Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enfield chamber adapters

Boolit Buddy
    Several years ago, I bought some from Sportsman guide which were .303 adapted to 7.62x25. Had to file the adaptor rim so it would fit my worn 1921 Ishapore SMLE. I never even considered the danger of a stuck adaptor. But I quit using it because the pistol brass had to be pounded out of the adaptor after firing, to the point of destroying the wood block that came with it. The accuracy was terrible, about half the bullets hitting a 2x2 foot backer at 25yards. Not worth the effort.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by junkbug View Post
    Several years ago, I bought some from Sportsman guide which were .303 adapted to 7.62x25. Had to file the adaptor rim so it would fit my worn 1921 Ishapore SMLE. I never even considered the danger of a stuck adaptor. But I quit using it because the pistol brass had to be pounded out of the adaptor after firing, to the point of destroying the wood block that came with it. The accuracy was terrible, about half the bullets hitting a 2x2 foot backer at 25yards. Not worth the effort.
    Didn't the US navy decide to simply epoxy their chamber converters for m1 garands to use .308 into the garand chamber and say "good enough"?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    Didn't the US navy decide to simply epoxy their chamber converters for m1 garands to use .308 into the garand chamber and say "good enough"?
    First the adapters were just inserted into a 30'06 chamber and 308 was shot in the Garand until they found out that sometimes the adapter would extract with the empty cartridge casing.

Then they grooved the chamber and swaged the adapter into the chamber, then reamed the chamber to size, this locked the adapter into the chamber never to be removed again.

They work okay in a bolt action as you can examine each shell as they are ejected.

Then when done shooting 308, use a broken she'll extractor to remove the adapter.
    I aim to misbehave.

Mostly Harmless.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll second... third?... fourth? the 0.315" dimension. I have 5 Lee Enfields and all like 0.315" boolits. at least 3 have 0.314" groove diameter. Two I haven't slugged, one of which has a much tighter chamber than the others but it shoots the 0.315" boolits well so I have't bothered. One hasn't been shot yet (by me)... got to rectify that!

I have shot cast boolits of up to 0.318" in my No. 5 with 0.314" groove with no signs of high pressure so 0.004" over with ACWW.

Go big or go home! I'd make that chamber adapter with at least 0.315" throat if not 0.316" then size cast boolits to suit. However, it would also be a good idea to slug your bore and/or chamber to determine groove and more importantly throat diameter. Could be you got a really tight one.

Longbow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12