Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Captain Kennedy's Tea House scones ...

Cool Captain Kennedy's Tea House scones ...

This a quick and easy scone recipe that I like to make. There was a little Tea House out in Selkirk, Manitoba where my wife is from and they made the best scones, sandwiches, and light lunches for years. Unfortunately they closed down, but before they did I talked the baker / cook out of her scone recipe. Try them ... you'll like 'em ...

Manitoba Tea House Scones
    (the original Captain Kennedy’s Tea House recipe)

2 cups of white flour

1/2 cup of margarine or shortening

1/2 cup of sugar

2/3 cup of milk

1 egg

1 Tablespoon of Baking Powder

1/2 cup of currants or raisins

Mix dry ingredients, add the margarine using a pastry blender, then add stirred wet ingredients. Will make a very sticky, wet dough. Knead as little as possible, and then pat out dough into a large circle about 3/4 inch thick. Cut with biscuit cutter into rounds and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.

Last edited by Reverend Al; 07-31-2018 at 03:53 PM.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

Looks tasty! I have a similar recipe that I use dried cranberries. Mine doesn't have egg tho. If you don't

mind me asking, how much did they cost. A friend of my wife
    wants me to make her some. She says she will pay me but I don't know what to charge.

Hey TBird, Look at it this way, should you not be able to find out how much to charge this lady, then try another method. A freely offered gift will sometimes come back to you in a much better way than monetary value alone. My good Mexican friends usually are saying to me "What goes around----Comes around. An example. A woodcarver friend of mine had a bandsaw broken down. I went over to his house and fixed it----twice almost two years ago. . He was willing to pay me. I said no charge. They got flooded out, lost almost everything they had and move into a Senior living apartment. Three weeks ago he sent me a tote bag full of expensive wood carving knives, gouges, and a special folder with six different curved blades. Yesterday he went to ER with possible stroke.
    Have to go see him today.

My old hunting partner used to say the same thing ... "what goes around comes around". I've never charged anyone for any of my baking. (I enjoy baking and often give the results to our friends and next door neighbours.) I'm sure that if you total up the ingredient costs for an entire batch of these scones it wouldn't cost you more than a couple of dollars, and I at this point in my life a couple of dollars definitely isn't going to break the bank! I'd go ahead and make a test batch and give them to your wife's friend ... I suspect that they will do something nice for you in return.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

I agree with both of you about "what goes around comes around" but I have a side business baking and selling cheese straws. Started it when I retired. All of her friends know this. She is buying cheese straws and wanted scones too.

Guess you'll just have to do a bit of math and figure out what you are paying for your ingredients (flour, baking powder, eggs, milk, margarine or butter, currants, etc.) and then determine your total costs per batch.