Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 327 Federal mishap

Boolit Bub

327 Federal mishap

I finally got some brass in for my Single Seven in 327. Loaded up some of my 98 grain semi wadcutters that I cast from an RCBS mold. It turns out they are just a bit too long and stick out of the front of the cylinder. I have a Mountain Molds bullet with a wide flat nose that casts at about 105 grains that will work. Still, it does seem like an excuse to buy a new mold. Favorites?

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I had the same problem, Single 7, that's it.. They work fine in both my SP-101's and my Taurus 327. That and the off center indexing in the Single 7 detracts from a very good shooting gun.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    You could buy a $20 Lee factory crimp collet die and seat your boolits in a little deeper past the crimp groove.It's how I get 44 mag Lyman devastators to feed and cycle in my ruger 77/44. The Crimp is nice and more even than a roll crimp and shoots sub MOA for me at a 100 yards.

Boolit Grand Master
    So what was the mishap? A mishap is defined as "an unfortunate accident" and what you describe doesn't seem to fit that category at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you didn't have an explosion, or damage a gun (or yourself) as a result of something going wrong with one of your reloads, but your title was misleading. As somebody who likes to load for and shoot 327 Fed Mag, I'm always alert for anything that goes wrong to the point of an accident or even a potential accident.

BTW, you will want to avoid using the NOE 314008 bullet in 327 cases in your Ruger. They extend almost all the way to the front edge of the chamber in my S&W K-frame, which I believe is longer than your Ruger. I have shot them in my 8 shot Ruger Blackhawk 327, but that is a much bigger gun. I like those 125 grain (with my alloy) bullets, but they are a real problem with short cylinders.

Another strategy you might consider to use the bullets you have is to load them as hot 32 H&R rounds in that kind of cases. The shorter cases might give you enough reduction in COAL that the rounds will work, and you should be good to go. This was inspired by what Skeeter Skelton used to do with 38s and 357s. He would use the 357156 bullet in a 38 Special case, seated out to get the length and performance he wanted.

One of the great advantages of the 327 FM is the fact that you can use readily available cases that come in 4 different lengths to load and shoot in it. Talk about versatility and flexibility...what a cartridge!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the grammar lesson. I prefer the 95-105 grain bullets in the 32s. Headed to the range in a bit to see how these shoot.
    I shot a few cylinders full with 32 Mag cases and the fouling prevents 327 cases from fully seating afterwards. My goal is a small game load and target load. A cast bullet at about 850fps is plenty of wallop for a rabbit.

Boolit Master

Just buy a new gun with a longe cylinder to shoot those new reloads. There always another way to fix the problem.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Chance View Post
    Thanks for the grammar lesson. I prefer the 95-105 grain bullets in the 32s. Headed to the range in a bit to see how these shoot.
    I shot a few cylinders full with 32 Mag cases and the fouling prevents 327 cases from fully seating afterwards. My goal is a small game load and target load. A cast bullet at about 850fps is plenty of wallop for a rabbit.
    With those kinds of loads, you should be able to get fine performance without any crimp. I deep seat bullets, and crimp just enough to get rid of the flare. My light target loads are running 970 fps with a 120 grain SWC, and they shoot very well, no bullet pull. Just seat your SWC so the case mouth is about level with the front shoulder of the bullet. If that is still too long, you can seat a little deeper and crimp over the shoulder. I can't help with single seven loadings, but it seems a number of members like the Lee 90 grain SWC in the single seven.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks. I got a few rounds down range today and I will probably use the 105 grain bullets in the Seven. The Bisley seems to love both. I know they are both magnums, but I don't need a lot of horsepower for what I do with these revolvers. I also have a young nephew who might enjoy shooting them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry if I came across as the Grammar Nazi, Mr Slim Chance. Since the 327 is designed to encourage operation out on the hairy edge (with SAAMI pressures up to 40,000 PSI, IIRC) of what any mid-frame handgun could be asked to handle I am constantly on the lookout for any warnings of potential ways to blow up my gun.

I went back and tried to find the NOE number for my little 105 grain bullet (RNHP) that I got on a group buy, but it isn't listed (that I could find.) That bullet sounds like just what you are looking for to be both accurate for target work and then hard hitting enough for small game. Basically it is a copy of the old Lyman 313316 in hollow point configuration.

I saw a neat trick in another thread for dealing with your carbon ring problem (which, by the way, I've never experienced.) The writer suggested taking a fired case (in the longer length... he was using 357 Mag) and doing a little inside bevel to get a sharp edge, then giving it just a tiny bit of flare. While the fouling is still fresh, just push this modified case into each chamber once or twice and it cleans the ring right out. I plan to make one up and maybe even put a handle on it so I can keep it in my range bag and find it quickly.

Regards,
    Froggie

PS With whatever real or imagined problems it may or may not have, the versatility of the 327 and its shorter siblings make it the ideal cartridge for the reloader and enthusiast. If it had been invented about 1980 and marketed properly back then they would have sold about a bajillion of them!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    I have heard of that trick with the empty case. Luckily, I had only fired a few rounds of the shorter cartridges. I did wonder about pressures in full house loads for the 327. My goal is to load to the pressures of the 32 H&R. I have other handguns if I need more horsepower. While I don't need another 32 caliber mold, I do find myself looking at different designs. I'd love a semi wadcutter design like the Keith style bullets. Perhaps even a full wadcutter for my J frame Smith in 32 long.

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately, Elmer never designed a 32 caliber bullet. I don't use the shorter cases either. It's nice having the option for factory ammo, but I don't see any reason to reload anything but 327 brass, if all your 32 caliber guns are that chamber. If you deep seat a bullet for your single seven, it's about the same as seating to the crimp groove in a 32 H&R powder capacity wise. For what you want, you will be between 2.5-3 grains of 700x, that would make a good small game load.

Boolit Master

I have a Charter Arms Patriot 6 shooter with a 2.5" bbl in SS for my wife. I have a Ruger Blackhawk 8 shooter with a 5.5" tube and both revolvers are in 327 Fed Mag caliber. For a time I could not obtain 327 brass so I bought a couple hundred 32 H&R brass from Starline. I have some 50 gr Leigh solid copper boolits that should do well in the 32 H&R cases. However there is a dearth of loading information for that weight boolit. Anybody played with that light weight boolit yet? Any info would be appreciated.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Grand Master

Ghosthawk shoots buckshot in his, which is about the same weight. He never says specifically, but he noted 2 grains of Red dot. I would think you could use the 77 grain H&R mag or 327 federal data from Hodgdon.

Boolit Bub
    I have several revolvers in 32 H&R and just recently bought the Seven. I also have a S&W model 31 in 32 long with a four inch barrel. I appreciate the advice here.

The Buckshot actually shoots quite well. 00 buck run through a .314 size die, then a coat of BLL.
    This "stretches" them a little, I load mine to about the middle of the flat side wall and crimp. If I push them down into the case too far they can be hard to get a hold of in the cheap MTM ammo boxes I use.

To me the worry about improvised loads is when increasing pressure.
    Going lighter bullet weight should decrease pressure, down to a 40-50 gr bullet from a 90, should decrease it considerably.

I do doubt you will find much data for a bullet that light.

Some things I have done and got away with simply because no one ever told me I couldn't. Grin