Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: spout hole plugged, Lyman 20 pot

Boolit Buddy

spout hole plugged, Lyman 20 pot

I have a old Lyman 20 pot and the lead will not flow from the down spout. I had the lead at 715 degrees by my thermometer and tried to run a small drill bit on a vicegrip up the hole to unplug it and it did not clear it as it normally does. If I heat up the lead again to 700 degree, would it be safe to heat the spout with a propane torch and see if it will unplug. Or do I need to try to drill it open.

The propane torch will work fine. I have done that on several occasions.

Boolit Master
    and that is why I am a dipper )

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I have a Lee pot that has something driven or screwed in the spout. It was a gift. I have given up on getting it out. I am going to use it with my ladle.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Moderator Emeritus

Get a one lb Rowell and never look back.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I have to use a torch on my old Lyman 20 spout every once in a while. I use one of those push button and it lights torches. It occurs most often when casting light bullets in single cavity molds. Combine low casting temperature and slow flow rate you wind up with not much lead flowing thru the tip so it can cool below the melting point of the lead.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a small butane torch with 'trigger' ignite system.
    It works great to heat up a bottom pour spout.

Also, I use a right angle Allen wrench (of the correct size) to clean out a plugged spout on a pot that it up to casting temperature.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I've taken the bottom off of several pots in the past so that there is room for a drill. I'll run a drill bit of the correct size into the orifice to clean it out. You have to get the lead molten first and dump it out. This not only gets the lead but cuts the scale and slag out. If I go to the trouble to do that I'll also polish the plunger with some emory cloth.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GLynn41 View Post
    and that is why I am a dipper )
    Does that mean you like dips?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    I have a Lee pot that has something driven or screwed in the spout. It was a gift. I have given up on getting it out. I am going to use it with my ladle.

You can get a new pot for free with $10.77 shipping and handling

https://leeprecision.com/pot-20lb-standard.html

700, try 900

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    You can get a new pot for free with $10.77 shipping and handling

https://leeprecision.com/pot-20lb-standard.html
    I have a Lyman XX pot I use most of the time. I only use my Lee pots to keep the Lyman topped off.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

I have learned not to run my pot all the way empty while casting, as any crud that is floating on top of the melt can and will plug the spout.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Boolit Master
    I use a big paper clip and a pair of pliers when that happens. It's usually junk that finds it's way down there when I run too much alloy out. I have had to drain the pot once in the last 15 years and use some valve grinding compound on the rod that stops the flow to reseat it. I generally run my pot hotter than some people advocate, as it pours better with less problems.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Before you try that drilling method. Heat the pot to normal temp and touch a candle or beeswax to the bottom of the spout. You'll get some smoke. Do this several times and then using a straightened out heavy duty paper clip and a pair of forcepts, run it up into the bottom of the spout and usually this will open it. The wax seems to act as a flux and loosen the crud built up in the tube. Use gloves during this operation. Old crud gets built up in them and is hard to remove. Once free, empty the pot and scrub the inside with a brass brush. Clean the rod while you're at it and take a tapered dowel with a piece of crocus cloth and polish the seat for the rod. This will eliminate dripping as the rod depends on a metal to metal seal to eliminate leaking. Cleaning down to the spout is good as well if you can find the right size rod (coat hanger?). You'll be surprised how much crud comes out even using clean ingots and fluxing. Range lead is really bad about this and even WWs will do it. Do mine about once a year./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Moderator Emeritus

When you do it Beagles way, put a 90 bend in the clip and use pliers. It is easier on fingers.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

"Cold Spout" is a common issue with bottom draw furnaces. You can use a torch to heat the spout or a small drill bit held in vise grips from the bottom. Either method works.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.