Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEE fan forever.

In Remembrance

LEE fan forever.

The other day, for some reason probably attributable to ME, the decapping spindle in my #$%^#!! RCBS 7TC/U wildcat sizing die bent (again!!) whilst resizing .223 brass. Oh well, another spindle from another RCBS set should substitute? WRONG! Checking my RCBS die sets i found spindles of different lengths and diameters, none of which would fit the 7TC/U. RCBS makes and machines/threads, FIVE (different!) delicate parts to do the job LEE does with two sturdy ones. No small wonder there's such a price difference! Annyhoo, the appropriate (I HOPE!!!) spindle is in the mail from the local Canadian RCBS stocking dealer. I eMailed LEE asking them to please bring out a set of 7TC/U dies.............and while they were at it, to expand their line of 6-cav molds to include some obvious RIFLE caliber types as in their very satisfactory #90579, to replace my 2-cavs, LOL. If YOU think that's a good idea, send them YOUR eMail.

Update: Spindle from LGS (95 road miles one way) arrived today in the mail. It does work, although slightly different (and no stronger). CDN$24.00 del'd.
    Last edited by HABCAN; 08-02-2018 at 04:44 PM.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

In Remembrance

mods, please delete earliest duplicate.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master
    I have no real complaints about Lee's equipment some is better than others. However, Lee's customer service is not nearly as good as RCBS's and Lee's warranty is a joke. By the time you pay shipping BOTH ways and half retail you are better off just buying a new one.

Most maybe not all of the time, you can call RCBS when you have a problem and they will send you whatever you need FOC.

Motor

Lee equipment is so inexpensive to begin with that buying a new one is almost as good as a warranty replacement.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    I have no real complaints about Lee's equipment some is better than others. However, Lee's customer service is not nearly as good as RCBS's and Lee's warranty is a joke. By the time you pay shipping BOTH ways and half retail you are better off just buying a new one.

Most maybe not all of the time, you can call RCBS when you have a problem and they will send you whatever you need FOC.

Motor
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it is a joke, I've gotten replacements for free before. If it keeps costs down to not have to pay shipping for every $5 broken tool, thats OK by me. Last time I checked, you only have to pay shipping one way, and you get it repaired or replaced for free. This is only for warranty, which is 1 or 2 years, and only if you didn't break it. Not the best in the business, but seems reasonable to me. Outside of warranty, I've heard you can get certain items half off new, which seems great to me. Some of their stuff is a flop, their powder scale is one. It is accurate to a couple tenths, that's about all the good I can say about it. Much of it is actually better than products twice as expensive. I'd take a classic cast press over a rock chucker, I'd take Lee dies (any caliber) over RCBS any day. The Lee powder scoops are pure genius, and their powder measures are the most accurate I own.

What I like about Lee, is they produce no-nonsense, purely functional tools. They cut corners in just the right places. Their new bullet molds are a good example. They use simple punched steel sprue plate with a screw. 2 screws (one for the pivot, one for the stop) and set screws is better, but the Lee just plain works. Their alignment pins are simple, and better than their old method of pinching the side of the mold. I've got half a dozen of the new style, and all I did was wash the oil off and start making bullets. They work well, and for $25.

Boolit Grand Master

One opinion; a "good" warranty is just saying the manufacturer expects bad tools to reach the user's hands. I have been using Lee tools (among others) since my Lee Loader in '69 and have never had to use their warranty, no bad or broken tools that weren't my fault...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I find that every thing that I have with the Lee brand on it works. Some, extremely well (deprimer die(best I have ever used), bullet moulds, ect.) Most were serviceable (dies (some required a little finish work and deburing), presses, lead furnaces). And a few items leave a lot to be desired (powder measure (the one I own anyway), and IMHO those cruddy lock rings. I do not currently own a Lee press as I gave it and an extra set of dies to a friend that was just getting into the game. I can't even give the measure away (admittedly a low end model bought on sale) and I have a box full of lock rings that I changed out to other brands. I have never had an issue that required warranty. The last new set of dies I bought were Lee, in 300 H&H. Haven't used them yet but expect that when placed in service they will work.

Boolit Buddy

I don't like RCBS's decapping spindle either. It's just weak. I bent one last month sizing 45 colt. Replaced with a fancy spring loaded one from the LGS.
    I have my 1050 setup with Lee sizing dies in 40 S&W and 9 mm. Never had a problem with the simple design.

I broke a depriming pin on a 7.62x54r Lee die. Berdan case of course, learned that lesson.

Was browsing through the lee precision site looking for a reasonable way around it.

Came across the depriming die body and replacement pins at the unheard of price of 1.29$. Bought the die and 4 spares. Used one to fix my 7.62 die, one lives in a wood block with holes drilled in both ends for single brass that just needs a quick deprime for whatever reason. Other 2 sit in the drawer with the dies, waiting to be used.

I have been here since 2014, which is maybe 6 months after I got back into shooting.

Without lee parts, dies, presses, molds, pots I would not be shooting today. Just would not have happened.

Yeah you can call me a Lee Fan. I'll own that any day of the week.

Your dollar, you decide where you want to spend it.
    I'll spend mine where I can get the most bang for my buck. And IMO Lee does that.

Had the nut holding the decapping pin break off in the die, sent them a picture and they sent me a new die, no charge.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

I stayed away from LEE (old MEQUON?) Except for the decapping rod & base. I tried the hand primer when it came out. Lubed as instructed, wore out 2 of them.
    By that time RCBS had come out with their own hand priming tool, 30yrs & still going strong.
    My first experience with LEE molds was when my DAD bought 3 used 2cav .44cal molds at a Gun Show to help us get started in COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING. We each owned a COLT SAA in .44SPL & DAD had a Browning/Miroku '92 in .44MAG. And I had a cut down SAVAGE 311 12ga. We ordered RIGS from EL PASO SADDLERY.
    Casting with those 3 aluminium molds was a learning experience. They were old when I got them, but had not been mistreated. They are still casting good bullets today.
    Unfortunately DAD passed away shortly after that Gun Show weekend. Gun Show on Sat, range on Sun. For some reason he stuck his COLT SAA & OFFICIAL POLICE in my bag to clean. He passed the next weekend. Dead Sat morn, cremated Mon morn. His wife didn't even tell my Sister & I. We couldn't even get near the house. Just Bad JOSS.

But to make a long story short, if you handle LEE tools with care, AND PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH/TO YOUR TOOLS. You really won't have breakage.

I think cleaning brass & inspecting case BEFORE you shove them up into a die will prevent about 98% of die problems.
    I have a small lamp on my loading bench that I can move around on my bench and position so I can look down into a case between picking it up and shoving it into a die.
    I've learned that a LYMAN decapping pins will break BEFORE the decapping rod does.
    RCBS decapping rods will BEND before the decapping pin breaks.
    Discovered this with some range pickup brass made in the Philippines, most of the flash holes were off center.

I've since bought a number of LEE molds, both 2 & 6 cavity. Several pair of handles, sizing die kits. CRIMP dies & bulge busters. Even die sets for those odd little calibers, like .32 SWITH & WESSON short only & .38 SMITH & WESSON.
    LEE equipment has done well for me. But I have babied it too.

But RCBS, YOU SIMPLY CANNOT BEAT THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE. BEST THERE IS .
    HORNADY & REDDING are close behind.
    LYMAN is not what it was, that's for sure. But I think just maybe It's getting better. I bought a new set of the new style 4cav mold handles.
    The package said 4cav, but the handles were definitely 2cav. I called LYMAN & asked if I could send the wrong pair back for exchange. They said keep the 2cav, we'll send you a proper set of 4cav handles.
    FOR FREE.

I also discovered that LYMAN 4CAV BLOCKS are the same size as N.O.E. & ACCURATE 4-5CAV BLOCKS. Makes for a smoother casting rythem.

I think I got off track and wandered far away.
    Last edited by Walks; 08-12-2018 at 11:52 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

The Lee Anniversary Kit was my first introduction into the reloading world and I still use it some 25 years later. No problem and no breakage yet.

Boolit Mold
    I am so new to all of this I don't even know what I don't know. However, I do know that if it weren't for Lee's deal on a turret press I would have never started to reload. The prices seem too good to believe, but the press works. And most importantly, I am now hooked on all things reloading. Thank you Mr Lee
    Christian, Father, Husband

Boolit Master
    You might revisit this subject in 10 or 20 years. Many reloaders get into the activity the cheapest way possible. Committing to investing money in reloading gear means you do without something else like ready made ammo for a while. So the commitment is often very difficult and the cheap route is the most attractive path. After 5 to 15 years you will find the newbie has sold or discarded the cheap stuff for more proven equipment. I did exactly that too. Long before Lee made any tools but the whack a moles I got a Bair kit. Eventually I got rid of all of it except the excellent 3 poise beam type powder scale.

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 Yuman View Post
    I am so new to all of this I don't even know what I don't know. Howeve
    I do know that if it weren't for Lee's deal on a turret press I would have never started to reload. The prices seem too good to believe, but the press works. And most importantly, I am now hooked on all things reloading. Thank you Mr Lee
    EDG

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have used lee equipment for over 40 years still using the classic press if it ain't broke don't fix it . I actually prefer the lee scale it just works better for me. If you lap the powder measure it might do better. The lee bullet sizers not a fan like the rcbs. Never had to use lee customer service but nobody beats rcbs on customer service.

Boolit Grand Master

From reading this thread and several others, it seems like Lee's CS is hit or mis. I'm not a Lee fan but I'm not a hater either. They have a niche in the market and they have their loyal customers just like every other manufacture.

On another note, I was visiting with a friend last week and he showed me a new Lee die set that he had just bought. It was a 577-450 Snyder and due to the case size was the next larger size diameter over the standard 7/8 in dies. They were beautifully machined and had a knurl turned on them where the other Lee dies I have seen were plain.
    Last edited by lightman; 02-26-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

I am a Lee fanboy.
    I could mention the many items in their lineup, that I like and the features that make them more desirable than other brands, but I will instead mention what is rarely mentioned...their Custom service is quite incredible.
    I had a custom Neck sizer die for a wildcat caliber made for $60...I don't know how they can do a one of a kind for that price?
    Also had them make a one of a kind rifle FCD for the same wildcat caliber for $25...How can they do that?

I should add that I've bought Lee neck sizer dies and Lee rifle FCD off the shelf, and once in a while they need a bit of polishing for them to function smoothly. The wildcat custom dies I ordered came finished better than any off the shelf die I bought from them...So whoever is working in that department, knows their stuff.

edit: I should add that this purchase was in 2013...I hope nothing has changed in that department since then?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    The other day, for some reason probably attributable to ME, the decapping spindle in my #$%^#!! RCBS 7TC/U wildcat sizing die bent (again!!) whilst resizing .223 brass. Oh well, another spindle from another RCBS set should substitute? WRONG! Checking my RCBS die sets i found spindles of different lengths and diameters, none of which would fit the 7TC/U. RCBS makes and machines/threads, FIVE (different!) delicate parts to do the job LEE does with two sturdy ones. No small wonder there's such a price difference! Annyhoo, the appropriate (I HOPE!!!) spindle is in the mail from the local Canadian RCBS stocking dealer. I eMailed LEE asking them to please bring out a set of 7TC/U dies.............and while they were at it, to expand their line of 6-cav molds to include some obvious RIFLE caliber types as in their very satisfactory #90579, to replace my 2-cavs, LOL. If YOU think that's a good idea, send them YOUR eMail.

Update: Spindle from LGS (95 road miles one way) arrived today in the mail. It does work, although slightly different (and no stronger). CDN$24.00 del'd.
    to anyone making the call/sending an email, as suggested, please include the suggestion to make 410-195-SWC bullet design in a six cavity mold
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

LEE fan forever.

If you think RCBS’s or Dillon’s warranty is free you’d be mistaken. It’s built into the cost of the products and one of the reasons they cost me. I’ve found RCBS’s customer service to be inconsistent as they’ve charged me for parts twice when they should have been free. I don’t have an issue paying for them. But don’t give them to me for free one time and not the next.

Lee has minimal warranty cost built into their products which keeps costs down. I’ve had to use their warranty twice. Once was because a berdan primer killed a decapping pin. A quick call w/ a courteous lady and five more were on their way to me. Second time was when I had the collet for the decapping pin on a set of 358 Win dies shear off. Went through their online warranty process and a new die was being shipped to me the same day. Unfortunately this is the only time I’ve had a Lee die not work for me. But I was using it for case conversions which isn’t what its designed for. A Redding sizer fixed my problems.

I know people have had bad experiences w/ Lee’s customer service. They’ve been documented on this forum. We all have different experiences and I can’t blame someone for not using Lee after a bad one. It’s why RCBS is down on my list of companies to buy from.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 02-26-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

JonB and Dragon, those are all good points and pretty much shows how our opinions are swayed by our experiences with CS. I don't know if my friends 577-450 die set was custom or if they just put extra care into those larger die sets but I was impressed by the workmanship.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast