RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: What do you guys think about browning a rolling block and barrel?

Boolit Master

What do you guys think about browning a rolling block and barrel?

I have a Huusqvarna 12.77x44 that I have gotten to shooting pretty well, even though it had the crudest sights ever. I removed them and sweated on a ramp front, and a dovetail with Ruger type flip down rear sight. I was going to hot blue it, but one side is heavily covered with fine pits. I decided to do a slow rust brown on it, since I had some ML's that have been browned in that fashion and still look new after 25+ years! I also have a friend who has some Rem. Rollers in .22 Long, mint condition, that were ordered in Butternut brown, on the packing slip from Remington, his family had ordered them around 1910, and kept the boxes and paperwork, what are the odds of that happening. So last night I stripped down the old Swede, and degreased it, put a matt finish on all the parts with a soft wire wheel, and put my first coat of browning solution on, was rewarded this morning with a fine chocolate brown coat on all areas except 2 spots. I gently carded of the rust and applied a second coat, by this afternoon it looked good, so I applied a third coat about 5:30pm. Usually takes 4-6 days to get a good scald, and it gets to the point it wont take any more, just pools up and runs off. , I am going to polish the hammer and block to a chrome finish, should contrast nicely with the dark brown. I am also redoing the wood, have it sanded and first two coats of stain on it, may need someone to help me post picks when done!

Boolit Master

Please show us some pictures of your work.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I love the look of a brown gun. I use Birchwood Casey Plum Brown, what product are you using?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I use Laurel Mt Forge available from Brownells. I have browned over 50 guns using their products and directions, comes out with s coat of brown as thick as a fingernail, I kill it with boiling hot water with some baking soda, scrub it down with steel wool as I pour the water over it, the either rub in a good coat of linspeed oil or tru oil. This seals off the brown, stops oxidation, and makes the brown brown even darker!

Boolit Master

T b G
    Do you heat the gun with the Plum Brown?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Well really too late to give an opinion, since you've done it. But I really like browned barrels. Not so much on browned receivers though. I prefer color cased, and since Al Springer does them so nicely, and at a great price, I'd do it cased, with a browned barrel myself.

Boolit Master

You probably can't see this but it is a Browned barrel and cased receiver that I built many years ago. Fun little 357mag.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 357 Martini 001.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Years ago I rust browned my Lyman Great Plains and it still looks awesome! I don't remember the boiling water though? I think that would be a GREAT finish on a 'roller!
    hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I only have about $300 in the rifle, did not want to send it out for cashardening, as that would no hide the pits on one side of the receivers, which the thick coat of rust brown has nearly done already! I hope to finish it by Monday,

Old guns should not be gauded up with fresh color case hardening and highly polished blue. Brown is best.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Old guns should not be gauded up with fresh color case hardening and highly polished blue. Brown is best.
    I can't agree there. If a gun is bad enough, it will always look better if properly restored. I've done several, and don't regret any of them!

This one was a mess too.

New barrel, stocks, and after a lot if polishing to remove pits, I put $80 into color case work.

This one was a mess too. Saving only the receiver and buttplate.

This one was all hot blued and edges rounded over from power buffing.

Not all old guns should be restored. But if we do restore them, we should do them properly, with the correct original style finish.

Boolit Master
    Polishing the hammer and block to a chrome-like finish? My first thought was 'no' but... then again it might look pretty sharp.
    Hope to see the pics!
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

If there is no collector value I see nothing wrong with making a nice gun from a rusting hulk.
    This is an 8mm Swedish roller that had the upper tang welded. I hung an old 40-65 barrel I had and a Tree Bone stock and Rust blued it. I have considered getting the receiver cased but it looks OK and shoots minute of deer.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 71' Rolling Block 002.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    T b G
    Do you heat the gun with the Plum Brown?
    Yes I do. I use a simple propane torch and heat to where water sizzles on it. I'm doing an old Rem 510 .22 now. I have a .54 Renegade that's next but I'll do that big barrel in the winter when I can lay it on the old propane heater to warm it up.

In Remembrance
    On some barrels that I have browned, if I can take the breechplug out I suspend the barrel vertically. After de-greasing the barrel, I direct the flame of the propane torch into the breech end. This heats the barrel up very quickly and uniformly (like a chimney), just a couple of minutes is all it takes.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM