MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Original Lee Auto Prime VS newer versions...

Boolit Master

Original Lee Auto Prime VS newer versions...

I have a couple of complete sets of the original with the round primer tray and use them often. I also use the Lee Auto Prime II on top of a Partner press when I am loading larger cases where I might hit a crimp I missed, or I do not feel like priming in front of the tv. My point, I really like the product.

I have not blown either up yet, but some of the parts are really starting to wear and i see the New Auto Prime and the AUTO PRIME XR. Does anyone use one of the new ones and have history with the old units? How do they compare? Do they feel better in the hand or have more leverage?

Would really welcome your input.

Thanks Matt

Boolit Master

I've had every lee priming device except the original hand primer with screw on shell holders. I liked the original but the handles would break. The updated version is ok, the ergo prime is pretty good, the auto prime II is nice. I really like the bench prime a lot. But with a hand primer my preference is the new franklin arsenal, it rocks. It's heavy duty and comes with a large selection of shell holders, it also will use the Lee primer shell holders. You can adjust the depth of the primer very easily as well.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the input! Will have a look at it.

I love the old lee primer. I found if you keep a little Vaseline at the pivot point it will last forever.
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I love the old Lee auto primes .I bought a few off eBay so now I have enough to last me quite a while . The other Lee's work ok they just arnt the original. I bought a bench prime but mine will not feed the small primers the large ones do ok . The small just will not feed right.

I tried a couple of the newer Lee auto prime tools. The Ergo prime gave me better leverage by a fair margin over the others.
    I do the majority of my priming on press these days.

The old auto prime was great. I bought the ergo which felt good in the hand but the trays are annoying. Lee sinced changed them. I now have a Frankford Arsenal unit for single stage reloading. I almost always prime on my Dillon 550.

Boolit Buddy

Adding a strip of grip tape to the lever and the handle that rests against your hand significantly improves the feel / sensitivity of both the auto and ergo prime.

That said, I am presently waiting for a Frankford Arsenal unit to arrive. Hopefully I will not have to replace a tray cover every year or so with the brand change. The current retro fit for the ergo model just looks like a mess waiting to happen.

Boolit Master
    I used to use a Lee, but now use an RCBS auto bench primer. It's faster and seats with a good feel.

Boolit Master
    I used an Ergo prime for about 4 years and probably primed well over 20000 rounds with it before it broke. The slot that the shell holder slides into at the top split in two, pretty disappointing since I really liked it. Then since I had all the Lee shell holders I got the new Auto prime, so far I do like it and especially like how much better you can feel how the primer is seating. It is a little harder on the hands but I'll just keep using it either until it breaks or my hands can't take it with my arthritis anymore. If I had it to do over I think I'd just spend a little more and get the Frankford Arsenal hand primer, at the time I purchased the Lee I was unemployed and watching my money closely.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I love the old Lee auto primes .I bought a few off eBay so now I have enough to last me quite a while . The other Lee's work ok they just arnt the original. I bought a bench prime but mine will not feed the small primers the large ones do ok . The small just will not feed right.
    I have a couple few Auto Prime IIs. I like the hand held round trays and probably have around 10. Nothing as good as the Round Trays. Also got 10 replacement lids that Lee stopped selling. Now that I have a couple Lee Bench Primes I am using those more and more. You should contact Lee and get the Bench Prime working with the small primers. I will never prime on a Press. Personal preference.
    Last edited by jmort; 08-12-2018 at 10:51 AM.