Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & SonsStainLess Steel Media
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 4840 USD (81%)
We have reached our goal! Thanks to all who donated! I will be updating the donation bar in the next few days!
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of chronograph should I consider

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    competition electronics digital pro chrony here.only use it to record FPS....don't need anything fancy. mine is at least 10 yo ,no complains,it just work .
    I have a RCBS - like the cable to the display at the bench and I shoot Blackpowder and muzzle loaders so the 20 foot cable is ideal - only want FPS and shot to shot - do not want to be messing with bluetooth and phones EVER ! Write the numbers down in a book as they appear - s i m p l e !

Boolit Master
    I use the Caldwell. I have no problems reading the screen. If you are tech savy it will import into you phone by shot group so you export it to excel later for your desktop then you can run all the data analisys you want.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I bought the Magnetospeed Sporter recently and I'm pretty satisfied with it. As stated above it is only for rifles. My main complaint with it is that having the "bayonet" strapped to the barrel changes the point of impact but I knew that before I ordered it. I like not having to set up sky screens especially now that I've moved and shoot at a gun club or state range.
    Chuck

i own a caldwell. i think its around $70-80. it does what i want.
    What are you doin' down here
    We don't like your kind boy, do I make myself clear
    Better take your earing back where you belong
    We don't like your kind, so you'd better move on
    We just don't mingle with the folks from the town
    You laugh at us rednecks and you put us all down
    You said you're from college, but you don't seem too Bright
    Cause you just brought a switchblade to a pistol Fight

"Move On" - Chris Knight

Boolit Master
    Anyone have the new Pro Chrono DLX with built in Bluetooth and phone apps?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I used a $99 Shootin' Chrony™ for a long while. It was fine. It continued to be fine after I shot it too. Just had to do a little repair. I gave it to a friend that had none when I switched.

Eventually, I upgraded to an Öhler 35P which works fine too, just a PITA to set up and not inexpensive. I had to replace the printer which never worked very well. Öhler wanted $50 + shipping (to them) to replace the printer. I declined and replaced it myself for $8. It's the Cadillac of 1950s technology.

I've heard rave reviews about the Magnetospeed, very compact, easy to use, good data, but it affects point of impact given you're changing the barrel harmonics with it hanging out there. It does not have to be mounted at the 6-O'Clock position so mag tubes should not be much of an issue if you can rotate it 90˚. I'm sure I can find a way to make it work with a pistol, but I don't think I care that much about pistol velocities. Blessedly, lighting conditions do not affect it at all.

What limited info I've heard about the lab radar is that its "beam" or "field of view" is very narrow and that you have to toggle between different calibers. So if you shoot a .22 then a .243 or .45 it will only function with the proper diameter calibration which sounds like an utter PITA to me; one caliber at a time. Full disclosure is that I have not read the manual and I have no personal experience with the Lab Radar. The technology itself does appeal to me though, which should work in almost all conditions. Rain, shine, dark, light, etc.

If I had to do it all over again though I think I'd go with the Magnetospeed. It's small enough I can fit it in a rifle case adjacent the gun, and I can set it up during a hot range session from behind the firing line. Seems almost idiot-proof which some people think is a feature I require.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12