MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anatomy Question on the Ruger #1 Action

Anatomy Question on the Ruger #1 Action

One of my favorite rifles is a custom Ruger #2. For those unfamiliar, a Ruger #2 is a #3 that has been upgraded with #1 wood. Just in case anyone was wondering, when I originally bought the #3, it already had been rebarreled & modified, thus nullifying any collector value. I’ve always noticed that the firing pin strikes on the primers were off-center. Not a big deal since it doesn’t seem to effect the function, reliability or accuracy. But as of late, I’ve been developing some new loads & I started experimenting with indexing the cartridge in the chamber. I noticed that the primer indent was always low relative to the vertical centerline. Either the breech block is drilled low or the block is not being raised high enough when the action is closed. A call to Ruger was not very helpful since the rifle is not original & they no longer support #3’s. Their only recommendation was to try factory ammo. Duh! They did verify that the breech blocks & mechanisms were identical for #3’s & #1’s. You can click on pictures below for an expanded view.

So here’s my question for Ruger #1/#3 mechanics. Are there any parts or wear areas in the mechanism that could cause the action to close .006 too high?

As always, TIA for any comments or suggestions.

Attachment 225002

Attachment 225003
    Last edited by pertnear; 08-05-2018 at 01:36 PM.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Bub
    It's the barrel.... and if it always fires, I would stop looking at those primer hits before you punch them out

Greg in West Mitten

Boolit Master

".006 too high" I question your math. If the strike were that much higher, it would be .003 above center, no?
    I think you mean .003 too high.
    Respectfully,
    Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

The link from block to lever controls this. you look to be low so there may have been some "fitting" done at some point or wear in the joint. As long as its functioning and firing not having the disconnector block pin movement your good to go

I had a Win .218 Bee that the barrel had been set back to clean up a gouged chamber. It struck the primers farther out than yours; it always went bang and was a tack driver to boot. Nice rifle in a great little cartridge!

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    ".006 too high" I question your math. If the strike were that much higher, it would be .003 above center, no?
    I think you mean .003 too high.
    Respectfully,
    Bill
    Yeah, your right, my mistake. Thanks!

Since I've owned the action, it has gone through 2 different barrels & the rifle always exhibited the same off-center primer strikes. I've always blamed Ruger for drilling the breech block badly & poor QC. Only recently have I discovered that the alignment is on the vertical plane indicating that maybe the block is not lifting high enough. I was hoping someone had solved a similar problem & would say they tighten or replace such-n-such part to fix it right up. I guess I'll take oldlongbeard advice & just quit looking at the primers before punchin' 'em out!

Thanks everyone for your comments.
    Last edited by pertnear; 08-05-2018 at 01:29 PM.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    I bought a replica High-Wall from one of the Montana manufacturers that the firing pin hit .045 off center. Would misfire about one out of three. I would rotate the shell to a different location and try it again. Had one that took four hits before firing. To their credit they fixed it on their dime. As long as your rifle goes bang I wouldn't worry about it.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

I adjusted an IAC 74 Sharps for this. The breech block needed a little more up to line up enough to fire.

Boolit Master
    It’s my understanding from reading Frank deHaas is that the Ruger #1/3 were “loose-breeched,” i.e., there was appreciable space between breech end of barrel and breechblock, which was taken up by chambering shallow enough so the end of the cartridge made up the headspace difference. A rebarrel job with a tighter fit between block and barrel might not allow the block to go up as high, making the firing pin strike slightly low.

My original #1 in 7mm and #3 in .22 Hornet both have the strikes in the center of the primers.

Boolit Master
    I guess I'm confused. I thought the firing pin was in the breech block.

If it was raised too high, wouldn't the firing pin be too high also?
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Quote Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
    I guess I'm confused. I thought the firing pin was in the breech block.

If it was raised too high, wouldn't the firing pin be too high also?
    That is correct. I apologize for creating my own confusion!

I think your fired primers are normal. The fire primers of my rifle look the same as yours. Look at the drawing on page eight of the Ruger owner's manual. The Ruger No.1 firing pin is tipped up at a slight angle to the bore.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/ruger_no1.pdf
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021