Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Broker Question..

Boolit Buddy

Gun Broker Question..

Hi Guy's, I have been using gunbroker, as a resource, for only a short time. I have only purchased 3 firearms, in the last year,.. No problems.

I found a pistol I would like to purchase, (Gen3 Smith & Wesson). The seller only has 2 past sells, and the 2 reviews are excellent. For payment, he wants a certified check, or paypal (?). I'm not sure a certified check has any buyer protection, and PayPal ? is that even legal for a firearm? I know paypal will help out, on a bad transaction sometimes, on something legit, But, I'm not sure how that would work, on a PayPal gift, (I think is what it's called.)
    My question, is should this be ringing warning bells? It's a common pistol, and the only reason I'm tempted to purchase online, is it's at a pretty sweet price. I don't want to hold the low sell count against the guy, cause I know everyone has to start somewhere. Shipping and all would be about $300.00. I sent him a message asking if he would accept a postal money order, and he responded in the negative, that certified check, or paypal gift (?), was the only form he wanted. So, should I do the deal, or wait. I don't need the pistol, but would like to have it. I doubt I can find one local for any where near the price.

Is this one I should stay away from? Many thanks in advance.

Caspar..

Banned

I do a lot buying on Gun Broker.
    I would not do the deal.
    He should be reported tozgun Broker

"We don't allow PayPal members to buy or sell any kind of firearm, whether it's in working order or not. The same goes for certain firearm parts and ammunition. ... Any firearm, including rifles, shotguns, and handguns, whether they're for sport and recreation, collectibles, or curio or relic firearms.
    What is PayPal's policy on transactions that involve firearms?"

If he won't accept a us postal money order I would be cautious. I have bought guns from gunbroker sellers using paypal, but paypal will probably not help you on a gun sale if it goes sour.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it! I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death! When people fear the government it is tyranny, when government fears the people it is Liberty!

Boolit Master
    I would never do a paypal gift for anyone . You has the buyer have no recourse.As to a certified or bank Check. this only implies that the fund are there and ready to be claimed. you as the buyer have no recourse
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    USPS money order or a credit card are the ONLY options I would entertain. Paypal is not going to protect you when they find out you bought a gun (they'll freeze your funds), and I won't even consider using a check of any kind. If they won't take a USPS MO or CC, walk away.

Moderator Emeritus

The only way I'd use pp for the purchase of an item like that, is if I trusted the seller more than I trust pp, ...and he won't accept a USPS MO? then NO DEAL !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I like Gunbroker. I don't like, or trust, Paypal. I feel they did me wrong in the past.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I got another email this morn. Now he tells me he will be happy to take a postal money order, or visa. Strange..

Banned
    You're taking a chance and you have to come to terms with this question: "Am I willing to risk and lose this money"?

If you're willing to risk the money, do it. As for Pay Pal - I have no use for it.

A first class envelope with a M.O. is the cheapest but provides no tracking. Methods that allow tracking will add to your expense but you will know if the recipient received the money order (or at least someone signed for it). In any event, you're trusting the seller and that's all there is to it.

Boolit Master

nonononono
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    If you are serious about making the purchase, ask him to deliver the merchandise to his FFL dealer. Then you talk with that dealer and get the first 3 and last 5 characters of their FFL and run them through the ATF's easy check system to confirm they are a licensed FFL holder. If the dealer is legit and will hold the firearm until your payment arrives, and then that dealer will ship the item to your FFL dealer, I would feel better about the deal.

Moderator Emeritus

Run from it. Did almost the same thing and was shipped something in a different caliber. Went downhill from there. Now on I only use credit cards.

Banned

I've had pretty good luck buying on gunbroker, but I do check feedback and I like using USPS Money Orders. Unless it's obviously a big dealer who I can call and do a credit card transaction, MO is the way to go. I'm not fond of paypal for a lot of reasons.

Patience is a virtue, by the way. The only thing gunbroker and similar seem to offer is the ability to look for something specific and hard to find, if it's a common gun, I'd go look around LGS in the area and buy from a brick and mortar place. Face to face is always better.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    You can register your credit card with PayPal. Then charge to it and dispute the transaction with your card company to get your money back if the deal goes bad. There will be a fee for using your card through PayPal...and well worth it to cover your butt if it's a fraud but This transaction sounds fishy to me. I'd pass

Paypal F&F for a gun? NO WAY unless it might be one of you guys here...... Gunbroker? No darn way. And I would do as suggested, take to Dealer, Confirm VIA telephone and Fed site that it is at dealer.
    Let HIM pay dealer to ship to you after you pay the Dealer however the dealer wants to be paid.

Boolit Master

If you and the seller are not located in the same state, transfer of handgun MUST go FFL to FFL. As ThinMan suggested, obtain contact info on his FFL and go from there. If the seller doesn't want to ship through an FFL, my advice would be to report the seller to GB and drop the whole deal like a (very!) hot rock.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Danger Will Robinson..........

Too many red flags. Just walk away. Like you said, it’s a common model (theoretically making fraud less likely); but it’s a common model.......find a different seller.

Boolit Master
    That would be some major red flags for me, I've been burned on Gunbroker once but eventually got my money back. Think I would consider paying slightly more for a more reputable dealer.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    My sincere Thanks', to those who responded. Yeah, I guess I'll pass. Sorta getting into the S&W metal series late, prices are going up. One of my LGS, has a close model, but IMHO, he's about $150.00 to high. Same store has a SD9VE, for $369. (ouch). I'll just keep on hunting, I guess that's half the fun.

Thanks again People..
    Caspar

Banned

I know you've considered this, but once you figure in shipping and dealer transfer fees (some of which charge a lot), paying a little more at a brick and mortar isn't so bad. And all that is if you get exactly what you thought you were getting and there weren't any problems to deal with. Common, current production model = go to a gun shop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast