MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: black powder round ball 45 colt loads

Boolit Bub

black powder round ball 45 colt loads

Any suggestions for making up black powder 45 colt loads with a round ball?

Be vewy carefull !!! These are very addictive. You will wake up arranging your schedule to allow time to go shoot em more.

My hint is thusely;

... prime the cases.
    ... flair the mouth.
    ... put enough 2Fg powder to be filled to the bottom of the flair.
    ... put the round ball on the powder and seat the ball to just below the hemisphere and crimp over the hemisphere to hold it in place.
    ... i dunk em in melted SPG to put a nice coating on the ball and case mouth.

Go shoot em fast ... they very well may go bad so ... quickly ... go burn em up.

Further hint, they are WAY WAY more fun shooting them through a Colt 1860 with the cartridge conversion cylinder. That is as fun as it gets ... i promise.

Less Black Powder and two Balls is also fun...

In Remembrance
    Ted, do you load ,451 or .454 round balls?
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Bub
    These are so much fun. Not much recoil and my grandson enjoys shooting them.

I use the .45 Schofield case, 23 gr Olyd Ensford fffg, a .45 dia 1/8 inch thick wool wad soaked in home made bullet lube and a .454 RB tumbled with BLL. I seat the ball just past the equator and crimp in the same operation pressing the ball and wad against the powder.

These chrono at an ave of 775 FPS and a ES of 25.

In the near future I am planning to use a little more powder (ff) and load .45 Colt Cases just to see if it might be a little more accurate.
    Last edited by G50-70; 08-02-2018 at 05:32 PM.

Boolit Bub
    i use 5grs of greendot and .454 roundballs and these are fun and accurate!

I load .454 balls. They are home cast lead balls so i load the sprue down against the powder.

These are very addictive and now thanks to this thread, i must load more and take time to enjoy them again.

Just weaned myself off them for awhile ... now i think i must dive back into the clutch's of these very fun and accurate ball rounds.

Thumbs up on lubed wad and .454 RB on top of BP. I like the Idea of using a tumble lube on your RB's.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Master
    Must these RB load be loaded to a lower MV for any accuracy? I was thinking at the high MV of a max charge the RB may skid on the rifling because the RB doesn’t have much bearing surface.
    I’m thinking an over powder card, then the lube soaked felt wad. Optionally add the tumble lube to the ball I don’t know how it would help lube, but I suspect it wouldn’t hurt accuracy.

Now that is where the fun comes into play. You must load em and load em again ... experimenting with ball size as well as powder charge, primer, on and on. This is as addictive as just loading n shootin.

I even tried some .458 and .460 round balls sized back to .454 through a cheap lee size die ... makes a short smooth boolit that has more grip area on the rifling. Spose ya could do the same with .490 lead 50 cal balls and wind up with an even longer rifling holding band.

Just only your imagination to come up with other combo's to try out.

Boolit Mold
    ****, now I have to buy more lead balls. Loaded some 3 ball (.457) over 40 gr of 3F for the 45-70 TD, BOOM and SMOKE plus 3 holes, lots of fun without killin' the shoulder. Now something else to give a go in the Regulator.

Boolit Master
    i load two .454 RB's in my 45 long colt case and at the range the guys look at the target and say how did you get two holes in the target with just one shot?? i say well i'll be!! it is rely a conservation starter!!.

Boolit Bub
    I started shooting round ball and then found these, El Paso Pete Ultra Gamer 45 Caliber 150 grain, and they work great and carry enough lube to keep shooting and grinning. They also work great in my 1858 remingtons

Boolit Master
    they look like a RB. on STEROIDS!! do you use a LYMAN SIZER LUBRICATOR to lube them?

Boolit Bub
    They are popular with the cowboy action shooters, I use them in 45 colt and 45 cowboy specials
    I do use a lyman sizer and it's messy, my black powder lube is homemade and right now it's a little to soft. Next time I need to add lube I need to remember to add some more bees wax to the mix.

Boolit Mold
    I wish you guys would stop these kind of discussions. I just started loading black powder cartridges for my Walkers n such. Now there’s talk of loading round ball. I’ll never get caught up.

Awesome topic! I am going to start loading for 45 colt and gonna have to try these out!

Boolit Mold
    Just the information I was needing.

I know this is a Colt thread....but I once slapped 5 .451 rounds wrapped in a bit of paper in a 45/120 with a grease cookie and 55 grains of FFg and a mag pistol primer. At 50 yards it left a pretty much 1.5" hole. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by okietwolf View Post
    I know this is a Colt thread....but I once slapped 5 .451 rounds wrapped in a bit of paper in a 45/120 with a grease cookie and 55 grains of FFg and a mag pistol primer. At 50 yards it left a pretty much 1.5" hole. Lol
    Thats flippin awsome