Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple bare necessities to handload 7mm mauser rifle boolits

Boolit Mold

Simple bare necessities to handload 7mm mauser rifle boolits

Hello everyone
    I'm very new
    In fact I haven't even shot any of my real-steel guns yet

I have an 1858 Pietta Buffalo black powder revolver and I recently purchased a 1895 Chilean Mauser

For the Mauser which takes 7mm bullets I'd like to find out:
    WHAT ARE THE SIMPLE BARE ESSENTIALS I WOULD NEED TO HANDLOAD 7MM BULLETS

I don't want a room full of handloading equipment to irritate the wife in our cramped home, just small and simple work-bench mounted stuff
    I want the stuff I'd need to be able to fit in a couple of plastic milk crates, my ideal storage and carry-able solution for these sorts of things

Thank you so much for your time and listening to my newbish question
    To all good folk I wish you and your family continued Health, Happiness, and Safety

Looking forward to pew-pew'ing out in the woods outside city limits with these

Boolit Master

A Lee Loader in 7mm mauser would be the simplest way to go. A set of calibers and a scale(one of the older types that sell pretty reasonable or one of the newer electronic ones). And a plastic or wooden small mallet for the Lee Loader. That is about as simple as it gets. james

Boolit Master
    if you intend to shoot jacketed bullets,there is virtually no saving in reloading,just buy PPU loaded ammo....Otherwise,you will need a pack of 100 projectiles,Ilb bottle of suitable powder,100 primers,and the Lee Loader,and somewhere to load......and for starters you need cases ,so you are going to buy at least 20 rounds of factory ammo ,anyway.

Boolit Buddy
    Reloading is a hobby all on itself, and a very rewarding one. If you want to do it you will not save any money anytime soon. If you are ok with that jump right in.

Cheapest way a used single stage press with priming, dies, funnel, and a scale will do it plus the consumables. From there it will get a bit crazy.

If you're cheap,then you need patience..... and there ain't a whole lot wrong with either?

Start keeping your eyeballs peeled for a used pkg deal.Older RCBS is as good as any,find a deal on a press and a scale,and maybe something else.At this same time you'd look for used dies.As posted above,you'll need cases so start buying a box of factory,shoot them up.With diligence, I'd say you're looking at inside 6 months and less than 200$(Not counting factory ammo),You should be in the game. Can't help you on the wifey thing,mine fully supports handloading because it's a relaxing passion.And am still using equipment that's been here for 40+ years.

Boolit Grand Master

When I graduated from the Lee Loaders I got an RCBS Jr3 press (new then), a 505 scale, a RCBS powder measure, and assorted small tools - Lee length trimmers, etc. I got an old salesman's box - think oversized briefcase - and some foam and cut the foam to have two levels in the box. I could get the press, scale, measure, and four boxes of dies in that case and my reloading stuff lived there for years while the kids were small. I had a piece of wood and two wood clamps, I would put an old towel on the dining room table, place press on that, the piece of board under the table and C-clamp the sandwich together. No scarring of the table, top or bottom. Whenever I needed to load some rounds I would get out the box, mount the press and measure on the shaft that fits under the die to mount the powder measure (RCBS provides those), set up the scale, and load away. When done it all got put back in the box until next time. This was for apartment living and our first house.

Powder, primers, and bullets were stored separately. My issue was having the room to dedicate to reloading. When we bought this house it has a 'breakfast nook' which is a narrow shelf just wide enough for plates on the family room side of the kitchen peninsula. Since we never used it for it's intended purpose it became my reloading bench, with the press mounted semi permanently as above on that nook.

When our oldest son moved out I told my wife "I didn't lose a son, I gained a reloading room". She did not argue.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I've had a Lee Hand Press for years. I still use it sometimes when I want to load test ammo at the range. It is not nearly as user friendly as a bench-mounted press, but it is far superior to the Lee Loader (hammer tool, illustrated in second link). Also note that the Lee Loader is not available in 7mm Mauser.

Lee Hand Press
    https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html

Lee Loader
    https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-30-30-win.html

Another vote for the Lee Hand Press. Mine is 5 years old and going strong, has loaded many thousands of rounds. Everything from pistol to large rifle.

Scale/dippers for measuring powder.

They are really neat tools, aren't they?

Boolit Master
    The 7X57 was once made by Lee in the hand tool. They are available on the market used. I have one that I paid $5.00 for and it has never been used.
    A more expensive version is available as 2 different dies made by L E Wilson but you have to supply the priming tool and dipper etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    I've had a Lee Hand Press for years. I still use it sometimes when I want to load test ammo at the range. It is not nearly as user friendly as a bench-mounted press, but it is far superior to the Lee Loader (hammer tool, illustrated in second link). Also note that the Lee Loader is not available in 7mm Mauser.

Lee Hand Press
    https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html

Lee Loader
    https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-30-30-win.html
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Like others said, the Lee Loader would be the simplest, but you would have to first find one. You could use a Lyman 310 tong tool as well, but again, you would first have to find one. Both Lee and Lyman offer or offered hand presses. I always thought the Lyman had a bit more leverage.

You need a scale, calipers, manuals(they can be older, data is easily found online, the manuals have instructions and safety rules), bullets, primers, cases, powder, and assembly equipment. Google "The Load Ed Harris", use it, and you can shoot without breaking the back. Look around at auctions and you can often find powder, equipment, and other components. People have given me stuff just because they know I load. I have given stuff to newbies too.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jimkim; 07-31-2018 at 01:35 PM.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don1357 View Post
    Reloading is a hobby all on itself, and a very rewarding one. If you want to do it you will not save any money anytime soon. If you are ok with that jump right in.

Cheapest way a used single stage press with priming, dies, funnel, and a scale will do it plus the consumables. From there it will get a bit crazy.
    I agree 100%. I started reloading with a Lee Loader also in 7mm Mauser about 52 years ago when I was in high school. But I was not happy with it, and due to it, with reloading in general. About 20 years later I got a fairly complete RCBS set up - single stage, etc., and I have been reloading ever since. Just my opinion.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    A Lee Loader in 7mm mauser would be the simplest way to go. A set of calibers and a scale(one of the older types that sell pretty reasonable or one of the newer electronic ones). And a plastic or wooden small mallet for the Lee Loader. That is about as simple as it gets. james
    There was a miss-spelled word in the quoted response, that should have been a set of calipers. I mention this only to be sure the reader correctly understands what is being recommended. A good caliper can reliably measure to within .001 inch and can be use to check bullet diameters, overall length, and case dimensions but a micrometer that measures to a tenth of a thousandth (.0001") is also needed for some measurements as you get into more advanced reloading.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I completely forgot about the Huntington and Buchanan.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

That Buchanan tool is a work of art.

If you want a loading bench they don’t have to be large. Over the years I’ve had two that were small. One was 2’x4’ with a shelf at eye level and made of lumber. The other used a roll-around toolbox bottom unit without the wheels. I cut a piece of 3/4 ply that fit the top snugly and bolted it in place. The drawers stored all of the small parts and supplies. It does require a toolbox that has ball bearing glides. The plain glides don’t hold up for very long. Learned that the hard way.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

If your budget is limited ( aka dirt poor) Lee makes a little hand press. Not near as nice as the Buchanan , which is Cadillac (Lexus) Nice, but it does work along with a set of dies and shell holder.
    No bench required, it's one of Lee's really good ideas. It will full length size and no banging with a mallet . L
    Basic "classic" Lee Loaders , the mallet operated one, only neck size and full length sizing will need to be done at some point in time.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 08-01-2018 at 07:05 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

The Buchanon press is very nice, much nicer than the Lee Hand Press that I recommended. It also costs four times as much, but it's very interesting nonetheless. He has a series of video demonstrations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvRkshKPW9M&t=10s

Boolit Grand Master

Post your location - odds are there is a member relatively close. Most of us would love to help a newbie.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

The first thing I would tell you to buy is at least one good loading manual, Lyman has a good one, it's kind of a generic book. Covers several brands of bullets. Hornady and Serria are both good books but list only thier own bullets.
    Read through the front of the book and get a good idea of how to load.
    As for tooling, I might suggest shopping Ebay for Lyman 310 tools. These are a tong tool, kinda like a heavy duty nut cracker.
    The dies thread in and out one side of the handle.
    Seeing as you have just one rifle, these work well as they only neck size.
    While shopping around look for a powder scale. I like the Lyman I have. They make a 500 grain and a 1000 grain version. Most any are plenty accurate for loading.
    As mentioned you will need brass. Factory loads are the easy way. PPU make good brass, very reloadable.
    You can get away with out the Dial calipers for awhile by using a factory load as a way to seat up the sizing die. Tread the seating die part way into handles. Back the seating stem back the seating screw out a 1/4 inch or so.
    Put a loaded round into the tool, Close handle. Turn the die in till the crimp area of the die touches the loaded round. Back out one turn. You don't really need to crimp.
    Lock the die in place. Now screw the seating stem in till it just touches the bullet tip. Lock in place.
    You can even use this procedure n a bench mounted press.
    Now as you load cartridges you will seat bullets to about the same length as a factory round. These will function through your rifle. Stick with staring loads at first, then work up to a mid load at most till you get a better understanding of how things work
    These few things will get you started on the cheap.
    Once you get the feel for loading you can then add things like a set of dial calipers, very handy to measure case length and coal.
    A powder measure sure speeds things up. A bench mounted press is handy for full length resizing.
    For case trimming the Lee case length gauge and cutter set up works very well. It's not adjustable so it won't trim the too short cases.
    Basically the skies the limit on what you can buy.
    A couple of 1 1/2 pipe floor flanges, a 2 to 3 foot length of 1 1/2 pipe, some 3/4 plywood for a base and a work surface for a small press. East store, just unscrew the top and base off the pipe and if you cut the plywood to just fit into your milk crates, just set the parts in the crate.
    Mount the press On a piece of plywood and then you can use C-clamps and mount it anywhere to use Such as the kitchen counter. Dining room table. Office desk, then store away.
    Tons of ways to do things on a small scale that are easy to store away.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Grafs has pretty good prices on brass. I have a few different calibers of brass from them. Lee makes an inexpensive press that costs about $40 dollars. If you outgrow it, it can still be used for decapping brass before cleaning. Post the size dies you need here in the swapping and selling section or in helping hands if you need some help getting started. You WILL need scales and a set of calipers as has already been mentioned, but the MOST important tool you need is a good reloading manual. Read it thoroughly more than once before you put the first piece of brass in a die to size. Don't deviate from the starting loads by going to the max . The 1895 Mauser is a low pressure rifle. You should NOT go above starting loads for that rifle. I load for a Spanish 1893 which is also the low pressure deal. Those two rifles were designed to run at 40,000 psi whereas the '98 was meant to run at 50,000 psi. The Spanish '93 and the '95 are great little rifles and have brought home many a deer and other edibles. It has even taken a few elephant. I run 140 to 160 grain bullets in mine and it's a fun rifle to shoot.
    I hope you enjoy it!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast