Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: MEC 650 why 2 holes for bolt to hold center column?

MEC 650 why 2 holes for bolt to hold center column?

In the base there are two places one can run the bolt that holds the older MEC 650 upright bar with the tool head mounted on it. Only one hole will line up to run the bolt through so why does it have two?

Is the top bolt hole to move things up for 3 inch shells?

Should a properly adjusted MEC 650 (old style) be able to be adjusted so it sets the crimp properly when the handle bottoms out. It seems a challenge to get all the dies adjusted so that the stop point is right for all the stations.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    2 3/4" shells
    OR
    3" shells
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 08-02-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Here is a link to Mec to download the manual.

https://www.mecshootingsports.com/owners-manuals-sr

Sent you a PM
    Last edited by 300winmag; 08-02-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your elders will teach you WISDOM.
    300winmag

Boolit Master

Good to know that I can raise the tool head and load 3" shells. It looked like that might have been the idea but I wasn't sure if the base might have been used for more than one model press and the "extra" hole was for a different press.

This old model 650 is starting to come together. It is mostly working at each station but I'm trying to iron out the bugs and glitches that keep it from running smoothly. Crimp stop so the crimps are consistent is one of the big ones.

The MEC manual has some useful information but it sort of assumes it was configured correctly from the factory and tweaking is all that is required. This has been taken apart for cleaning and replacement of several parts and is sort of starting from scratch. Newman setting up a progressive press with zero experience using one. Like watching a left handed dyslexic write, fun to watch but a struggle for them to get it done.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Banned
    My MEC loaders were purchased years ago and were well used when I got them. The designs are sound and the materials are good. They are solid machines.
    Most of the problems I see with other people's MEC loaders are long term operation without any lubrication and use of improper components.

Once you get one sorted out, it will run perfectly for years. I've had to replace shot/powder bottles when the plastic got old and brittle and one crimp starter when the old one finally just fell apart. For the most part, they chug happily along.

Good Luck

Meeting a forum member that has one of these old 650's on Sunday for assistance in setting it up. And testing just a few shotgun loads
    I had to repair the bottle holder by drilling out a cap and attaching it with JB Weld. On the powder side so hoping it holds for awhile. Seems solid enough. Will probably end up buying one of the newer carriers with the bushings that the bottles thread into. Just would rather wait a bit to buy more parts.

Each station works pretty well and it seems solid. Index is smooth and positive. I think once I learn the last bits about set up and I'll be cranking out some shot shells. I do hope to use it to load 3" shells with round ball and large shot or small buckshot which may take a bit of fiddling around to set up and develop a routine that doesn't use the shot measure. I don't think #4 shot or #1 buck will flow through the drop tube. No doubt I'll figure something out. Or get some excellent advice here.