Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LEE fan forever.

Banned

heres my take on it. If you break one in your 7mm mag lee dies your only choice is to either grab one out of another 7mm set of dies or buy a new one. I don't care for rcbs changing spindle sizes either but break one and give them a call and youll have a replacement in 3 or 4 days for free and they will do that even if your die set was made in the 60s. As for lees unbreakable claim. Ive managed to break a few. Load progressively and it WILL happen. Add to that that most times its the pin that breaks not the spindle. Rcbs will even send you a pack of replacement pins for free and 5 minutes later your back to work (but I will say why do they need to have two different sized pins) . Break a lee pin and the whole spindle is trash. I will admit that even lee has sent me stuff for free. but it seems like its pot luck depending on who picks up the phone that day. All that said I have nothing against lee dies. I use a lot of them. Its one of the products they make that is actually a good quality piece at a good price. Not even anything plastic on them.

Boolit Master

Here my 2 cents,
    I have a different viewpoint as I have been selling reloading stuff for over twenty five years from three different stores. We sell/sold all major brands. Hands down MOST returned line was LEE. It was also a top seller, because of price point. Returned Lee products outnumbered ALL other makers 5to1. Personally I have had lee outright fail me three times. Meaning no reason for breakage. Then I have had the products break with use more than others. I have seen more upset customers after saving money buying Lee. When they come back and buy another manufactures product. (They probably should have bought first)

I fully and completely understand that things happen, stuff breaks from everyone. Its when a pattern develops concerning breakage and defaults, when you should take notice. I am no Lee fan boy, but I am no hypocrite either. Lee has a number of needed useful and ingenious products I like use and will continue to purchase. Thy make other things they make, I wouldn't wish on anyone.

What makes a good company to me is one that makes a good product. Offers it at a fair and marketable cost. A company that stands by that product and stands up for there customers.

I have been involved with every single manufacturer that we sold products from. 98% of them are awesome beyond compare. Lyman is so-so better for the consumer, but seems not to like to deal with dealers. Same for Dillon, but Dillon is awesome for the consumer and they are set up to serve the consumer. RCBS and Redding are companies others should be measured against. Simply 100% there for you before after and during use of there products. Lee is different. Yea they do offer parts but its on your dime to return part and wait. SOMETIMES as reflected above employees will send out parts on a phone call or email complaint. while other times its red tape nonsense. Just Monday I contacted them via email with pics of a broken part two weeks old used once. I was "rewarded" with "You have two ways to get replacement parts: Fill out form, return part on your dime and we will se if the "all mighty grants you replacement"... Choose the part off the website, put in your basket and during check out it will come up with NO CHARGE but you are still responsible for shipping to yourself... That's NOT standing behind your product in my book.

I will still buy some Lee products, but for me its buyer beware. There is a old saying that goes something like "The sweetness of a good deal sours when the reality of poor quality is revealed" This sizes up Lee pretty well for me..

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I am the kind that starts cheap until it bites me, then upgrade. I have not outgrown lee products. To the claim that loading on a progressive induces more problems, I would say that’s a small portion of a niche market( reloading). I cannot say lee is the best product, but they are the best value in my mind.

Banned
    I was amazed by the Lee Breech Lock Reloader Press, cheap, simple, bottom of their lineup.
    I removed the wood ball from the handle and put a 3-foot cheater bar on it putting a good deal of weight on the bar.

NOTHING BENT OR BROKE !!!!!!

I have one mounted upside down in my "sizing machine". I bought a heavier press to "upgrade the machine" but tens of thousands of boolits later it still works like when I built it.

Boolit Master
    I have some LEE stuff. I am neither a Lee fanboy nor a Lee disbeliever.
    Some of their stuff is cheapy feeling, some is great. I dont think any of it is plain junk. But all of it is economy priced.
    If your shopping on economy, Lee is the way to go,
    If you want top of the line stuff, then get Hornady or Dillon or RCBS.

Banned

you couldn't have said it better. Cant argue with a single point.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Here my 2 cents,
    I have a different viewpoint as I have been selling reloading stuff for over twenty five years from three different stores. We sell/sold all major brands. Hands down MOST returned line was LEE. It was also a top seller, because of price point. Returned Lee products outnumbered ALL other makers 5to1. Personally I have had lee outright fail me three times. Meaning no reason for breakage. Then I have had the products break with use more than others. I have seen more upset customers after saving money buying Lee. When they come back and buy another manufactures product. (They probably should have bought first)

I fully and completely understand that things happen, stuff breaks from everyone. Its when a pattern develops concerning breakage and defaults, when you should take notice. I am no Lee fan boy, but I am no hypocrite either. Lee has a number of needed useful and ingenious products I like use and will continue to purchase. Thy make other things they make, I wouldn't wish on anyone.

What makes a good company to me is one that makes a good product. Offers it at a fair and marketable cost. A company that stands by that product and stands up for there customers.

I have been involved with every single manufacturer that we sold products from. 98% of them are awesome beyond compare. Lyman is so-so better for the consumer, but seems not to like to deal with dealers. Same for Dillon, but Dillon is awesome for the consumer and they are set up to serve the consumer. RCBS and Redding are companies others should be measured against. Simply 100% there for you before after and during use of there products. Lee is different. Yea they do offer parts but its on your dime to return part and wait. SOMETIMES as reflected above employees will send out parts on a phone call or email complaint. while other times its red tape nonsense. Just Monday I contacted them via email with pics of a broken part two weeks old used once. I was "rewarded" with "You have two ways to get replacement parts: Fill out form, return part on your dime and we will se if the "all mighty grants you replacement"... Choose the part off the website, put in your basket and during check out it will come up with NO CHARGE but you are still responsible for shipping to yourself... That's NOT standing behind your product in my book.

I will still buy some Lee products, but for me its buyer beware. There is a old saying that goes something like "The sweetness of a good deal sours when the reality of poor quality is revealed" This sizes up Lee pretty well for me..

CW

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Here my 2 cents,

CW
    There are exceptions. Even Redding has faults. Here are two examples:

1. I bought a Redding 7X57 die set with a separate neck die. After prepping new brass (resize, trim, chamfer, prime & powder) the bullet fell through the neck into the powder. The neck die did nothing to improve the problem. I called Redding & was told that their die set is designed for military brass which is thicker (how about 2 types...one for military brass & one for commercial...& how about a heads-up to the prospective buyer). I sent it back @ my expense.....& this is where the plot thickens.

When returned the die performed exactly like the original (wouldn't hold the bullet) & I strongly suspect that they sent the same die back to me (I wish I had marked it). I call Redding.....no apology. Returned to Redding again (@ my expense). When returned this time it worked properly.

2. After I bought my 1st. Dillon I ordered a Redding .38 Spec./.357 "Pro ST" die set (designed for progressive use). In use the seating die would remove the case bell. I called Redding & they didn't seem to understand the problem. I sent it back @ my expense & when returned it was slightly better, but allowed lead shaving. Back to Redding again @ my expense & received a phone call. They seemed reluctant to remove more metal, but did so with a note "altered to customer request". It's OK now. BTW the crimp die is nothing great: in fact, it resides in the die box and a 40 year old Lyman die does the crimping. I'd trade the entire set today for a set of Dillon dies.

I have other Redding products that are great.

Henry

Boolit Master
    People who tend to bend or break mechanical things benefit greatly from buying devices with lifetime warranties. Careful workers that don't simply apply more power to solve difficulties can save a lot of money buying tools with a more reasonable warranty policy.

Few loading tools ever break. Most that do will break during the first year or so. Some people could destroy an anvil with a spoon. I see a wide difference between tools that break and tools that get broken. I don't break much and expect to pay for my own mistakes. Buying tools based on a supposed unlimited warranty immediately gives me the poor joy of paying for the mistakes and carelessness of others no matter what I do. ???

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    People who tend to bend or break mechanical things benefit greatly from buying devices with lifetime warranties. Careful workers that don't simply apply more power to solve difficulties can save a lot of money buying tools with a more reasonable warranty policy.

Few loading tools ever break. Most that do will break during the first year or so. Some people could destroy an anvil with a spoon. I see a wide difference between tools that break and tools that get broken. I don't break much and expect to pay for my own mistakes. Buying tools based on a supposed unlimited warranty immediately gives me the poor joy of paying for the mistakes and carelessness of others no matter what I do. ???
    You're right there. You could put some people in the middle of a plowed field with an anvil and a hammer and come back an hour later and find both of them broken.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    I'd have saved a lot of cash if I'd started with Lee stuff ,I've moved to Lee over the years as it works and works well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12