RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: 1st Year Win 1894 38-40. Refinished value?

Boolit Grand Master

1st Year Win 1894 38-40. Refinished value?

i was in a small lgs the other day looking at a rack of 30-30'sb 32sp, 38-55's etc prices in the $300-$500 range. He also had several Savage 99's in 300 for about $300. All good shape but one caught my eye.
    A 4 digit ssn 1894. It has a 26in round barrel, stock with no chips or cracks, screws fresh etc. Sights appear correct but the rifle has been refinished. It appears to be professional as the blueing is deep and even with the wood sanded and very nice.
    Since it has much less collecter value now, what would be a good price for the old shooter? I was thinking of cast and bp or very light smokeless loads.
    Asking price is under $1,000 but he will move on that
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    If it’s a Winchester in 38WCF it is a 92.

Boolit Grand Master

Stamped 32-40
    Last edited by jonp; 08-04-2018 at 05:54 AM.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I don't know if this got posted twice or not but here it goes. Being an early model I would do some serious checking on it. I see no reference in the Cody records of the 94 being made in pistol cartridges until much much later and then in 357. 44 mag and 45 Colt. There was 32-40 of course so could the stamp be wrong or worn with the refinishing? I don't see where it was ever made in 38-40 at all. Maybe a re-barrel when refinished? As far as value......that would be up to you what you would pay for a shooter rifle. being refinished seriouslly dropped the value to a serious collector but it could be perfect for your use but I would do some checking about the caliber.

Boolit Grand Master

Your right, of course. I misstyped the caliber. It is a 32-40

Boolit Grand Master

Brass will be a booger to get and I would stick with lighter loads in the earlier gun. Say 1350 or so fps max with proper powder. Not a gun to hot rod as it will have the earlier steel in the barrel. 32-40 is and was a super accurate ctg and easy to load and a joy to shoot.

Ditto ... a great old cartridge that is best suited to cast boolits and light charges of smokeless. Extremely accurate cartridge. My usual pet load is a 165 grain Rapine plain base boolit over about 12 grains of 2400. I shoot that load in about 5 different single shots and lever guns with good success.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Banned
    Value ... I think people get to worked up over perceived collecter value .
    I understand that no one wants to over pay , but if you worry about the cost to much you will never get the things that you want .

My personal criteria on antique rifles are simple , if I can afford it and the asking price is a number I am happy with i give absolutely no consideration to any other numbers .
    Does it really matter what anyone else values it at ?

If your looking at any resell value there a pretty good chance it's not something that you really want in the first place .

Boolit Master
    qas to value any where from $300 to $1500 plus. depending on options and model rifle or carbine. carbines in .32-40 are rare. brass is no problem. just resize and fire form .30-30. use the lyman 165 gr. bullet for 8 m/m.h drop tu

I won a hundred yd. match with a 94 rifle with cases made from .30-30 cases and that bullet loaded with 35 gr. 2f through a 24 inch drop tube. spg lube.

Like the man said ...if you feel froggy jump ....but if your asking to be enabled to "possibly" over pay ...slow down and take a breath ..in the bright light ...a refinished old timer is a shooter period! ...this one even requires special effort to provide it munitions ...and will always remain in the price range of a shooter ...but were I to put that kind of $$ in an 1892 it would have to be a pretty slick original ...not talking flawless ...just acceptable wear for the age ...haven't shopped this gun in awhile so jumped on G'Broker and quickly found several guns that is ...if they close (auction) close to present $$ are good investments ...one a SRC 30WCF, one a 38-55 that is a deluxe grade takedown that the seller does not know what he has ..etc etc ....be patient is all I am saying ...not knocking any urges ...you know....we need to be kind of a support group to each other sometimes ...heavens knows I've needed it many times to kool me down

Bear

Boolit Grand Master

Not looking at resell or collector value. With this gun completly refinished thats off the shelf. Im just interested in shooting it and wondered what everyone would give if they ran across one

Boolit Grand Master

Since it's a shooter age doesn't matter to the price, only to safe shooting. Age only matters to a collector - we want something to shoot. What are you willing to pay for a shooter at any age?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Refinished and re-blued $600 it ain't a collector gun no matter HOW good a job it was. $600.00 is fair for a good looking shooter with a good bore.