Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox PBcastco
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmore - NOT

Boolit Master

6.5 Creedmore - NOT

I don’t need a 6.5 Creedmore.... cause I’ve got a 6.5 Sweedmore! Commercial 98 FN action marketed by Husqvarna. No offense to the Creedmore fans.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    I like it! A good friend recently completed his 6.5 Creedmore build and just started his 6.5 Sweedemore build. I was pleasantly surprised to hear this from him.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

You get all the good stuff!

Boolit Buddy
    6.5 Creedmore is supposed to be built specifically for accuracy at long distances. Yet my 260 remington will outperform the creedmore in all categories. So will the 6.5x55 Swede. All hype about a new cartridge that will fit the AR platform.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Oily View Post
    6.5 Creedmore is supposed to be built specifically for accuracy at long distances. Yet my 260 remington will outperform the creedmore in all categories. So will the 6.5x55 Swede. All hype about a new cartridge that will fit the AR platform.
    Long action or short action in your 260?

Just put together a 700 in 260. Zeroed it a few months ago but worked picked up so haven't shot it since.

I'm loving the round though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    I don’t need a 6.5 Creedmore.... cause I’ve got a 6.5 Sweedmore! Commercial 98 FN action marketed by Husqvarna. No offense to the Creedmore fans.
    I don't need most of the stuff I have.......nice Husky!

Boolit Master
    Love my Swede. It’s the CZ 550fs model.
    Hopefully this year it will help my take a big mule deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

That should be Swedemoor
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Well basically, the 6.5 CM was intended for a short bolt action rifle. But they wanted to use the longer heavier high BC bullets with it. So they had to shorten the case a little and blow it out some too. That allowed them to use the longer bullets without having too much case capacity lost to it. It also fit into the more short magazines too. Then it seems that the short fat cartridges are more inherently accurate than the long skinny cases. So it had some pluses when used with short bolt action rifles. But the .260 Rem is just as good, except with some models the rifling was wrong for using the longer heavier bullets though. Also, there is nothing wrong with the 6.5 Swede for that matter too. It is a great cartridge too.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 08-16-2018 at 06:38 PM. Reason: typo

My Rem 600 in 6.5 magnum, shoots 3/4" with handloads that fit in the magazine at 3000+ fps. And, that's out of an 18" barrel.

Boolit Master

A 6.5 Swede has class.
    The Creedmore only has followers.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

That is an absolutely stunning rifle. Nothing beats classic cartridges in my opinion

Boolit Master

That’s it as my avatar. It has a very unique rear receiver peep sight.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    I love the Swede, built over 100 of them from sporterizing militant rifles to full blown customs built on 98 or Savage 110 actions where they can be run to their tru potential. I have also built five 6.5x 284’s on Savage actions and the will run within 100 FPS of what the old .264 magnum runs in most bullet weights after extensive load development! The new 6.5 PRC only duplicates the 6.5-284 ballistics at best, out of a realistic hunting length barrel! I built one with a brand new Savage sporter take off with a 24” length on s action I trued up, adjusted the trigger and floated the barrel, stoked with 142 Sierra match kings or 140sp will shoot 3 shots into .300 of an inch at 100 yds, a little over half an inch at 200 yds, an 2” at 500 yds all day long, running 3100fps. In my experience 6.5 cm velocity are often exaggerated or from a 30” test barrel. I like all 6.5’s, but have yet to see a hunting rifle that will outperform the 2 cartridges I mentioned in 6.5!

Boolit Grand Master

True except for the one feature the spurred the Creedmoor's development. That is the ability to use the very long VLD or hybrid type bullets favored for long range competition in a 308 length magazine.

Boolit Master
    IMO the 6.5 bullets are in a sweet spot for BC vs weight to begin with. As far as what piece of brass one plugs it into depends on what you intend to do with it. I used a 260 Rem for years, and killed a bunch of deer with it, but in my 700 the throat was a little long compared to the magazine length the bullet could be seated out to. I've bought into the 6.5 Grendel in a Howa bolt action for much of my deer hunting now. It shortened my effective range by a couple hundred yards on the long end, but in reality, will probably take every deer I've ever killed just as cleanly as the 260 Rem, but in a 6lb gun. I'm a 6.5 whatever fan!

Banned

this America. Do it with a 30 cal!! I chuckle when some yuppy gun writer sings the praises of some new cartridge (probably getting kickbacks for doing it) that is vastly superior to what we already have. A good skilled shooter is much better armed with his 308 with a 3x9 leupold then some wet behind the ear magazine reader with his 6.5 creedmore and his 10.5x45 3000 dollar night force scope ever will. I guess I look at it this way. At a 1000 yards you have hold over with any gun. What difference does a foot of drop make. If you have to learn the trajectory of your load to compensate its just a few more clicks on the ajustments. Id bet 90 percent of the buyers of these new fangled rounds will never shoot them past 300 yards or even have access to a place that has a 1000 yard range.

Banned

I shoot a lot of deer every year. Many at long range (up to 500 yards or so). I went though a stage when I had to find what I thought was the best gun. When I started doing it I had an o6 308 and a 2506 for long range shooting. I acquired a 240 wby 257wby 7rem mag, 7stw, 300wsm 300 win 300wby 300 H&H 300 ultra 338 and 340 wby. and a few others im probably. I killed deer with all of them finding out what worked and what was an overkill. I kind of went full circle. today I use an 06 308 2506 and the only two mags I kept, my 240wby and my 300 H&H. 90 percent of my killing is done with the 240,06 and the 2506. The 300 h&h is used on rare occasions I kept it because I just think its cool. I found that if I learned a few guns I did better then trying to compensate with many different flatter shootin guns.

Boolit Master
    Always wanted a nice Swede of some sort. Wish I'd have bought a '96 (or three or four) when a nice one was a hundred dollar bill.

That said, my next factory rifle will be a Creed. They're opening a 1,000 yard range a little ways south of me, and I've always wanted to play that game. I'd not argue there are better cartridges for shooting 1,000 yards (remember, this is a game of being able to shoot a lot, accurately, economically, in an afternoon, those criteria alone are going to weed out a lot of stuff), and there are likely better cartridges to kill deer with (I've got a .25-06, a 7x57, a .45-70, and a .30-40 in the safe). But a Creed meets a few criteria that most don't.

-Factory 1:8 twist is the biggest one. A 147 Hornady ELD has a (factory claimed) G1 B.C. of .697. Good luck flinging that bullet out of a 1:9 twist at pretty close to sea level.

-The match crowd that actually shoots past 300 yards will just twist a few more tenths of a mil onto their target scope to make up any velocity differences. It's going to be running supersonic with VLD's way past what a .260 or 6.5x55 with a 1:9 twist is going to run. That and maybe a little wind drift advantage is all that matters anyway.

-The Creed case was designed to fit, in a Remington mag box with a 140ish VLD and be able to get close to the throat. The .260 does have more capatcity, but guys were milling a notch on the feed ramp so loooong bullets would feed.

I guess most of that is still pretty moot. Cause I'm prolly gonna buy a Tikka. Their actions are long enough that if I ever burn out the Creed barrel, I can do a Swede A.I.!!!!

Boolit Master
    30 cal for me,ive owned or do own about every caliber on the American chart and always fall back on the 308 and 300wm,im a hunter not a long range paper puncher and the 30 cal just works

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast