Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersPBcastcoRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of chronograph should I consider

Boolit Buddy

What kind of chronograph should I consider

I have an old Delta Chrony chronograph that quit the other day without any noticeable reason. It was always rather picky about light conditions but I managed to work "with" it. Not any more.
    When I checked into repair options, and there didn't seem to be any, plus the fact that there were a lot of complaints about the repair service, or the lack thereof. If I am faced with buying a new one, I would like some advice of the folks that have one and which would be the best buy for the least money, whether I should dig a hole and place this one in it. You folks have helped me a whole bunch in the past, and I certainly appreciate it. Thanks again

This is Catch again, 83, Korean vet, half deaf, but loading and shooting on,

It seems the more intelligence you have, the greater capacity you have to be stupid (at least is does in my case)...............

Banned

Lab Radar
    Budget I would go with ProChrono Pal

Boolit Master
    I bought a Labradar last year and love it. They're not cheap but they work well (you do have to read the manual).
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Lab Radar
    I have a Pro Chrono also and when I did kill it ,they replace it for half the price. Also they do repair them also.So as long you own it they will repair or replace it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I have been using the Pro Chrono and really like it, if it misses part of a string, clean the windows with a q-tip. Have not shot it yet, my buddy did kill one of the arms but a dowel rod fixed it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have had shooting chrony, pact professional, and lab radar. Have frieinds who have magneto speed, and ohler 33p. Here is my thoughts and experiences with them.

Chrony, Small light and set up is tricky. Display on front can be hard to read at 10 ft from muzzle.
    Pact professional, A good unit, does a lot it has a full ballistics computer in it and will compute sight adjustments for different ranges. uses sky screens again in front of muzzle. Base unit is beside you on the bench.
    Lab Radar, A good unit sits beside you on the bench nothing in front of muzzle, gives velocities at 5 different distances for each shot, computes extreme spread and SD. Easy and quick to set up ( a after market sight like smokes here is a big plus). This unit also allows for a memory chip to store data and a rechargeable power pac to be used instead of batteries.
    Magneto speed is a good unit attaches to barrel of firearm and is hard to shoot. A compact unit. its good but black powder with wads, heavy lube, and smoke may affect it. Globe front sights and tube mags affect how it mounts up
    Ohlers 33 p this is a good unit uses sky screens and uses 3 to give a check or proof reading of correct velocity reading. A good dependable unit. Again screens in front of the muzzle.
    Just after acquiring my lab radar we put the magneto speed on a rifle set up the friends ohler and my lab radar and shot over thru all 3 at the same time. Each shot was read by all 3 units. they were all with in a few feet per second of each other.

In my experience the lab radar is the easiest to set up and use followed by the magneto speed then the sky screen models.

If you are on a strict budget this is the best deal: Brand New Caldwell Chronograph $65 shipped. Pay with PayPal for added guarantee.

(ebay links not permitted- DELETED)
    Last edited by pertnear; 03-24-2019 at 01:28 PM. Reason: ebay links not permitted
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

I finally bought a Labradar to replace my ancient Oehler 33 ... I absolutely love it. Quick and simple setup and I sure appreciate that there are no screens out in front of the muzzle. I often didn't take the Oehler to the range since it was a pain to set up and align the skyscreens, especially if other people at the range were waiting for me to finish so they could shoot. Now I'll take the Labradar with me every time I go shooting.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Mold
    I will second the Caldwell unit for a budget shooter, I picked up a Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit from Sportsmans Guide since it comes with LED bars for low light included. The unit has worked great with my iPhone and the cable that plugs into a headphone jack, it doesn't have bluetooth. I would also recommend Caldwell because I have tested the warranty/customer support in the past and found them to be decent to work with, perhaps a little slow but friendly and easy to deal with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by allsy View Post
    I will second the Caldwell unit for a budget shooter, I picked up a Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit from Sportsmans Guide since it comes with LED bars for low light included. The unit has worked great with my iPhone and the cable that plugs into a headphone jack, it doesn't have bluetooth. I would also recommend Caldwell because I have tested the warranty/customer support in the past and found them to be decent to work with, perhaps a little slow but friendly and easy to deal with.
    Same here, although mine is not hooked up to a smart phone or anything. I have had mine since Christmas of last year, and no problems at all. Seems like it was @ $70 or so from Amazon.

Boolit Buddy
    I also have a Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit and it works for my needs.

Boolit Grand Master

Another fan of Lab Radar.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a pro chrono with the Bluetooth attachment (which is integrated in the new version) which is great because you can use a tablet or phone as a remote display and it records shot strings which you can name and record load data and calculates power factor, high,low,average,Sd,&Es. I have record of all my load data and results saved in the app since I started using it.

Boolit Master
    Plus 1 on the Caldwell. I've had mine for several years and use it a lot. At one point the screen started dropping 1's (screen said 200 fps when it really was 1200 fps. I called the Caldwell people and they couldn't explain why-- so they sent me an entire new circuit board-- no charge, no arguments, and no shipping cost. It still works great.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Lab Radar
    +1
    I have a CED unit that is good but the Lab Radar is the hot ticket.
    T

Banned

I have a pact and used to have a chrony. Not really impressed with either. Buddy has an ohler that just works. But for quick testing hes got a rcbs bullet shaped chrony. It works surprisingly well for a cheap unit. Id say much better then the chrony I had and at least as good as my pact if not better. I think midway was selling them for around a 100 bucks.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a LabRadar and a Magnetospeed and they are both great. I like them both for different reasons.

If you only shoot rifles, the Magnetospeed sporter is a great affordable option.

If you shoot both handguns and longarms, the LabRadar works great but is not cheap.

The LabRadar has the added ability of tracking the velocity down range and this info can be used to accurately calculate the BC of any bullet.

I have tested them side by side on the same shots and they are consistently only 3-4fps apart in their MV reading.

Boolit Master
    Oehler 35P

I own (2) Never had an issue (except for vermin chewing through all 3 skyscreen cables one night I left it set up).

Oehlers' customer service is exemplary in my opinion.

Big shooting window, if you shoot this one, you'd better reevaluate your skills.
    Bob

Boolit Master
    If a chronograph will be seldom used and cost is a big factor, a cheap one will probably be fine. If you're going to chronograph a lot, a Oehler 35P or Labradar are much better units. The Oehler takes a little more time to set up but is just as good an instrument as the Labradar. The Labradar has a very poorly written manual.

competition electronics digital pro chrony here.only use it to record FPS....don't need anything fancy. mine is at least 10 yo ,no complains,it just work .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast