RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: L.E. Wilson Case Trimmer Micrometer?

Boolit Mold

L.E. Wilson Case Trimmer Micrometer?

About to order a L.E. Wilson Case Trimmer not sure which model Micrometer head to choose the Sinclair or the L.E. Wilson Micrometer head? They both get good reviews but the Sinclair has some negative reviews which made me question it.

Boolit Master

I have the L.E. Wilson case trimmer without the micrometer. I bet that would be handy to add. However, it is the best trimmer I've used to date except for pistol brass. The brass holder doesn't grip pistol brass and it will spin. For rifle brass you can't beat it. As far as Sinclair, everything I've purchased from them has been spot on. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Boolit Master
    I have 4 Wilsons and 5 Forsters and have owned a few other brands.

I have a good set of calipers and I see little need for a micrometer adjustment.
    I know the Wilsons in theory are attractive trimmers but as a practical tool I find the Forsters much more practical.
    You will get tired of spending big bucks for Wilson case holders for little used cartridges.
    EDG

Boolit Mold
    I borrowed a Sinclair/Wilson trimmer to run some full length sized 260 Remington brass, it came with a 308 case holder but my brass slid in loose. It took a while to learn they have case holders for both new and fired cases. I spent an extra $20 for the (NEW vs Fired) case holder and shipping. The trimmer is a thing of beauty, was a pleasure to use and the micrometer made repeatable use very easy to set up. I can't speak for the non-micrometer unit but I was a fan of the Sinclair setup until I found its $200 by itself. While I would like to own one I would have to think seriously about moving to a Giraud Power Trimmer like I should have done in the first place. I own the Hornady Powered case prep center and while it works fine for AR related 223/308 I would never trust it for my 260 brass.

The Wilson Micrometer on mine doesn't get used. As mentioned calipers work just fine when needed. I keep a pre-trimmed case in each shell holder for setting the trim length.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Micrometer model.

It does speed up the initial setting a fair bit but once set i never need to touch it. It works so well and is so consistent that i never need to tweek the dial. Every case comes off the trimmer exactly the same from the 1st to the 100th.

I also had a Forster and i found it i could get some variance +/- 1 or 2 thou for each case. Not much i know, but it played havoc with my OCD

Boolit Grand Master

I've got the Sinclair and it works ok. Its not really necessary but it does make adjustments go faster. I usually save trimmed cases to use as an aid for set-up.
    Last edited by lightman; 08-04-2018 at 02:15 PM.

I have used the same Wilson trimmer since 1959. I did have the cutter sharpened a couple of years ago. IMHO a micrometer adjustment is a giant waste of money. I keep a case of the correct length and use it to set the trimmer. It is fast, accurate, repeatable and cheap.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.