Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionGraf & SonsStainLess Steel Media
RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 6.5 Creedmore - NOT

Boolit Master
    The New Kid In Town! Oh wait, that’s a song by the Eagles!

When the 6.5 Creed first hit I was in overdrive buying take off barrels for Savage bolt guns. I had wanted to add a 260 Rem tube to my reserve but they were not to be had easily or reasonably priced at first but when the Creed took of suddenly the 260’s were flying off Savage bolt guns and hitting the internet.

My oldest nephew a bit later told me he was hankering a Creed. Well, I told him he ought to just keep pondering that move but in the meantime I would help him change his SA Savage to a 260 for a spell.

A year later I asked him how his desires were going for the Creed and he told me his Savage still in 260 was suiting him just fine!

Good thing I set him up with my blued tube instead of the pretty stainless barrel I am saving for my own maybe someday future build because I don’t think he is going to be parting with the blued 260 barrel I loaned him anytime soon!

Of course the donor action is still wearing a 257 Roberts barrel that I am very partial to. Do we suppose someone is going to invent a revolving cylinder barrel holder so I can set up and have several Savage barrels mounted to a Savage bolt gun all at once?

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; Yesterday at 10:59 AM.

Here in Texas I could get by just fine with a 6.5 Creedmor as my only centerfire rifle. Thank God and the 2nd Amendment I don't have to!!

What I find interesting is that the 6.5's in the Swede class fill a gap between the 308 and the 243. The 243 is more of a varmint rifle that can be used with loads adequate for deer. I played with one a couple of years and felt it had some shortcomings. My son in law has a 7mm-08 and for practical applications might as well be the 308. It is not that much more pleasant to shoot if any. The 6.5/260 class are actually about as pleasant to shoot as the 243. Sighting in I did not find the recoil objectionable nor did I have a bruised shoulder. My brother in law that bought one as his he likes to check out different rifles and he liked his old Swede. What he liked was that he shot up a box of cartridges tuning it in and felt little recoil effect. As he has shot all kinds of deer with his Swede, which was his go to rifle, even though he has several others. He has a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 308 in similar Brownings and definitely noticed the recoil difference.

I did not like the blood trail left by the 243 and think that the 100 grain bullets might be a little challenged on the larger deer we have in the Midwest. I saw enough shot with the Swede to be comfortable using that class of cartridge.

DEP

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456