MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: New Lee Breech Lock Progressive Press

Boolit Buddy

New Lee Breech Lock Progressive Press

I been looking at this press was going to try it
    Anyone buy one if so what your views on the press

There are several threads regarding the press on here if you’ll do a search I like mine can’t compare to anything else since all of my others are single stages I’d post links for ya but I’m not that bright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I just checked it out .
    It looks solid.
    Bigger than the Pro1000.
    Looks like it has more space under the dies. But it might just look that way.
    Looks like the same shell holder and the Pro1000
    Strange that it spins opposite of the Pro1000.
    The little finger that hold the shells into the shell plate should be spring loaded.
    It seems to do the samething as the Pro1000.
    It is nice looking.
    Hope someone get one and reports back.
    Price is very reasonable.

Boolit Master
    I have one coming it will arrive next Tuesday.

abunaitoo there's a big difference between the Pro 1000 and the Breech Lock Pro.

the Pro 1000 only has 3 stations the Breech lock has 4, the primer on the Pro 1000 is terrible on the Breech lock it's at least trouble free, the timing always goes out on the Pro 1000 the Breech lock has an alignment pin to keep that from happening, there are a few other small things as well, enough things are better that for the first time in 20 years I paid full pop for a new used press!

By the way the shell plies won't interchange, not only are they 4 station instead of 3 but their bigger too!

No burn intended, just education on anew product.

HM

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    I have one coming it will arrive next Tuesday.

abunaitoo there's a big difference between the Pro 1000 and the Breech Lock Pro.

the Pro 1000 only has 3 stations the Breech lock has 4, the primer on the Pro 1000 is terrible on the Breech lock it's at least trouble free, the timing always goes out on the Pro 1000 the Breech lock has an alignment pin to keep that from happening, there are a few other small things as well, enough things are better that for the first time in 20 years I paid full pop for a new used press!

By the way the shell plies won't interchange, not only are they 4 station instead of 3 but their bigger too!

No burn intended, just education on anew product.

HM
    um...Newest Pro1000 has an alignment shell plate pin too
    From Titan:
    "The new design Pro 1000 has a positive index locating pin that eliminates indexing problems."
    just more education,
    Last edited by Kenstone; 08-09-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    that's good news!

I wonder if my old Pro 1000 can be retro fitted at home?

HM

Boolit Master
    went to Lee's web site and yes they have, partially, re designed the Pro 1000, mostly the base and linkage but it is still a 3 station press which is ok for those loading jacketed rounds.

I couldn't find anything on the alignment pin, I'll go to Titan's site next and see what I can learn.

By the way all the old style base's for the Pro 1000 will probable dry up?

HM

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    went to Lee's web site and yes they have, partially, re designed the Pro 1000, mostly the base and linkage but it is still a 3 station press which is ok for those loading jacketed rounds.

I couldn't find anything on the alignment pin, I'll go to Titan's site next and see what I can learn.

By the way all the old style base's for the Pro 1000 will probable dry up?

HM
    https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...s/lee-pro-1000

My Pro1000 must be broken or I''m not using it right because I don't have problems with it getting out of time or with the on press priming system.

The New Pro 1000 is now using the same base as the new Value Turret press and the Breech Lock Pro and I like my Pro1000 so much that if they would have changed it to the 4 hole turret and shell plate there would be one on my bench already.

As it is I am seriously looking at adding a Pro4000 for the fourth station where I can use the FCD. Not certain I approve of the breech lock bushings over the turret but I do believe the Safety Prime system will be a blessing for those that struggle with the primer on the Pro1000.

HeavyMetal the new shell plates and carriers with the Pin are backwards compatible with the old style press and the old style can be used with the new press but the Pin in the base has to be removed in the Pro1000. Lee has already disco'ed the old style bases along with the posts and the kit to change from 3 hole to 4 hole turrets. Also Lee will not sell the new Pro1000 as a bare press like they do with all the others. I already asked.

Boolit Master
    I just can't bring myself to want a breechlock press .. Too old fashioned I guess.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I went to Titan's web site and found the diagrams that Keystone was also kind enough to put in this thread.

Got to see where and how the alignment pin located, so for those are wondering: some of the old Pro 1000 parts will work BUT will require pulling the alignment pin out of the new base [ real dumb idea] or drilling the old style shell plates for the alignment pin holes, might be easy might be hard guess depends on how hard the shell plates really are.

Now I think it would be impractical to do just one old style plate BUT if you have 4 or 5 of them [ at 15.00 each to replace] like I do it will be worth looking into.

All the internal parts of the carrier have carried over except the carrier because the new carrier must clear the alignment in the new base.

Pretty much everything below the carrier has been changed and the old stuff is gone or soon will be.

This means, and is only my opinion not fact, that rebuilding your old Pro 1000 is going to be more complicated than it was.

For those who did the roller handle up grade your about half way there which will save a few bucks.

We'll just have to see what the rest of the parts will cost and then judge from if we scrap the old style Pro 1000 or not.

Again this is only my opinion but why buy a new, or old, Pro 1000 when you can buy the breech Lock Pro for the same money, gave or take a few bucks,and get a better 4 station press to boot?

Will the Pro 1000 go the way of the Dinosaur because of the Breech Lock Pro?

Only time will tell but reason enough to up grade the old style you can.

Food for thought!

HM

Boolit Grand Master
    I use the Pro1000 for loading only. Size, clean and prime outside of press.
    The Pro1000 priming system works, but you have to watch it all the time. Just not worth the bother.
    I have so many presses, I really don't need another one.
    But it's so interesting to see new products.
    One thing I don't like about the new press, is all the plastic.

I have posted much about this new press in these past couple months. At first, questions on whether anyone has seen anything on it because it was so new. Then as I found things on this press I have commented on my unseen impressions and then even compared this to the old Pro1000 press.

Once again I will state that I am a user of the Pro1000 and enjoy using it just as it was designed to be used with 3 dies and No FCD. So yes priming on the press. As abunaitoo has stated, the priming needs to be watched all the time. Well my thought is that priming no matter which tool or method you are using needs to be watched at all times. I've watched too many videos of people sitting at a progressive press and just blindly and routinely pulling the handle and watching things drop in a try. All's Good! Wish I was that confident in my abilities that after loading 50-100 rounds I could just start putting them in boxes after a quick once over look. Even on the Pro1000 and priming on the press I'm only turning out about 150 per hour at best. I know for many of you that is extremely slow for a progressive press.

So As my last topic opened was in regards to this Breech Lock Pro and adding one, it in no way is meant to replace my Pro 1000 because it won't. It is because I now have a pistol that is very finicky about reloads and I need to finish those rounds with the Carbide Factory Crimp Die. The other option is to add a new 2018 Value press that is now using the same base as the new Pro1000 and Breech Lock Pro. I believe the new turret press will still be much slower than the new progressive Pro4000