Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 69 caliber minie ball

Banned

69 caliber minie ball

Has anyone tried shooting a 69 caliber minie ball in a wad from a rifled barrel?

Banned
    Greetings, I have a few here and they measure .686 to .690. I have never tried them but when I put them in Fed. 12C1 wad they measure about.740 to .745 at the base
    and is very tight in Fiocchi hull, other wads are thicker. As I measure the upper part then its .728 to .730 inch which is fine. If you could make a sizing die to size them down to .680 it should be a fine fit but do not forget its a longer bullet measuring 1.058
    inch and weigh 754grains. You could call it your own Terminator slug that kicks like a mule.

What a neat trick, if a bullet does not fit in a wad then try just raising it with .125 nitro card and it does wonders ! !
    Don't be afraid to experiment, nothing wrong with it !
    First, Get a sizing die made and try it. The loads you can try are right here by dropping 2 grain of powder charge and then gradually coming up 1/2 grain at a time:

**--**Greetings again, Here's what James wrote about his 730 grain slug loads in another forum.

"Since I am in business to sell ammo to hunters...and want/need repeat business...I did drop the Express (1300'/? and Exterminator (1400'/") using the .730"-730 terminator bullet due to excessive recoil.
    The following loads in 12 ga 3" mag with the .730"-730 gr Terminator from a 20" Hastings rifled barrel:
    (1) 40 grs of Alliant Blue Dot @ 1200'/"
    (2) 42 grs of Alliant Blue Dot @ 1300'/"
    (3) 44 grs of Alliant Blue Dot @ 1400'/"
    These loads were put in a Cheddite 12 3' hull, X12X op wad, a fillier wads.
    These loads wou;d be very close to what would be in a 2 3/4" hulls by reducing the load by about 2 grs and working up.
    I can not load 2 3/4" loads as it would need a complete re-setup in the shop and that cost money/time for what I could see the loads for.
    There is am outfit in Colorado (I think) that turns out braas hulls the have the same wall thickness as plastic. This is the prpblem with Magtech....thin walls.
    AS for your custom barrel....I would not have the grooves at .727" and the lands at .717". This allows a .003 compression with .730" diameter slugs.
    Regards, James

Use only for reference at your own risk!
    Your safety comes first.

Here is my take: Go for it and try it and you never know it just might be what you are looking for.
    I cant wait to hear how it works out for you. Do keep us informed.
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 08-02-2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Add picture to make it more spicy

Banned

I copied it from Dixie forum. Carefull please.

Greetings again, Here's what James wrote about his 730 grain slug loads in another forum.

"Since I am in business to sell ammo to hunters...and want/need repeat business...I did drop the Express (1300'/? and Exterminator (1400'/") using the .730"-730 terminator bullet due to excessive recoil.
    The following loads in 12 ga 3" mag with the .730"-730 gr Terminator from a 20" Hastings rifled barrel:
    (1) 40 grs of Alliant Blue Dot @ 1200'/"
    (2) 42 grs of Alliant Blue Dot @ 1300'/"
    (3) 44 grs of Alliant Blue Dot @ 1400'/"
    These loads were put in a Cheddite 12 3' hull, X12X op wad, a fillier wads.
    These loads wou;d be very close to what would be in a 2 3/4" hulls by reducing the load by about 2 grs and working up.
    I can not load 2 3/4" loads as it would need a complete re-setup in the shop and that cost money/time for what I could see the loads for.
    There is am outfit in Colorado (I think) that turns out braas hulls the have the same wall thickness as plastic. This is the prpblem with Magtech....thin walls.
    AS for your custom barrel....I would not have the grooves at .727" and the lands at .717". This allows a .003 compression with .730" diameter slugs.
    Regards, James

Use only for reference at your own risk!
    Your safety comes first.
    Ajay
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

Boolit Master

Digging deep into the past ......

Ajay

Any chance you ever did any thing with these ??? Interested in the Lyman 685069.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.