MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3030 coyote load help

Boolit Master
    I have tried the 110 Vmax in my Savage 340 and it worked pretty well. Never shot an animal with it but it was pretty darn accurate. The 125gr Sierra was accurate as well. I've never shot cast through my Savage so I don't know what works in it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by warboar_21 View Post
    I have tried the 110 Vmax in my Savage 340 and it worked pretty well. Never shot an animal with it but it was pretty darn accurate. The 125gr Sierra was accurate as well. I've never shot cast through my Savage so I don't know what works in it.
    Thats was going to be my backup plan if i couldnt get the velocity i wanted with cast, either a vmax or a 110gr prvi soft point at 2400fps, i just hate the thought of paying for a jacketed bullet if i can get what i want for 1/10th the price and some tinkering.
    Plus while i am not doing it for the money, i do like the idea of offsetting the cost of calls/decoys etc with the pelts and dont want to destrot them.

It looks like the pelts of them is the main thing moving and up your way they should be better then what I get here. You get more if you sew up the holes and wash the fur in cold water to take all the dirt and blood out of the fur and you put them up yourself.If you do not know how see if anyone around you willing to teach you. Also check with the one you will sell the pelts to.If it gose to auction then they need to be done up.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Don't over think your choice... Know your gun and your load, put the slug through the shoulders and your coyote is dead.
    Larry Gibson stated it well when he characterized coyotes as "tenacious". It's attitude though; physically, they're nowhere near as tough as hogs.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Bub
    FINALLY got to the range, it was only a 25meter pistol range, but i was allowed to shoot the rifle so it had too do for now.
    I followed larrys advice and started low with the h4198, unfortunatly my rifle didnt seem to like any of the loads i prepared with the smallest group measuring 1.6" at 25m. i did seat them a bit short, i plan to load the same charges but seat the bullets longer this time.
    That being said, i did try several other loads and am optimistic that they will do untill i get my soupcan load sorted out.
    My 311008 went into .75" and gave me 1205fps with 5.3gr titegroup
    Noe sc 311 165 went into .73" with 8.7gr of power pistol at 1341fps. I had these loaded for another rifle which was sold, with the mold and the leftover power pistol, i found 76 cartridges in a box after moving so these are what i have (minus the 10 i shot today) unless i want to replace the mold.
    Groups were shot with a winchester 94 win-tuff, williams fp rear and a 1/16" red fiber optic front bead.
    I think i will use the power pistol load untill i get a higher velocity load squared away, or i run out of them and i will switch to the 311008 with titegroup, i hear plenty of coyotes have died to the 32-20 shooting a similar load. I will just need to pass on shots beyond ~90 yards untill i get some more trigger time at a proper range (hopefully at which time i will have success with something a bit flatter shooting)
    Thanks to everyone who contributed! I friggin love this place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180828_212808.jpg  

Moderator Emeritus

I agree with your choice. You should get an electronic call for the prairies. I can see some hanging up at 250 yards of more but others rush in like it's their last meal.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I agree with your choice. You should get an electronic call for the prairies. I can see some hanging up at 250 yards of more but others rush in like it's their last meal.
    Thanks, and my next "big ticket" item is going to be some kind of electonic call, and maybe a decoy that flops around like a dead critter, as it stands right this second i am going to be using a simple cottontail distress call (was on clearance for 10 bucks, i couldnt say no to that) and this feather decoy thing i made with stuff from my tackle box and an old warped arrow shaft
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180828-231552_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	226298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180828-231609_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	226299
    may put it on a longer stick or even hang it from a low branch situation depending (those are magpie feathers btw)

If they do want to hang out beyond my effective range i will be sure that all they learn is what my call sounds like, no sense educating them with the rifle.

Boolit Master
    Ive shot lots of varmints using electronic calls in years past. But Ive never owned or used any of the newer high quality and high priced versions.

Ive also used a pretty good selection of mouth calls. All will work sometimes but hands down the best Ive ever used is the Mini-blaster from Burnham Bros. At about $12 the price is hard to beat also.
    By biting slightly on the plastic you can make it sound very different. I don't believe it matters what it sounds like as long as it sounds like lunch.

I'm pretty hard on reeds and carry spares with me. Their pretty cheap and I order 5 at a time. If I don't like the way a reed sounds I just pluck it out and try another.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

Sound, scent and sight brings 'em in. I sprang for an electronic caller with a remote which allows me to place the caller up to 250 feet away from me. It also has a feather waving device and when I anoint the area with a decent scent. This is usually an unresistable combination.

I sneak quietly into my stand area, set up the caller and decoy feather device and retreat to a location where my back is to the sun and I am in shadow and take a seat. My rifle has a silent safety so I leave it on until I take my shot and I freeze. I also wear a camo face mask, camo gloves and dark clothing.

I start out with a low volume call for a few minutes. If no action then I up the volume slowly up to about 20 mins worth. I then stay put for another few minutes and keep careful watch.

One time after a full 25 minutes a bobcat suddenly pounced on the caller and knocked it over and generated a pile of dust while he tried to kill it. Luckily my shot missed the caller but hit him. Cats move much more slowly than the coyotes and they are hard to see. The caller survived with a few bites and scratches. The feather decoy not so much.

I generally use my CZ 527 FS .223 Rem with fmj Remington factory rounds and a Leupold 3x9 scope. I tried using my Mauser in 6.5x55 Swede with a 110 gr hollow point but it about tore the dog in half with a shoulder shot from the side. The pelt was worthless. The 223 cuts neater holes but has less range and knock down effect but I can live with it as it is a lot lighter, shorter and less gaudy than the custom Mauser.

I will take 125 yd shots with confidence with the .223 but with the Sweede I can tatoo a coyote out to 300 yds DRT. However most of my shots are taken within 50-75 yds or closer and I always pack a sixgun just in case we have really close up action.
    Last edited by Crash_Corrigan; 09-02-2018 at 09:48 AM.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I use my fox pro and lead bb shot out if my 12 gauge. 99% of my shots are 30 yards or less. Hammer of Thor! I use my shotgun being they all are running in full throttle and never stop for a pose. Close counts, I always put the bead on their head or nose and haven't missed yet. Call into the wind...with the wind in your face and the sun to your back.

Boolit Bub
    Quick update,
    5.9gr titegroup + 3/4gr dacron to keep it in place
    1430fps
    Rifle was my savage 340 with a williams foolproof (which i am no longer planning on selling). Group was shot at 25 yards so i will need to back off and see if it holds up at 100
    Measured .452 including the flinch to the right, i didnt bother measuring the cloverleaf on its own.
    I have no idea why the picture turned sideways
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180918_194209.jpg  
    Last edited by shootsblanks; 09-19-2018 at 12:35 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Mysterious are the ways of this board's software! If it works like it looks you are close to a good load, or there Nice holes in the target too, meplats help there.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks! And like i said, the one apart was a flinch, the guy beside me was shooting a 10" ar with a pretty brutal looking brake on it, he fired as i was starting to squeeze the trigger and i just knew it was a bad shot. that was shot #3 so i fired a 4th into the little cloverleaf, i went after with the caliper and it came to .113 center to center for those 3 shots! If group dispersion is linear (hopefully) and my aim is steady, when i get it out too 100 i could be looking at sub moa 3 shot group, i know 3 isnt the best indicater but thats what the mag holds and i only had the 4 rounds left after trying them with the 94 (grouped terribly with them btw). Will try not to get my hopes up, but it is hard not to be excited

When hunting ,for how it is for me the first shot is what you normal use and sometime 2 shots. So if you got that with the 3 shots do not worry. For how I see it .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Bub
    So i got out to my hunting spot nice and early this morning, 2 hours of fighting with a frozen call and a bad reed later i went back to the car and for coffee.
    Put my call on the heater, drank my coffee, blew into my call three times to see if it was working and poured another coffee.
    About 5 minutes later this little guy ran up 80 yards from the car and gave me a nice broadside presentation, and time to get out, load my rifle, get rested on a fence post... wasnt very smart this one.. i hit a bit back of where i wanted too but the bullet went where the sights were aimed when the trigger broke. My fault but thats just practice.
    I would call pelt damage minimal. He ran about 25 yards and dropped.
    Rifle is the savage 340 and load is the 311008 with 5.9gr titegroup and 1gr of dacron filler.
    First coyote ever for me and first kill with this rifle, was a pretty great morning.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180923_092707.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	227636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180923_092736.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	227637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180923_092800.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	227638

Boolit Master
    Hey! Congratulations. What's that white stuff on the ground? Calling coyotes is reall a blast when it all comes together.
    After coyote hunting successfully for a while deer become very easy.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    Now I know what a coyote load is for , it looks like your working it out .

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    CONGRATULATIONS!. Nothing like it, is there?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Bub
    It is great when it comes together, to be fair though.. i was kinda lucky the dog was dumb and ran straight at a parked car...
    That being said, hell of a rush, not sure why but it was different from deer hunting.
    I will be shooting many coyotes in the future of that i am sure

Boolit Buddy
    Typical coyotes are in the 30-35 lbs. range, no heavy bone structures, not nearly enough mass to upset bullets (other than the varmint-specific JHP's at high velocities). I would expect just about any cast bullet load in .30-30 to punch right through with minimal pelt damage.

I've shot a couple dozen or more coyotes with .30-06 cast bullet loads (Lee C309-170F, 30 grains H335, +/- 2000FPS, closely matching factory .30-30 loads), and that has been the result consistently. Straight through side-to-side, front-to-back, back-to-front, with exit wounds little different than entry wounds. Dead critter every time. Usable pelt every time.

Same load works very well in .30-30 also, and is deadly on Colorado mule deer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast