Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: choke tube threading advice

choke tube threading advice

Does anybody know a gunsmith that will thread for Win chokes for a good price? I've considered doing it myself but, I would have to rent or buy the reamer and tap. Thanks.
    Last edited by roverboy; 08-01-2018 at 10:22 PM.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

If its the barrel, buy a cheap choke and re thread by hand. If it is the choke itself it is cheaper to by the new choke. Threads on the barrel or choke tube are so fine they don't take to re cutting very well in my experience.
    T

Boolit Bub
    I don't know your definition of a decent price, but expect to get what you pay for. A guy who reams by hand with the barrel in a bench vise can charge less than the smith who sets up the reamer in a lathe collet and feeds the barrel using a mandrel in the chamber and centered on the live center in the tailstock. Did you want the choke tube to be in line with and concentric with the line of the bore? If so, you might want to stick with the guy who has that lathe.

Bill Jacobs

In Remembrance

Definitely pick someone that knows what they are doing and listen to them if they think the barrel is too thin.
    I had a shift foreman bring me a threading/reamer combo tool and ask me to tread a Model 12 barrel for him that I said I don't want to because the barrel wall thickness is too thin.
    He was convinced that it wasn't and had it done to another barrel years ago so against my better judgement and a promise that I wouldn't be held accountable, I did it for him. All chucked up and trued in the lathe I started the tool in and the reamer part was going swell and about a quarter inch into the theading portion the barrel started unraveling like a slinky, the threads were cutting right thru the barrel. I thought he was going to cry about ruining an early Model 12 barrel and I told him if he felt that way about the barrel he shouldn't have messing with it to begin with.

Boolit Grand Master

Tools necessary to do the job right... Barrel wall thickness gauge, Inside mike, Reamer, tap with multiple pilots, Lathe or jig for bench reaming. On top of this each manufacturers choke tubes take different reamers and taps. I think that after an investment of over $1000 a hundred bucks for the job is not out of line with the extra choke tube at $20.00 each. That said I don't do win choke as I couldn't afford the extra reamers and taps.

A good job starts with measuring as all barrels are not uniform and thickness is important. Remington barrels are often out of round and this means they can't be done at all.

Thanks for the replies so far. I edited the post. It was supposed to be reamer and tap. I've got a bunch of chokes. Made most of them.

Banned
    The best course of action I found was getting a barrel new or used all ready threaded saved myself a lot of headache on the old A5 browning and still have my original barrel.

Well the old barrel has the last 3 inches or so cut off. Mud in barrel by my Grandpa. Long story. Its either find another barrel or get this one reamed and tapped.

Boolit Master
    what about a cutts or poly choke should be period correct also and not look outta place
    then you have all the chokes a twist away from you not home in the box

Boolit Master
    Call Williams gunsight co, they do it for $100, professional job every time, just called them yesterday about similar situation!

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

79 Salem Street • Amherst, MA 01002 • (413) 256-1630 • fax (413) 253-5665
    michael.orlen@verizon.net

Mike Orlen Shotgun smith extraordinaire