WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Old rifle match records

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Old rifle match records

Hi all - A family member claimed they got #1 in rifle matches, quite a few years ago. I am not sure which match / matches and of the year, but if anyone knows where / how to search, I'm curious. They didn't always tell the truth, but they WERE a darn good shot, so it'd be interesting to check it out. Anyone have a lead for me? Thanks!

Boolit Master

I had a guy tell me he was a sniper in Korea and that he used a 7mm magnum.
    I just nodded, and let him keep on talking.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I had a guy tell me he was a sniper in Korea and that he used a 7mm magnum.
    I just nodded, and let him keep on talking.
    I think I've met that same guy!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I know a man who was a sniper in korea and I have seen photos of him and his rifle and scope , and it was the m1 garand . There are not many of the korean vets left.

Boolit Grand Master

Hickory was getting at that the war was over about 9 years before the 7mm Remington Mag was introduced. It's kind of like all the "Nam" vets that are in their late 50's maybe sixty years old, think it's just the wacky tabacky talking.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

WARNING NITPICKING FOLLOWS:

The Korean War has not officially ended, but North Korea and the US are negotiating an "Official End" after about 65 years (i.e. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8324976.html

Open fighting ended on 27 July 1953, when an armistice was signed. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_War). In fact; armed insurgents from North Korea have conducted operations in South Korea and waters adjacent to South Korea off and on from the Armistice until recent periods. Involved in multiple "Goat Ropes" associated with North Korean incursions during my Military Career, one that immediately comes to mid involved the Republic of Korea 1st and 3rd Armies trying to round up some North Korea Spec Ops attempting to make it back into North Korea - what an embarrassment that period was for Combined Forces.

An interesting question is that since at least 16 countries provided forces fighting in the Active Korean War period for the UN action (Ending in 1953), when will we see all "Combatant" countries sign off on an official end to the Korean War (Japan provided support and continues to do so; but was an occupied/rebuilding country during the Korean Active War); and when/if we will see the North Korean combine (North Korea, China and Russia {former Soviet Union}) sign off on an official end to the war.

No doubt in my mind the reference to a 7mmRem Mag Sniper is shall we say: misguided. Although if they had indicated a 300 WinMag and someone stationed with the US Army in Korea as a Sniper during recent times it would be more believable.

I am highly appreciative of the President and his Administration taking action for the return of US Service Member remains. The North Koreans have been using this as a political chip against the US for 65 years; it's about time it ceases to be a "Bargaining Chip", of course the South Koreans and US have been offering the return of North Korean and Chinese (and some Russian Advisor) remains off and on as they are discovered during the same time frame - sometimes the North Koreans accept the return of remains and sometimes they do not.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 08-02-2018 at 02:14 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    In answer to the OP's question, the early years of Rifle Magazine had a benchrest section and often listed winners of some of the bigger matches.

Banned
    If he shot at camp Perry the records there go way back and the original Long Island Gun Club has a good set of records too.

Boolit Master
    This makes me think of the days Square Shooters was in their hay day on State street in Bettendorf. At one time Davenport was the home of the largest Schuetzen Verein in the United States. Square shooters was a hang out for the old cast bullet shooters of the area. Paul Sass and his friends scoured estate sales, auctions, garage sales, tag sales and if a old house was being torn down they would inspect attics and basements before the demolition machinery hit them. They were looking for anything from the Davenport Verein. They found ribbons, tropheys, records, pictures, loving cups, and every now and then one of the rifles with casting & loading equipment. When I would stop Paul was eagar to show me their latest finds. Any one else on here that used to stop at Square Shooters when they were on State Street? Those were the days.

Boolit Master

With the info provided, I doubt there is any way you can find out. If you knew the rifle discipline, the date and where you may stand a chance. Most clubs do not retain records. Your best bet would be to find his fellow shooters and see if they have a match report.
    I recently get rei-nvolved with the NRA to earn the distinguished revoler badge. When I looked at my points fron previous matches the NRA had me with more points than I remembered. I contacted the NRA and they told me they had changed computer systems and only brought forward number of points. They could not tell me when or where the points were earned. The computer systems was changed out around 2005 .
    Also there are 12 matches and 5 classifications in an NRA 2700 pistol match. He may have won a match in his classificatiom so he could have won a "match" first place.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Sheesh you would need to know what discipline of "rifle matches" did he shoot in. If they were NRA matches, and you knew his membership number you could go to the NRA competitions web and look up his scores, if he shot in target matches.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    They've passed on and no data's available, sorta impossible at this point I suspect to find anything out.

Boolit Master
    I have the trophy for all the matches I claim I won.