Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of chronograph should I consider

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    competition electronics digital pro chrony here.only use it to record FPS....don't need anything fancy. mine is at least 10 yo ,no complains,it just work .
    I have a RCBS - like the cable to the display at the bench and I shoot Blackpowder and muzzle loaders so the 20 foot cable is ideal - only want FPS and shot to shot - do not want to be messing with bluetooth and phones EVER ! Write the numbers down in a book as they appear - s i m p l e !

Boolit Master

I use the Caldwell. I have no problems reading the screen. If you are tech savy it will import into you phone by shot group so you export it to excel later for your desktop then you can run all the data analisys you want.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I bought the Magnetospeed Sporter recently and I'm pretty satisfied with it. As stated above it is only for rifles. My main complaint with it is that having the "bayonet" strapped to the barrel changes the point of impact but I knew that before I ordered it. I like not having to set up sky screens especially now that I've moved and shoot at a gun club or state range.
    Chuck

Banned
    i own a caldwell. i think its around $70-80. it does what i want.

Boolit Master
    Anyone have the new Pro Chrono DLX with built in Bluetooth and phone apps?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I used a $99 Shootin' Chrony™ for a long while. It was fine. It continued to be fine after I shot it too. Just had to do a little repair. I gave it to a friend that had none when I switched.

Eventually, I upgraded to an Öhler 35P which works fine too, just a PITA to set up and not inexpensive. I had to replace the printer which never worked very well. Öhler wanted $50 + shipping (to them) to replace the printer. I declined and replaced it myself for $8. It's the Cadillac of 1950s technology.

I've heard rave reviews about the Magnetospeed, very compact, easy to use, good data, but it affects point of impact given you're changing the barrel harmonics with it hanging out there. It does not have to be mounted at the 6-O'Clock position so mag tubes should not be much of an issue if you can rotate it 90˚. I'm sure I can find a way to make it work with a pistol, but I don't think I care that much about pistol velocities. Blessedly, lighting conditions do not affect it at all.

What limited info I've heard about the lab radar is that its "beam" or "field of view" is very narrow and that you have to toggle between different calibers. So if you shoot a .22 then a .243 or .45 it will only function with the proper diameter calibration which sounds like an utter PITA to me; one caliber at a time. Full disclosure is that I have not read the manual and I have no personal experience with the Lab Radar. The technology itself does appeal to me though, which should work in almost all conditions. Rain, shine, dark, light, etc.

If I had to do it all over again though I think I'd go with the Magnetospeed. It's small enough I can fit it in a rifle case adjacent the gun, and I can set it up during a hot range session from behind the firing line. Seems almost idiot-proof which some people think is a feature I require.

Banned

old thread, but fwiw i think the labradar is the way to go IF it's used a LOT and/or you've got $500+ discretionary cash to spend.

if not, a pro-chrony-dlx and a remote computer device (smartphone, pad, laptop, etc) gets the job done ... at least for me. ymmv.

Boolit Buddy

I have 2 different Ohler's and the Magneto V-3,
    Both work very well, but the Mag V-3 gets most of the workout,
    the Ohler's require a longer set up time to use.

I have used it from my pellet AG/BB guns thru the 12 ga etc,
    I have had to make some different shims, to fit all the weapons I shoot,
    it works in all weather conditions, day or night, quick and easy to set up and use,
    doesn't hold the line up for set up etc.

I have compared it against/with my Ohler's and get reading within 3-5 fps of each chrono,
    when set up at the same time.
    I don't worry about the possible POI change, and shoot for accuracy after obtaining the fps first etc.

Tia,
    Don

I have both the CED Millennium and the LabRadar. Both have worked very well for me. the advantage of the LabRadar is no sky screens and other than the hassle of the screens I have no complaints about the CED machine. Both great chronographs. Gp

Banned
    What kind of chronograph should I consider ?

Bulletproof

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    I finally bought a Labradar to replace my ancient Oehler 33 ... I absolutely love it. Quick and simple setup and I sure appreciate that there are no screens out in front of the muzzle. I often didn't take the Oehler to the range since it was a pain to set up and align the skyscreens, especially if other people at the range were waiting for me to finish so they could shoot. Now I'll take the Labradar with me every time I go shooting.
    My experience also. Tbe 33 was a great chronograph, but the Labradar is fantastic. I gave my Oehler to a friend that didn't have a chronograph. No regrets.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I am also looking to get one so i would like to thank everyone to.

Have the old chrony but tried the magnetospeed today. Works fine even with cast - didn't change any settings. Don't need to carry the tripod & stuff anymore or use the scope to see the readout. The spacers don't fit over the levergun tube & band - they should change them.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

Popper
    You can rotate the bayonet to the side or just slightly offset to the iron sights,
    I have made several different spacers to fit all my weapons, with muzzle brakes etc

Banned

LabRadar
    Probably a repeat post,
    But still the same answer
    No brainer
    Get what you want
    That is the answer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    What limited info I've heard about the lab radar is that its "beam" or "field of view" is very narrow and that you have to toggle between different calibers. So if you shoot a .22 then a .243 or .45 it will only function with the proper diameter calibration which sounds like an utter PITA to me; one caliber at a time. Full disclosure is that I have not read the manual and I have no personal experience with the Lab Radar. The technology itself does appeal to me though, which should work in almost all conditions. Rain, shine, dark, light, etc.
    The Labradar does require one to toggle between the different velocity ranges to get a correct readout, however it only involves pushing a button to set the range. As far as the "narrow beam", I haven't had any issues after gluing a 1/4" tube into the "aiming notch" they provide to align it. The only fault I find with it is when the sun is shining directly on the screen, the readout is difficult to see as are all that I have used. However if one shades it or utilizes the bluetooth with a phone, that isn't an issue. It's not cheep, but my Oehler 33 wasn't either when I bought it new many years ago.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Master

I went with the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph and I love it. It is cheap enough to replace if it get shot and it seems to be accurate. But, cannot be used indoors with fluorescent lights. I like that it has multiple strings and remembers when powered down.

Banned

Boolit Master
    Well, even though this was an older topic, now, since it has come up.

I have been using the Caldwell premium kit, that comes with some great additional features, & I got it on sale a while beck for just over 100 frogskins. I don't use all of the stuff it came with but the carrying bag is nice & so is the phone hookup & being able to transfer to the computer feature are excellent.

I have even posted up some of those readings here on CB.GL forum in a few topics. The ability to do that is a good feature, IMO.

I would guess that the chrony alone is worth having & if you are worried about shooting it, then you are not out as much as the more expensive ones to fix or replace & it still does what most folks need for a chrony.

Besides, some of us don't have as much $$ as others but still want to be able to do things regarding chronographs.

Some drive the heap o the week, & some drive lamborghinis. with many in between. The Caldwell is,IMO, like driving a mid range cost car & the options that is comes with installed, for the values it has, at the price of a low cost car with just std. options.

Easy to read, easy to set up & take down & when I first got the thing &had a question about the light set I called them & the guy on the phone was helpful as can be & got me on track right away.

Lastly, in the Caldwell pluses regarding cost... Most folks do not use a chrony every time they are out. I use mine only in the warmer months as a to keep it from possible harm from condensation from going out in the cold & then keeping it in the warm house. Others might not have that worry, but basically all I am saying is it is a tool to use, and if you do not need to use the tool all the time you can likely get by well enough with this tool, and not a more expensive one.

I just did not see the need for spending anymore than necessary at the time & still do not.

Suit yourselves though. I do know that if I happen to shoot my chrony sometime, I will replace it with another Caldwell, unless I win the lottery, or my limited income rises dramatically, since it does the job I wish it to do very well.

G"luck on whatever you decide to get, to whoever reads this topic!

P.S. - Conditor22 , now ya have to add another "X" to the CBForums Caldwell rating. LOL
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I bought 1 that cost $80.00 because I didn’t want to shoot another one that cost $200.00
    Have you ever wanted to see how fast a 11/8 barreled mini revolver 22mag shoots , not one of my better days.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast