RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick afternoon WW score!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod99 View Post
    You are correct, I paid $60 for 2 very full buckets. I used your sort method today... wow... so much more easy! Right now it is looking like about 50% lead COWW's 10-15% stick-ons and the rest junk. I'll post the final number soon.

When i melt them down should I mix in the stick-ons or keep them apart?

Thanks!!
    Glad that you found my method useful.

I keep the stick ons and the clip ons separate. In the past I melted them together because stick ons were not near as common as today.

Over the years I have found some interesting things in wheel weight buckets. Not long ago I found a nearly new 3/4 inch draw bar pin in one. I've also found punches, sockets and wrenches. And lots of trash!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Glad that you found my method useful.

I keep the stick ons and the clip ons separate. In the past I melted them together because stick ons were not near as common as today.

Over the years I have found some interesting things in wheel weight buckets. Not long ago I found a nearly new 3/4 inch draw bar pin in one. I've also found punches, sockets and wrenches. And lots of trash!
    It's funny... I found a set of used break pads, a saw blade and a bunch of trash/dirt.
    USAF Veteran - NRA Certified Pistol Instructor - 1911 Junky

Took a chance and stopped by a tire shop today... asked if they had and lead. Next thing I know they are loading two over flowing 5gal buckets into my van.

3 guys... $20 spot each.

guessing it's well over 300lbs total... including clips and zinc. hoping for at least 200-250 lead.

Attachment 224696
    DO I DARE ASK IN FL ...I shelled out 35.00 ended up full 5 gal bucket got 36 lbs of lead ..sad day.Lucky no razor blades those are nasty ...
    Last edited by 4719dave; 08-05-2018 at 09:51 AM.
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Bub
    Ok, here are the final numbers!

Paid $60 for 2 full 5gal buckets.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180730_142745.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	225086

Total weight - 322lbs ....

After sorting and smelting all of it...

109 lbs COWW - 34%
    65 lbs Stick on - 20%
    28 lbs clips - 9%
    120 lbs track, Zinc and Steel - 37%

Usable Lead - 174 lbs or 54% cost - .34 cent per usable lb.

Name:	20180805_154323.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	225088

How does this compare to what others are seeing around the country?

Whit these numbers would you buy more from the same place?

seems like alot of stick-ons...

Name:	20180805_132306.jpg 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	225087

Boolit Buddy
    You did better than you think. Scrapper will buy those zinc and steel at the going rate. $0.15/lb around here.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I have found that just by telling everyone I know that I mold bullets, I get a fair amount given to me for free. Seems like a lot of people have a chunk of lead around that they don't know what to do with. When the landlord replaced the roof on our rented house, I noticed that the roofers were pulling off lead flashing from around the vent pipes. When I told him I could use it, he said he would bring me some more, and he did!

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Wow you have been working, I’m finding a lot more stick on weights than ever before. I finished 2 buckets today, will start 2 more tomorrow hopefully with same results you are having. Lightmans method works well, spread out and pick out obvious led and zinc, goes faster than any other way I’ve tried.

Boolit Grand Master

34 cents/lb plus your time and labor is not bad. I would continue to buy them at least until you are stocked up. And yes, I’m finding more stick ons. Also, start asking your friends, relatives and coworkers to start looking.

Boolit Bub
    I plan to stop by the place in a few weeks and see what they have. I looked at it as a learning experience... plus 174lbs will cast a bunch of 230g 45's!!!

Thanks for all the help and input everyone!!!

Lightman, your method is the only way to sort... wish I would have thought of it a few days sooner.

For ingots ready to melt and pour, $0.34 sounds very good to me!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master

You accomplished a lot in a pretty short period of time. Especially nursing back problems! Like sureYnot posted, save the steel and zinc if you have room, to resell. Like someone else posted, you might drop by and surprise those boys with a box of donuts or something. Donuts are kind of neutral and will let you get to know them better. Beer usually works well but a few people don’t drink and it might be against the shop rules.
    On another note, come up with a method to mark your different alloys. They have a way of getting mixed up.

Boolit Mold
    Ok, here are the final numbers!

Paid $60 for 2 full 5gal buckets.

Name:	20180730_142745.jpg 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	225086

Total weight - 322lbs ....

After sorting and smelting all of it...

109 lbs COWW - 34%
    65 lbs Stick on - 20%
    28 lbs clips - 9%
    120 lbs track, Zinc and Steel - 37%

Usable Lead - 174 lbs or 54% cost - .34 cent per usable lb.

Name:	20180805_154323.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	225088

How does this compare to what others are seeing around the country?

Whit these numbers would you buy more from the same place?

seems like alot of stick-ons...

Name:	20180805_132306.jpg 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	225087
    I picked up 18 5g buckets of wheel weights, for $100 a couple weeks ago. They are about 3/4 full and seem to be about 40-50% lead. In california of all places. I sorted about 3 buckets so far and filled up a 5g buckets with lead clip ons and I have quite a bit of lead stick ons.

I already feel I made my money's worth as lead is hard to find around here...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by alicevirgin View Post
    I picked up 18 5g buckets of wheel weights, for $100 a couple weeks ago. They are about 3/4 full and seem to be about 40-50% lead. In california of all places. I sorted about 3 buckets so far and filled up a 5g buckets with lead clip ons and I have quite a bit of lead stick ons.

I already feel I made my money's worth as lead is hard to find around here...
    That’s a great score! And price! You should start another thread and post some pictures. We like pictures! Also share your sorting and smelting methods.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    That’s a great score! And price! You should start another thread and post some pictures. We like pictures! Also share your sorting and smelting methods.
    Sounds good I will! It might take a few weeks to sort all of since I'm going slow haha. But so far I like what I've gotten.

Boolit Bub
    Lightman,
    I was planning to stop by sometime this week... donuts are a great idea! I am marking them with a big "W" on the COWW ingots and "P" on the stick-on ingots. Plus I'm storing them is different color buckets. White = Pure and Blue = WW

My wife is finally letting me back out into the barn/reloading room... I broke my back 6 weeks ago jumping off a bridge into the river... I know I know... I'm not 21 anymore... if I have a pound of lead for every time I heard that the last few weeks... But, it was a fluke... just hit the water wrong and compressed T12 and L1... 12 weeks in a brace.

using your method to sort was the only way I was able to get it done...

Boolit Buddy
    Got 45pounds from my mechanic... l got app 25 pounds of lead weights. 50/50 SOW/COW. l just toss the other 20 pound. Don't have time or inclination trying to sell it. Besides l don't know any scrappers. l use a pair of pruning shears to test for lead. No ingots or me. They go strait in the pot. l do however sort the cows and sows... When casting my H&G 503 drops 258gr boolits from sows.. 253 from cows... l don't add tin because l have no source... l have no leading problems either because l size them to properly fit the bore along with a good lube. l cast pistol boolits ONLY. A few years back l bought quite a bit of range scrap from an indoor pistol range. When l cast using this range scrap my H&G 503 boolits come out @ 256-258gr.. Almost exactly the weight of the boolits cast from stick-on weights.. Lots of copper and steel jackets in the range scrap. l toss that too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12