Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple bare necessities to handload 7mm mauser rifle boolits

Hi, Lord Woodsball, I did a fast read through of the thread to date, and you got tons of good advice and ideas. But, did anyone say, "Welcome to the forum?" What a great adventure you are about to embark on -- reloading ammo! It's a continuous learning experience, even at the limited level you are proposing. Lots of old timers here that have years and years of experience. You're going to find it to be an addictive hobby, and probably won't operate at your proposed level very long. I started with Lee Loaders in 1966, and after acquiring at least 10 of them I was offered a used Lyman Spartan bench press. That led to a pair of RCBS Rock Chucker presses, then a Lee Turret press. But I'd always heard about "tong tools" and became interested enough to acquire a whole tool box full of Lyman 310 handles and dies over a few years of collecting. I also used and own a Lee Hand press, but I'd be inclined to recommend them more for pistol reloading rather than rifle. If I was starting over again I think I'd begin with Lee's basic reloading kit where you get the simplest (cheapest) bench mounted press. It works, and comes with several accessories that are nice to have and which you'll probably buy anyway. You can mount the press on a thick piece of plywood. Counter sink the bolt heads into the bottom of the board so the bottom remains flush and flat and run the bolts upward through the appropriately drilled holes so that the washers and nuts are on top. Then you can mount and dismount the press as needed to a table or counter with a pair of "C" clamps. Be sure to mount the press close enough to the edge of the plywood to allow for operation of the handle and linkage. When your reloading session is over, just un-clamp the plywood from the surface and store it away in your milk carton as a unit. Great hobby, and you're in for a lot of enjoyment and learning.

Boolit Mold
    If my participation here helps my spirit be increased even a fraction of a percent more the welcoming and gentlemanly nature you folk have, let alone my mind gaining a fraction of a percent of y'all's gun knowledge, either of these being in fact heroic proportions, this community is an immense service to me.

Boolit Master
    Thinking about the knowledge I have gained in my 55 years of hand loading I would suggest you forget hand loading and just purchase the ammunition you wish to shoot. Until your ammunition requirements go into the hundreds of rounds a year I would revisit the subject at that time. Purchasing and maintaining reloading equipment and components for just a few boxes of ammo a year is not worth the expense, time, trouble and possible hazards.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Thinking about the knowledge I have gained in my 55 years of hand loading I would suggest you forget hand loading and just purchase the ammunition you wish to shoot. Until your ammunition requirements go into the hundreds of rounds a year I would revisit the subject at that time. Purchasing and maintaining reloading equipment and components for just a few boxes of ammo a year is not worth the expense, time, trouble and possible hazards.
    Allow me to provide an alternative. Reloading itself is a rewarding hobby, but it is an introduction to even more fun. Shooting and reloading go together well, because first reloading allows me to shoot more inexpensively and, at least in revolvers and pistols casting my own boolits makes that almost free. This encourages more shooting, and more shooting then leads to more guns. I now have several that I have to make brass for and could not shoot if I did not reload. It keeps those old guns shooting as well.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Point taken and I absolutely agree that shooting & hand loading are rewarding hobbies, but if you do not shoot & reload several hundred rounds a year then do you really have a hobby? Is anyone that is only going to shoot a few boxes of cartridges, maybe, going to have the dedication and take the time to acquire the necessary knowledge of a potentially dangerous hobby ?

My point is is not to dissuade the shooters from joining the ranks of hand loading it is just to point out there is a commitment of money, time and dedication. For some it is well worth it, but for most they are better off just buying the few boxes they may shoot.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I seldom shoot now, but I still handload. I do it in place of therapy. When I do shoot, I may shoot several hundred, or a thousand rounds, all at once, though. So, even though, it doesn't happen often, when it does, it counts.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    My point exactly, and you sir have made the commitment of money, time and dedication to the hobby, so the rewards continue even if now at a slower pace.

Boolit Master
    Good point Dragonheart, I started slow, didn’t have any money. Had been hunting for many years and only bought 2-3 boxes a year in 30-30. Read about reloading thru guns and ammo magazine. Purchased a small Lee Reloader, the kind you use a hammer with. Would go out on weekend and shoot 2 boxes, return home and reload. Did that for about a year, it was slow. Then at about 25 iIbought my RCBS jr. single stage press and acquired a 308 rifle. For the next 35 years or so used that and was content till I saw a friend using an old Dillon 650 he tried to wear out, now he’s 80 YO, . Wife purchased one for me for Birthday I think at 65th. Loaded .223 for a while then 9MM been pumping out those now for about 1 year. Now cast 9 - >223 and 303 more fun than I have money. But your right it takes time money and dedication for this hobby. To some it comes fast and others it’s a life time. Now I have more boolits, lead,powder,primers,brass, than I’ll shoot in my life. Start slow learn as you go, it will be a fun hobby. Agree if all your going to shoot is a few boxes a year, it may not be worth reloading, but if you even think you may get into it as a hobby, save that brass, you will need it. You will not save any money reloading but as GRMPS says you will shoot more for the money you spend.

Since someone already mentioned my tool I will chime in and second the notion. It is true that it costs 4X what a Lee Hand Press does however it will stand up by itself which something the Lee can't do. This is kind of a big deal and it can also be clamped to a table and used that way like in my videos on Youtube. This eliminates the need for a third hand to seat bullets and do other reloading tasks. It will do anything that any Single Stage Reloading press will do.

It will also last a lifetime or more.

It allows one to get into Reloading with a tool they will never need to upgrade and yet everything you could ever need to reload any brass cartridge will fit into a medium sized tool bag, and the tool even comes with a case to protect it as well.

The tool was designed by me, a Machinist/Toolmaker, to be the finest example of a Portable Reloading Tool ever made. I am approaching the 150th sold mark, and have never heard any negative feedback from anyone who has used one.

If you are really interested in Reloading as a new Hobby I would highly recommend one of my tools.

However I am Biased, but I still promote the "Buy the best, only cry once" mantra that my Father told me along time ago.

They are available thru my Website below.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Nothing wrong with simple, While i have a bench mounted press, its a single stage, and I have a lube sizer, I also pan lube and tumble lube. Tumble lube is the simplest.

My suggestion would be, gear wise
    Lyman reloading manual (48 or 49, or 50 although I havent read that one)
    Lee hand press
    Used RCBS dies.
    Lyman M die if you are going to load cast
    Lee Ram prime unit (can be purchased with the press if you buy them both new)
    Lee dipper set
    powder funnel
    Lee case trimmer or lyman hand trimmer
    RCBS dial calipers (you dont absolutely have to have calipers to start)
    Loading block or tray out of a pistol ammo box that will fit your case head
    pound of powder and a couple hundred primers

Instead of getting into casting, id suggest getting someone here to cast you some 7mm bullets and finish them for you for a while, for a reasonable fee of course.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12