Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 94 Sporter 38-55. Any good?

Boolit Man

Winchester 94 Sporter 38-55. Any good?

I have had the 38-55 bug for some time now and just can’t find a good used rifle so am considering a new Winchester 94 Sporter. They are made in Japan, have a 24” barrel. I would like to hear from someone who has used one about overall quality, fit and function etc. I would be shooting cast only and shooting dingers to moderate range and hunting.Will a tang sight fit without modifying? What length Starline brass works and any mold and load suggestions would be much appreciated. I have used the search function and so far the options are pretty positive, just looking for some hands on experience.Thanks!

Boolit Master

One way to do it is to buy an older Winchester 94 for cheep ($300 to 400) and send it to Jes at http://35caliber.com/ He charges about $250 to ream out the chamber and bore to 38/55 so for $550 you can have a $1100 rifle. Just a thought. I've been looking at this for a bit.

Boolit Grand Master

If it has the rebounding hammer system you won't like it.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    There's probably something to that .............. My Browning model 53 was probably built at the same place the new Winchesters are and I suspect the new ones have what mine did .

After shooting a couple thousand rounds through it , it started giving light hits to the primer until finally it wouldn't fire . Fixing the problem was as simple as taking it apart and removing the trash inside the firing pin that made the"rebounding" stuff work .

Either way you can get there from here .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

You also probably won't like the tang safety on the new Winchester/Miroku Sporter, which makes mounting a tang peepsight a little difficult.

kungfustyle gave you the best option, short of finding a original - which could give you a reloading workout (they're notorious for different barrels having different bore sizes).

www.35caliber.com will bore a .30-30 Model 94 to a solid .375".

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    One way to do it is to buy an older Winchester 94 for cheep ($300 to 400) and send it to Jes at http://35caliber.com/ He charges about $250 to ream out the chamber and bore to 38/55 so for $550 you can have a $1100 rifle. Just a thought. I've been looking at this for a bit.
    I wish I could do that, it would have been done a couple years ago but I am in Canada and you wouldn’t believe the cost of sending a rifle down and back. I even considered buying a rifle down there, having Jes bore it and then sending it up but again the US and Canadian laws just don’t work. Thanks for your help anyway, if it were even reasonable I would do it.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    You also probably won't like the tang safety on the new Winchester/Miroku Sporter, which makes mounting a tang peepsight a little difficult.

kungfustyle gave you the best option, short of finding a original - which could give you a reloading workout (they're notorious for different barrels having different bore sizes).

www.35caliber.com will bore a .30-30 Model 94 to a solid .375".

Every old rifle I see turns out to be a “ project “ rifle and way to expensive for what you get. Does the tang safety make it impossible to mount a tang sight?

Boolit Buddy
    No, Marbles makes tang sights that fit the 94's with tang safeties. Also, I have 5 Miroku built guns, 4 of them have the rebound hammers and not one of them has ever given me trouble.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkCreek View Post
    No, Marbles makes tang sights that fit the 94's with tang safeties. Also, I have 5 Miroku built guns, 4 of them have the rebound hammers and not one of them has ever given me trouble.
    Thank you, I am assuming that with 4 of them you must like them. Good quality?

Boolit Master

10 minute job to remove...screwdriver and grinder...

I have a Miroku 94 38-55, 20 inch barrel and find it well made and a pleasure to shoot. While I prefer the originals for nostalgia’s sake, the fit and finish on the Japanese rifles are second to none. I also have a Miroku 1873 with the 24inch barrel and it is a jewell. I was looking at the sporter myself for some time when a used 20 inch version came up for sale which I jumped on. I wouldn’t hesistate to buy a Miroku Winchester if it fit the bill for what I was looking for...ymmv.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

I rebarreled 3 , 94 win to 38/55. Barrels from Numerich, not Win manufacture. Using their barrel
    you have to buy another fore end and replace shell guides, also avaible from Numerich. I didn't
    buy the parts. I put them together for locals. They bought pre safety 94s for donar gun. I was not
    impressed with accuracy of those barrels. Unless you can get ahold of a Winchester barrel I wouldn't mess with it. And still I think a guy futher ahead to have Rebore done. Will be same money and you will have a gun that shoots. You can pick up a post 64 shooter for $300-400.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I rebarreled 3 , 94 win to 38/55. Barrels from Numerich, not Win manufacture. Using their barrel
    you have to buy another fore end and replace shell guides, also avaible from Numerich. I didn't
    buy the parts. I put them together for locals. They bought pre safety 94s for donar gun. I was not
    impressed with accuracy of those barrels. Unless you can get ahold of a Winchester barrel I wouldn't mess with it. And still I think a guy futher ahead to have Rebore done. Will be same money and you will have a gun that shoots. You can pick up a post 64 shooter for $300-400.
    The OP mentioned he is in Canada and the cost of sending a rifle across and back over the border is cost prohibitive.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Buddy
    Ron Smith in Alberta 403-631-2405

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
    Ron Smith in Alberta 403-631-2405
    Thanks Pioneer2, Ron did a shot out Rigby .303 to 338-303 for me several years ago and it is a great shooting rifle. Modest price too. When I called him about boring a 30-30 to 38-55 he said it’s one of the easiest to do but he was so busy I should call him back in 6 months and he might have time then, maybe!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    10 minute job to remove...screwdriver and grinder...

I have a Miroku 94 38-55, 20 inch barrel and find it well made and a pleasure to shoot. While I prefer the originals for nostalgia’s sake, the fit and finish on the Japanese rifles are second to none. I also have a Miroku 1873 with the 24inch barrel and it is a jewell. I was looking at the sporter myself for some time when a used 20 inch version came up for sale which I jumped on. I wouldn’t hesistate to buy a Miroku Winchester if it fit the bill for what I was looking for...ymmv.
    Thanks that’s what I was hoping to hear. I don’t mind spending the $ if I get a good product. I am not a collector, my rifles all get shot and hunted with.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
    Thanks that’s what I was hoping to hear. I don’t mind spending the $ if I get a good product. I am not a collector, my rifles all get shot and hunted with.
    Few other points worth mentioning. Mine sports a Williams receiver peep. Factory tapped which precludes the need for a tang mounted version and questions about interference etc. with the safety...not sure if sporter is so tapped. I actually use the long version Starline brass as a good lot of it came with the rifle, but I turn down to match the short version - 2.080. Bullets sized to .380 with no leading issues. Mold is an LBT 380-250-LFN. Haven’t had it but a short while but she shoots straight and true. I have no complaints.

Attachment 224735

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
    Thank you, I am assuming that with 4 of them you must like them. Good quality?

As Kevinakaq said the rebound is easy to remove if it bothers you that much. The originals are... well they are the original Winchesters and take it on nostalgia but as offensive as some might read this the Miroku factory puts out a Winchester every bit as well made as Winchester ever did.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    Few other points worth mentioning. Mine sports a Williams receiver peep. Factory tapped which precludes the need for a tang mounted version and questions about interference etc. with the safety...not sure if sporter is so tapped. I actually use the long version Starline brass as a good lot of it came with the rifle, but I turn down to match the short version - 2.080. Bullets sized to .380 with no leading issues. Mold is an LBT 380-250-LFN. Haven’t had it but a short while but she shoots straight and true. I have no complaints.

Attachment 224735
    They are tapped for scopes or receiver sight. That’s probably the way I will go as I have 4 other Williams FP on my Marlins and Savages. Good to know about the brass and mould.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkCreek View Post
    As Kevinakaq said the rebound is easy to remove if it bothers you that much. The originals are... well they are the original Winchesters and take it on nostalgia but as offensive as some might read this the Miroku factory puts out a Winchester every bit as well made as Winchester ever did.
    Great info, thank you!

Boolit Master
    Miroku rifles take a back seat to no one. I've owned six or seven over the years and they are superbly accurate and well made. I have a High Wall right now that will produce sub 1moa five shot groups at 100 yards, and had an 1886 in 45-70 that would shoot five shots under 1.7" at a measured 114 yards every time and sometimes smaller (my personal range is 114 yards from deck to backstop...that's why the odd yardage). I had a Low Wall that shot sub 1moa as well. Fit and finish are fantastic. I got rid of two of the guns because they were just too nice to drag around in the woods hunting. Fantastic wood and finish. I believe that Miroku made nicer guns than Winchester did. Don't flame me on this, but you simply can't take anything away from Miroku's production and quality process....it's simply state of the art. Say what you want about Japanese, but you can't dispute their attention to detail and quality. Look who's selling cars...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast