Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: MP Mold - 9mm Round Nose 147 grain Competition boolit

Boolit Bub

MP Mold - 9mm Round Nose 147 grain Competition boolit

Has anyone started loading these yet ? I was wondering about OAL, I think I'm going to try 1.095 where the rim is even at the case mouth.

I made 11 of them and they cycle by hand great, I guess we will see what the chrono says

Boolit Buddy
    I have my first batch in the oven now. It will be a couple of weeks before I have any load results.

That said, I have the current 359-147 TC bullet he produces. If you load this down to the rim, would you mind pulling one or two to see if the base is swaged? I have a feeling it will be pretty deep in the case as the distance from base to rim on these looks to be about .040 longer than the other one.

I too am interested to know what others are doing for COAL.

Boolit Master
    I was planning on loading as long as possible and figured it'd be around 1.14. The nose of the bullet is really long and since it's a round nose you should be able to get over 1.1 easily. I cast a full 20 lbs pot of these over the weekend and will probably load some this week.

Boolit Buddy
    Initial impressions:
    If this mold shoots like it casts, I will seriously regret not buying two. On my PID, it seems to really like to run at 720 degrees. However, with eight cavities, the mold will get plenty hot and there is a good bit of dwell time before the sprue freezes. Two molds would be perfect to use in rotation.

I have the "smooth sided" version and upon opening generally two to four fall on their own with the remaining needing just the slightest tap on the end of the handles. The come out at 151g average and right at .360. I ordered the .358 version and am casting an alloy of approx 95/3/2 and am coating with Smoke's coating. Currently Traffic Orange.

I finished sizing about 200 last night. I bought this mold specifically because I hoped it would feed better in my AR9. Currently, in that I have been using MP 359-147 BB https://www.mp-molds.com/e-shop/mold.../mp-359-147-bb It has a bit of a TC nose to it and will hang up on entry as this platform does not have a feed ramp. In my AR9, I can seat them as long as I want and they will plunk fine. I seat to 1.145 for good feeding through the magazine and to get the nose as close to the lands as possible. Accuracy is quite good with about a 2-3" group at 50 yards out of an 8.5" barrel with a suppressor on the end.

I want to see if I could make these new round nosed pull double duty for my AR9 and my Canik for competition. The Canik has a groove diameter of .357 vs. .355 of the AR9. That means sizing to .358. In order to pass the plunk test reliably in the Canik, they will need to be seated to 1.125. That puts them just off the lands in that gun and approximately .090 below the "rim" of the bullet. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180807_070313.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	225140

Additionally, doing a bit of math this results in .050 more bullet being seated inside the case as compared to the 359-147 BB. As I am planning to use TiteGroup for this bullet, I'll definitely want to start a tad lower as a result of the reduced case volume. For the 359-147 BB, I started at 2.8g which gave me an average velocity of 950 FPS out of a 16" upper. 2.9g was the winner with this 10 shot group at 50 yards:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carbine Upper 50 Yards 359-147 2.9g Titegroup.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	225139

After seating 10 dummy rounds of the new 9mm Competition Round Nose to 1.125, they all fed from the magazine and hand cycled in the Canik fine.

I will likely start with this COAL and a starting charge of maybe 2.7g or 2.6g of TiteGroup.

I will update the thread with more results when I actually shoot them and am open to suggestions or input.

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded these in 38's and they shot great

Boolit Master

I'm still waiting for my 2 molds to be delivered..........

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Master
    I made it to the range over the weekend. I had cast some pretty soft stuff for use in my 929 revolver and used that for some starting loads in a Glock 17 and a CZ 75 B.
    3.4 N340 was right around 880 to 899 FPS in the 3 guns.
    3.0 Bullseye was about 10 FPS slower in the auto-loaders.
    The standard deviations were all real good with the highest SD being 11.6.
    Accuracy was good in the 929 and Glock, but only a couple of rounds hit the target at 25 yards with the CZ.
    OAL used was 1.145 and this function good in all guns, however the CZ and Glock barrels have both been seen Dougguy and have had their leades cut for lead bullets.

I've never posted info in a group buy results page so hopefully this is helpfull. I would consider these loads to be real good starting loads/plinking loads and probably good target loads with some small adjustments (maybe I'll trying sizing at .358 for the CZ???)

Boolit Man

I casted up a pot of these this morning and have a batch in the powder coating oven now. I plan to load up a test run with Vectan BA-9.5 powder.

Reddog my IDPA gun is a CZ-75B that Dougguy throated the barrel and I have had good luck sizing to .358 in it.

I have a batch of mine coated, loaded, and bagged, ready to test. I'm hoping powder coated wheel weight I should be able to push these to 1100-1150 to make 9 major, using 3n38, ranging from 6.0-7.2.mine drop at 152.35-.40 and right at 0.3585. Loaded to a coal of 1.11(i don't have a rn seating plug, so I'm using the jhp plug. It deforms the nose slightly, so they're "technically" loaded longer.) I'll need to send ch4d a few bullets and get a plug made

My 124 jhp load is 9.2 with a pf of 172

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    I have a batch of mine coated, loaded, and bagged, ready to test. I'm hoping powder coated wheel weight I should be able to push these to 1100-1150 to make 9 major, using 3n38, ranging from 6.0-7.2.mine drop at 152.35-.40 and right at 0.3585. Loaded to a coal of 1.11(i don't have a rn seating plug, so I'm using the jhp plug. It deforms the nose slightly, so they're "technically" loaded longer.) I'll need to send ch4d a few bullets and get a plug made

My 124 jhp load is 9.2 with a pf of 172

*this load data is above book numbers, in an aftermarket barrel. PLEASE start low and work up*

A follow up, I landed on a load of 6.6 grains vv 3n38, coal of 1.11, lit by a cci small pistol magnum. 25 yards, groups were a bit smaller than my first. Velocity an astounding 1195 10 shot average!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Landshark9025 View Post
    I have my first batch in the oven now. It will be a couple of weeks before I have any load results.

That said, I have the current 359-147 TC bullet he produces. If you load this down to the rim, would you mind pulling one or two to see if the base is swaged? I have a feeling it will be pretty deep in the case as the distance from base to rim on these looks to be about .040 longer than the other one.

I too am interested to know what others are doing for COAL.
    Sorry for long delay, work is getting in the way of fun again. Yes at 1.09 it did swage the bottom of the bullet, they shot well but i will be seating to 1.125 ish for the next ones

Boolit Master
    Finally loaded and shot this boolit. I HiTek mine, but went with the lube groove version, unlike the mostly slick sided MP and Accurate molds I got before. Still need to do accuracy testing, but I was pleased to find that I could load a couple to three tenths less powder compared to the other styles of the same weight and get the same velocities. It should have been obvious, but I hadn't realized that the reduced bearing surface of the driving bands would make such a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Finally loaded and shot this boolit. I HiTek mine, but went with the lube groove version, unlike the mostly slick sided MP and Accurate molds I got before. Still need to do accuracy testing, but I was pleased to find that I could load a couple to three tenths less powder compared to the other styles of the same weight and get the same velocities. It should have been obvious, but I hadn't realized that the reduced bearing surface of the driving bands would make such a difference.
    That makes sense. Less friction means less energy

Boolit Bub
    I missed this initially. Very interested in future follow ups on this boolit.

Vendor Sponsor

there are some left....
    go to

https://mp-molds.com/e-shop/

and use

9mm/38-147

in quick search
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose