RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: 9mm 124 Grain TC HP?

Boolit Buddy

9mm 124 Grain TC HP?

Would anyone be interested in a hollow point clone of the Lee TL356-124-TC bullet? I measured the meplat on the boolits I have cast with that mold and came up with a .166 diameter meplat. I think this boolit would be a good candidate for use as a hollow point. Let me know what you think.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90238.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	224797

Boolit Mold
    I have the Lube groove 120 version and love it but always wanted a powder coat HP version without the lube groove. I am not a fan of the TL versions. I know MP is the standard here and would love one of his molds but I ran into a post on the NOE mold forums where they are in process of a group buy for a PC bullet clone like this, it will be HTC359-129-TC. Regardless I would be interested as I know time lengths for group buys can be long but MP, if that is who would pick this up, seems to be faster and produce amazing quality.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think it needs to be a tumble lube design. I would just like the size and shape to be the same or close to it.
    I think most of the offerings from MP are either lube groove or powder coat style molds. I don't know that I've ever seen a tumble lube style mold from him.

Boolit Mold
    Sorry, I was not clear in my post. I am not a fan of the "LEE" tumble lube bullets. I do like the overall design of the TC bullet, hence the reason I am looking for a HP Powdercoat style bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by allsy View Post
    Sorry, I was not clear in my post. I am not a fan of the "LEE" tumble lube bullets. I do like the overall design of the TC bullet, hence the reason I am looking for a HP Powdercoat style bullet.
    Understood. I also like the design of the TC bullet, and am hoping that MP makes a powdercoat style bullet mold.
    Anyone else interested in this style hollow point?

Al at NOE has a TC hollow point that should fit your needs.
    I think they are even in stock

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodAlloy View Post
    Al at NOE has a TC hollow point that should fit your needs.
    I think they are even in stock
    I'm looking for a smooth side TC hollow point. I don't see that on the NOE site.

Boolit Master
    I'd buy it! I shoot the regular lube groove version of that one powder coated...love it.

Pc'ing a hp version if that would give a touch more velocity and I'm sure would open up fairly well...I'd be interested for sure

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome John! I really hope we can get enough people on board with this to have MP molds make it for us.
    I have a two cavity version of the Lee bullet that I might try making a hollow point mold out of. If I do manage to make a HP mold I'd be willing to send some to people for them to test out.

Boolit Buddy
    I talked to the tooling guy at work. He said he can use the milling machine to drill out the mold to make it a hollow point mold. I need to run by the hardware store tomorrow before I go into work to buy a 4mm bit.
    Hopefully he doesn't screw up the mold and I actually get to cast some hollow points. I'll let everyone know for sure tomorrow night when I get home from work.

Boolit Buddy
    I attempted to cast up some of the hollow point bullets from the mold I had modified. I believe there is definitely potential for this style hollow point. Obviously as you can see I had trouble getting the nose to completely fill out. These were cast out of range scrap so I have no idea what the alloy is. I will try using 50/50 pure lead and wheel weights next time to see if I can get better fill out of the nose.

Name:	hollowpoint1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	225367

Name:	hollowpoint2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	225368

Boolit Buddy
    I would be in on the truncated cone design if it had normal lube grooves and Mihec's assortment of hollow point pins and weighed 124 gr. hollow pointed and probably 10 gr. heavier as a solid.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomR View Post
    I attempted to cast up some of the hollow point bullets from the mold I had modified. I believe there is definitely potential for this style hollow point. Obviously as you can see I had trouble getting the nose to completely fill out. These were cast out of range scrap so I have no idea what the alloy is. I will try using 50/50 pure lead and wheel weights next time to see if I can get better fill out of the nose.

Name:	hollowpoint1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	225367

Name:	hollowpoint2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	225368
    How did you do this yourself? I'm guessing you have a lathe or access to one?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    How did you do this yourself? I'm guessing you have a lathe or access to one?

I had the tooling guy at work do it on a mill/drill.
    I'd like to see either traditional lube grooves or smooth sides for powder coating, and no lighter than 124 grains.