Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP DA revolvers

45 ACP DA revolvers

Hello Folks,

As a neophyte bullseye shooter and lover of revolvers, I've been following Green Frogs thread on his Model 16 homage. Another revolver I'd like to know more about is the various S&W guns chambered in 45 ACP. So, I'm looking for advice. What models were available with six inch (or greater) barrels? What years of production should be avoided?

Thanks, Tom

Boolit Master
    All of the revolvers chambered to work with the .45 ACP cartridge worked fine for me. I used to have a nice S&W Model 25-2 for quite a few years. I regret selling it too. Anyway it worked great and was amazingly accurate with the 6 inch barrel.

The only revolver that might be questionable is the old Webley .455 revolvers that were shaved so that they could fire .45 ACP cartridges. Now those would work OK, but you wanted to avoid anything that fired faster than the .455 cartridges did. Many years ago they imported hundreds if not thousands of the .455 revolvers and a sizeable number were converted to shoot .45 ACP as the .455 British cartridges were hard to get. If you had one in good working condition and stuck to slow speed target loads, it would be fine though.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The earlier .45 ACP Hand Ejector and M1917 were 5-1/2" barrels. Rifling was shallow and throats typically .455"

Attachment 224846

Postwar Model 1950 and 1955 targets with adjustable sights were 6", highly collectible, but cylinder throats run large .455 but accurate with bullets which "fit."

.45 Hand Ejector Model of 1950 Military was fixed sight version, S serial number prefix with postwar hammer block and short action. Rare gun.

Attachment 224847Attachment 224849

Model 25 from 1980s was another good gun, but some cylinder throats ran VERY large .457+/-

Model 625 Model of 1989 was made in both 4" and 6" barrels, correct .453 cylinder throats, but do not have the stop surface at the front of the chambers and MUST use full-moon clips with .45 ACP or you will get misfires. Last of the S&Ws with conventional vs. EDM rifling. This is the one you want.

Attachment 224848

Can't speak to later production as I don't like the EDM barrels or Hillary Hole.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 08-02-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I've got a 25-2 from the late 1970s or early eighties that has cylinder throats about .453", which is perfect in my opinion. So you should measure the prospective purchases, if possible, because they aren't all bad or all good just because they were made at a certain date.
    Rule 303

Boolit Grand Master

I shot and sometimes even won many a match with my 25-2. A friend just couldn't live without it and I foolishly sold it to him. Now I sport a 329PD Air Lite with 2.75" Bbl. Not nearly as accurate but it's still a .45!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

My 1989 has the stop in the chambers and shoots lead very well.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    The 6" barrel requirement is really going to limit a search. The S&W model 25 and all the variations of it mentioned in Outpost75's post are going to be the most popular and common options.

I would be interested in five inch barreled guns as well.

The 625 was sold as a 5" gun as well. I had one for IPSC and foolishly sold it.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Super Moderator

Yep my 625 is a 5" bbl (Model of 1989), I'd never part with it. I used mine for IPSC as well. Solid performer.

Boolit Master
    I've 2 625s both are 5 inch and are quite accurate with 45 acp and 45 auto rim.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

My 1968 25-2 came from the factory with a 6 1/2" Barrel. It was sometime after that they changed to 6".
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Grand Master

Outpost75 is right on point.
    However, I have a 625-8 JM Special with a 4" barrel. It requires clips when using .45 ACP cases. It also handles .45 Auto Rim cases perfectly. It has near perfect throats for my .452" home cast bullets. It shoots under 1" at 25 yards off a rest. My most used bullet is a Mihec correct copy of the H&G #68 flat base (really a #69) at target velocities. It also shoots that 200 gr. SWC extremely well at 1000 fps. My chosen "speed" bullet is the Lee 230 gr. TC conventional lubed bullet. It loads slick as grease with full moon clips. When using the .45 ACP cases for recreational use, I use RIMZ full moon clips. I use the Model 25 clips (they are semi-rigid and retain the cases better than the flexible RIMZ clips). They can be loaded EASILY with just the fingers. If you need a quick reload for "business" use, then steel full moon clips are the answer with a properly designed bullet. The steel clips require tools to use, trust me on this...

I mostly use Starline Auto Rim cases for recreational use when I don't need a speed load.

My 625-8 came with JM wooden grips which I changed to my favored Pachmayrs immediately. This is just a personal preference.

I also had a 625-6 Model of 1989. This one allowed me to use the .45 ACP cases without clips. Apparently, some of the 1989's were cut with a cylinder stop and some were not. However, it wouldn't be an issue with me one way or the other. I never try to use my .45 ACP's without clips. This revolver is also one of my all time favorites. My youngest son expressed an interest in this revolver and I gifted it to him, along with a supply of ammo, clips, etc.
    It has a 5" barrel and is about all one can ask for.

Here are some suggestions of use of the Smith .45 ACP revolvers;
    I personally prefer the Model of 1989 625-6 or 625-8's as all that I have personally examined had proper throat dimensions. They are stainless steel, and I have shoot mine a LOT. For several years I would run 5000-7500 rounds a year just through my 625's. I have also used mine in the field. Loaded appropriately they will also work very well on hogs and deer at reasonable ranges (Lyman 454424 - mine is the NOE version) 250 gr. SWC at 900+ fps.

Model 25 RIMZ full moon clips work very well for recreational use. I recommend Ranch Products steel full moon clips for "business" use. These DO require tools to load and unload without damaging your hands or bending the clips. Trust me on this...

Starline .45 Auto Rim cases are a great choice for general use. I get many, many reloads with these as well as the .45 ACP cases.

I have not tried small primers in the .45 ACP case as I had a stash of THOUSANDS of military .45 ACP cases from my IPSC days. They reportedly work well with an adjustment of the powder charge to match velocities of the large primer cases. The small primers can be a pain in the tuckus when using a progressive press set up for large primers, so STAY ALERT when using range pickups or buying once fired brass.

FWIW
    Dale53

I had a 1917 S&W that someone cut the barrel to 4" and soldered the sight back on. It was accurate enough to get a brace of squirrels one day with the Lee 228 rn wqww. I just plucked the empties out with my fingernails.
    I don't remember where it went but I kinda miss it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have had a number of DA 45 ACP revolvers over the years. Today, I only have a Colt 1917, two Smith and Wesson Brazilian Navy revolvers, a 4" chopped Smith and Wesson 25-2 and up too a week ago I had a Smith and Wesson 625. I gave the 625 to a friend who has been hounding me to buy it for years. I like them all, but the 625 was by far the pick of the litter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1955 Target Model  small.jpg   Smith and Wesson 625 (640x344).jpg   Colt 1917.jpg small (640x317).jpg   013.jpg   Brazilian 2.jpg  

Last edited by Char-Gar; 08-03-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Char-Gar;
    Knowing how much you like the .45 ACP revolvers, you sir, have my deepest sympathy! I would NOT want to be without my 625 (625-8 JM Special). However, I do understand, as I recently gifted my youngest son my treasured 5" Model of 1989 (625-6).

FWIW
    Dale53

I have a couple 25-2s and a Colt NS 455, not shaved has a 45acp cylinder. Both my 25-2s have
    61/2" barrels. I don't like to full with moons so I load 45AR brass for all mine.I shoot onl cast in
    all them, mostly 242g WCs at 800 FPS. I bought a nice tooled EL Paso Sad lined and carved holster
    That's when I found out a 61/2" won't fit a good 6" holster. The 25-2s are fine shooters, I've had
    several over the years and not got a lemon yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Char-Gar;
    Knowing how much you like the .45 ACP revolvers, you sir, have my deepest sympathy! I would NOT want to be without my 625 (625-8 JM Special). However, I do understand, as I recently gifted my youngest son my treasured 5" Model of 1989 (625-6).

FWIW
    Dale53
    Yes, as much as I like guns, they are but objects. Friends and family are much more important in the scheme of things.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Yes, as much as I like guns, they are but objects. Friends and family are much more important in the scheme of things.
    Amen...well put.

TakeCare

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

As a Bullseye gun, the old 6" 25-2 is going to be your baby.

The 625's will serve, but the tendency to shorter tubes shows the trend toward the run-n-gun games based on holster deployment.

I too consider the Hillary Hole a deal breaker on moral & aesthetic grounds, but it does not affect them as a shooter.

Invest heavily in Auto Rim brass so as not to endure the PITA that is the moon clip.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast