Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timney trigger for Enfield 1914? Definite no. Definite no. Definite I don't know.

Boolit Master

Timney trigger for Enfield 1914? Definite no. Definite no. Definite I don't know.

I have an Enfield P14 made by Winchester in 303 British that needs a trigger pretty badly. I'm told that the Timney P17 will definitely not fit. I'm also told that the Timney P17 6-shot definitely will fit...

Anyone have input on this? I called Timney and they said no but refused to say why. It may be a lawyer no or it maybe a real no. I couldn't tell.

I also posted this in the gunsmith forum in hopes someone may have seen something...
    [

In Remembrance

I can understand wanting the crisp trigger-pull of the Timney replacement trigger, but you can get the whole trigger/sear assembly from Numrich (Gunpartscorp) for less than $20. The P-14/M1917 2-stage trigger is usually a very good one. The one I have on my Win P14 breaks at 3.5 pounds. The M1917 Remington is more like 5 pounds, but both make a very "clean" break. Some of the after-market single stage triggers sold for these rifles are known to fire when the safety is flicked off if the trigger has had any movement.

Boolit Master
    I'm going to do a clean and de-crud. It might help. The trigger has a bad habit of flopping around. It's very disconcerting. I replaced the trigger in my Gibbs replica 1903 with a Timney and it was instant gratification.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    I'm going to do a clean and de-crud. It might help. The trigger has a bad habit of flopping around. It's very disconcerting. I replaced the trigger in my Gibbs replica 1903 with a Timney and it was instant gratification.
    It definitely shouldn't flop around. My p14 had a very decent trigger pull just like Curator's. Shoot the carburetor cleaner to it and try again. Dayton traister might make a trigger for it and they require minimum in letting to fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Dayton Traister does seem to make one for the P14/P17 ...but Brownells lists it as special order and 5 to 8 weeks to get it. I can't seem to find Dayton Traister's home to get it from them...

Interesting though that the PN for the P17 and P14 seem to be the same.
    [

Boolit Master
    I think they are the same trigger. The Dayton-Traister trigger comes with a speed lock, cock on opening, or it used to. If the trigger is loose, somebody may have changed the pin. Enfield pin has a head. You can take a coil or two off the spring and help the trigger pull.

Boolit Master
    I've gotten several notes from people, plus there is an answer in the Q&A in Brownells that say the 6-shot Timney fit their P14 Enfield. I'm ordering one and see what's what.
    [

Boolit Master
    Original mag capacity at least in the 30-06 version was six rounds. This with the original unaltered trigger guard, if the trigger guard has been altered to remove the offset then mag capacity drops to 5 rounds. When the guard was altered you also had to shorten the magazine. Hence the different triggers. At one time Timney did make two triggers one for 6 rounds and one for 5 rounds. Not having a P14 in 303 British not sure about the original mag capacity. Frank

Boolit Master

If it "flops around", it sounds like one and/or two issues.
    Partially depends on what "flops around" is.
    The trigger pin is too small in diameter.
    The trigger spring has been cut until it is too short.

A
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

In Remembrance

When I was doing a straightened floorplate custom job on either the `14 or the `17 model I used the Timney 5 shot trigger model.Robert

Boolit Master
    I'll find out Tuesday when Brownells 2nd day edge is due to deliver. I'll report back the results...if anyone cares about such a limited interest subject.
    [

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Timney use to make them. I bought a timney trigger and installed in my buddy's 30-06 enfield about 18 years ago. It was on Clearance at our gander mountain in their bargain bin for $29! I never adjusted it out of the box. It brakes in his rifle at a crisp 2.5lbs and feels like it's under 2 to me. I bedded the rifle in an extra enfield stock I found in the wall at a house I bought at the time. It shoots .5" groups at a 100 yards with 125 gr ballistic tips loaded at 3250fps.

The rifle is at my house now as we speak. He replaced the rifle with a ruger American 06' last month.

The original trigger is long gone buy I'm sure he'd sell you the whole rifle but would not part it out.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-05-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Guess I'm the new owner of it. I just traded for a pair of scope rings I mounted on his RA and $15

Might have to order a Boyd's laminate stock for it

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    I'll find out Tuesday when Brownells 2nd day edge is due to deliver. I'll report back the results...if anyone cares about such a limited interest subject.
    Please do update... I have a P14 barreled action in .300 Win. mag that's been collecting dust in the back of the safe for years. You'd save me some grief if you figure out which is the correct part number for the both of us.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KVO View Post
    Please do update... I have a P14 barreled action in .300 Win. mag that's been collecting dust in the back of the safe for years. You'd save me some grief if you figure out which is the correct part number for the both of us.
    Will do...delivery will be tomorrow.
    [

Boolit Master
    Ok, trigger arrived via Fedex Brownells Edge 2nd Day Air.

It fits. There was no issue at all. The only thing I had to do is relieve the stock, like you do with all Timney Triggers. It dropped right in. They give you a small spacer plug to replace the original trigger spring with. Drop that in, put the OEM pin through and tighten down the trigger and she is perfectly set.

My Enfield is a P14 .303, unmodified Winchester...the Timney model that fit was the:
    883-100-115WB
    E1-5-SP
    Trigger fits 1917 Enfield
    (Military 6 Shot Mag)

This is off Brownells sight
    [

Have you measured your trigger pull yet? Every timney I ever installed would end up between 2 and 3 lb. And I usually left them that way. It's kind of funny when I was young I could not stand cock on closing actions, now they do not bother me at all! I like watching that big ol Striker take a day and a half to reach the primer. It really teaches you proper follow-through technique.

I'll have to post a pic of the old timney I bought years ago mounted in my newly acclaimed rifle. Wonder if it's the same as yours. Mine brakes a 2 1/2 lbs out of the box. Never adjusted it, just installed and left it be. It's so crisp it feels lighter than a factory trigger I just adjusted down to 2 lbs. I love my timneys, bet I have a good dozen mounted in my rifles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Have you measured your trigger pull yet? Every timney I ever installed would end up between 2 and 3 lb. And I usually left them that way. It's kind of funny when I was young I could not stand cock on closing actions, now they do not bother me at all! I like watching that big ol Striker take a day and a half to reach the primer. It really teaches you proper follow-through technique.

No I haven't but I will. I have one of those Wheeler electronic trigger pull gauges that I use way too little. I'm not going to bother to adjust it. It's awesome the way it is. I may change my mind later but as it sits, it's a miracle. I'm going to Acraglass bed it all, develop some loads and see how well the old battle axe shoots now. The rifle lost most of its value previous to me as it was refinished to almost new condition. However, it shoots random sized groups. it looks great though. The head space is tight and the barrel while not sparkly bright is pretty good.
    [

Boolit Master
    I just can't figure out why Timney will tell you that their trigger will not fit a P14 when it clearly does.
    [

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast