MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: ProChrono Digital vs ProChrono PAL Chronograph

Boolit Master

ProChrono Digital vs ProChrono PAL Chronograph

Hello all, I'm looking at a new Chrono - been using the Competition Electronics 538002-SSI ProChrono Digital Chronograph for a while, but this morning it got shot. Sad story. I'm fairly happy with the Digital, but looking I see a very similar model Competition Electronics Pro Chrono Pal for over $20 less. What's the difference? Is it the ProChrono Digital has the optional Bluetooth, but the PAL doesn't? If that's the only difference, I'm not at all interested in that. All I want is the unit to sit on tripod and record fps strings.

I'm wondering if the units are the same other than the bluetooth option ability.

Thanks to all for any info.

Ken H>

Boolit Buddy
    The digital allows for multiple shot strings in memory the pal only allows for 1. The Bluetooth option is priceless though if you have a tablet or phone it records all your shot strings(and you can read data in real time). I name a shot string with my load data in the app I then can shoot a shot string of one charge weight then shoot a different shot string with the next charge weight/oal etc without walking down range to write down values or clear the previous string this allows me to chrono 10-20 loads all on separate shot strings recorded by load data at a public range without waiting for the range to go cold multiple times.

There is now the pro chrono Dlx which has the Bluetooth built in for 130 rather than having to buy the digital for 120 plus the Bluetooth module for another 60.

Boolit Buddy
    I made a trip with my digital before getting the Bluetooth module and I got far less out of my range time recording speeds by hand and calculating sd,es,& power factor the old fashioned way on paper. The app does all this for you and I now have all this saved on a device as well as printed from the app as a hard copy that I keep with my load data.

I would advise getting the dlx over the digital as the Bluetooth upgrade for the digital is like 60$ but if you have no interest in the Bluetooth the pal might be a better value but it only records 1 shot string as opposed to 9 strings on the digital or the dlx (or limitless if you use the app)

Boolit Buddy
    Here is a quick example of the plain text export of the data from a shot string. Within the app you can find weather data and individual shot info.

Name: 9mm NATO
    Shots: 22
    Average: 1143 FPS
    SD: 17 FPS
    Min: 1106 FPS
    Max: 1170 FPS
    Spread: 64 FPS
    Power Factor Average: 142
    Power Factor Low: 137
    Power Factor High: 145
    Weight: 124 grains

I have this data recorded multiple places for every round I've run over this chrono. As opposed to the previous data that got lost with my little log book I keep in the range bag.

Boolit Master
    I’ve shot first through, sad, bought a pro chrono, if this one gets it, a Magneto speed will be the next one I get so I don’t have to shoot thru or over so precisely.

i'm still using my competition electronics pro chrono digital from the bailey's sisters,and i'm very happy with it. very simple to operate,it records multiple strings,is 100% reliable ,displays consistent readings......and cheap lol. if it get shot by mistake(!!!) one of these days,will gladly buy another one without even thinking about other more costy solution.

Boolit Master
    Thanks to all for info - as mentioned I've had the digital, but looking at the cheaper PAL version I couldn't figure out the difference.

The digital allows for multiple shot strings in memory the pal only allows for 1.
    I think that explains it - with the digital I can switch shot strings, 1 thru 9 while with the PAL version it's only got the one string - is that correct? I would miss the multiple shot strings for sure.

Since 99.999% of my shooting is in my backyard having to wait for the range to be "cold" doesn't affect me, but can see where the bluetooth stuff might be nice. After I posted this question yesterday I read the thread "What kind of chronograph should I consider" I saw the Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph was pretty highly recommended. At only $73 shipped not a lot lost if I don't like it.

Now I realize the PAL limitation of only one shot string, reading about the Caldwell unit - I suspect it's only got the one shot string. BUMMER if this is true. Maybe the 15 ft cord back to Iphone on shooting table will work.

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...ograph.729810/
    Might be worth a call to Competition Electronics to see if they are still repairing/replacing @ 50%.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the link -I've got one my BIL shot for me. This contact info is now saved as I've tagged the thread.

For anyone interested, here is their contact info;
    (815) 874-8001
    competitionelectronics.com
    Last edited by KenH; 08-05-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    OK, got the Caldwell chrono today. Sorta disappointed in the unit - it does seem to work good, BUT - there is NO memory. All you can see is the single one shot you just took. No such thing as looking at a string of shots, average, etc. With the smartphone app you can see those things, but without a smartphone, not so convenient.

I'll play with this Caldwell unit some more using the smartphone app and we'll see how it all works. I'm sorta thinking I might should spend the extra $30 for the Chrono Pro Digital which is the one I've been using.

Boolit Master
    OK, I just got off phone with Crystal at Competition Electronics who says for the Pro Digital unit it would be $60 replacement plus $12 shipping. Not a bad deal - $72 for a new Chrono shipped.