 3x9 tasco on it. Sorry fan boys but God didn't breath on the 6.5 creedmore. Its just another small capacity 6.5.
    You are absolutely correct on every point. And, I am very happy with my 6.5 and can hopefully take it hunting soon. I really don't care about 1000 yard shots and redlining the pressure to get there. I like the fact that the 6.5 is easy to shoot, way more accurate than my shaky hands can take advantage of, and there are a wide variety of rifles available for it. I also happen to think that .264 is the sweet spot between the .22's and .30's.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Boolit Master

funny, but in a year it'll be another new cartridge, and the same people will be getting their panties in a bunch complaining about it. never ends folks, get over it, and if you dont like it, dont friggen buy one. its that simple. thankfully people come up with new ideas in life, or we'd be stuck with muskets, and model T's.

Exactly. The hoopla over the .300 WSM and all that bunch was way worse.

Boolit Master

My father is a Vietnam-era USMC sniper. Became a professional big game hunter after that and owned his own chain of gun shops in Idaho. He is now in his mid 70's and is still competing in rifle matches. He has hunted on nearly every continent and shot just about every big-game species you can think of. He is a verifiable expert on hunting.

I was discussing the new popularity being enjoyed by the 6.5 Creedmoor and that people were clamoring for them in hunting rifles.

He said anyone that chose the 6.5 Creedmoor over the .308 for big game hunting was a moron.

He said the Creedmoor has less energy and less lethality than the .308 at ranges of 500yds and less. Then he made some colorful comments about the ethics and morals of hunters who try to kill deer and elk at over 500yds.

He opined that anyone who buys one for hunting is an armchair hunter who doesn't know his **** from a hole in the ground when it comes to killing animals at ethical distances.

He said if you want a lower recoil deer round, then look at the .257 Roberts and the .243 Winchester.

He summed it up by saying that the 6.5 Creedmoor is a wonderful round for long-range shooting and it offers some distinct advantages over the .308 for serious competitors. But those who buy it for hunting are ignorant and just want to jump on the tacticool bandwagon.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

I wont. Maybe when a real new idea comes out ill think about it but a few gun writers and internet experts wont convince me that the creedmore is the reinvention of the wheel. I don't go buy a new truck every time the info center or stereo gets more high tech either because some high tech guru says its a must have.
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    funny, but in a year it'll be another new cartridge, and the same people will be getting their panties in a bunch complaining about it. never ends folks, get over it, and if you dont like it, dont friggen buy one. its that simple. thankfully people come up with new ideas in life, or we'd be stuck with muskets, and model T's.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    I think they already have done that. The 6mm Creedmoor is a new long range darling of the target shooting bunch. Then suddenly the .224 Valkyrie hit the scene and is becoming hugely popular due to it using amazingly heavy and long bullets with a really high BC. The 224 Valkyrie fits in a regular AR-15 which is one reason for its popularity. A barrel, bolt and maybe magazine change is all that is needed.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 10-13-2018 at 07:35 AM. Reason: add more info

Banned

ya I even bought into that one. Had a 300 win and a 300 H&H and a 300wby at the time. All the press said that this round made them all obsolete. I went out and bought a browning a bolt in it and found it gave less velocity and didn't shot a darned bit better then the other 300s. Kicked less? probably. If you shoot a 180 grain bullet a 100 fps slower in a gun that weights the same its going to kick less. Short action? Who cares! What I found was it was slower, brass was more expensive and lasted about a 1/3 fewer firings. Buddy bought a 25 wsm. all the same complaints and his brass was lucky to get two firings. I saw split brass on once fired cases. Very few made it past 3 firings. All the wsm's have about gone the way of the dinasours.

My guess is there will be a few that keep buying the Creedmoor but even the creedmore guys are swinging to the 6mm Creedmoor over the 6.5 for comp shooting. Those guys are conserned about .01 or even .001 of an inch in group size. I doubt many on a cast bullet forum or 99.9 percent of the hunters or even short of professional shooters will ever see a bit of difference other then in there mind or there bragging rights at the gun range.

They didn't turn a model T into a corvette. They gave the 450 hp corvette 2 or 3 more hp or mpg and want to convince all of us that are 450hp models are now obsolete. But if your the type that buys into it. the type that has to trade your smart phone in every 6 months because your old one isn't the latest and greatest have at it. I does one thing for me. It keeps the gun manufacuters in business so they still make the guns I want. Me, I don't need to text or google in my deer blind. I don't need to watch a movie on a 2 inch screen when I can watch it at home on a 50 inch screen. If I need to make a call I can do that just fine on my flip phone and if I want to kill a deer at 500 yards my o6 or a 270 will shoot just as flat as a creedmore and hit a heck of a lot harder when it gets there.

If I have some money to buy a new gun id be just as happy with another 308 or 06 to play with as a creedmore and ive got dies and brass and bullets right on the shelf. It kind of reminds me of back in my day when they introduced the 280 saying it was vastly superior to a 270 in every way (by the way I do like the 280) or when the 270 came out and no self respecting gun nut would be seen with an 06 when you could have the superior 270. The old o6 is still trudging along selling more then probably both of those two combined. Why? because it just works. Its worked since the 30s and nobody has invented ANYTHING that makes it obsolete. The old model T (o6) was so good that nobody in over 75 years has made anything in its class that clearly outperforms it. What is about the second most popular gun in the field today? A 308. A round that was designed to about mimic its father in a short action. Again it will no doubt be in the deer woods a 100 years from now. Wonder where the creedmore will be then. Probably in the history books.

No magic to it. Sales keep a round alive or kill it. How many 250 savages, 257 roberts, 6mms, 757s, 264s 300 H&hs are even standard chamberings in factory guns any more. Creedmores are not sold by the truck load. It will probably stay alive like those other rounds especially for the near future because comp shooters (who don't by off the shelf guns) will no doubt keep building them to some other flash in the pan round comes along that the newest greatest thing. But that's about it. Just look what happened to the 222 when the bench rest crowd found a new darling. Kind of like dating. You can take the prom queen to the prom mary her because she the hottest girl in school. put up with all her **** and find out you should have married good old reliable Susan instead. Good old susan is still making super and cleaning the house and probably looks better then the prom queen does with an inch of makeup and 20 years of sitting in the sun to get her tan.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 10-13-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Boolit Master

like i said, come people just have to complain about things.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast