MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High wall

Boolit Bub

High wall

I'm headed out to Montana on a fishing trip this Sept. On my way I will be stopping in at C Sharps, to put an order in for a 1895 Highwall, in 25-20. Boolits,and cases seems hard to fine. I would appreciate any input regarding this cartridge, reloading, finding components, I have some reloading data, but would be interested as to what some of you guys like. Thanks for the help.
    Smoke will make your eyes burn, but only people, can make you cry !

Boolit Master
    You will probably have to form .32-20 brass to make .25-20.
    I got a batch of 600 cases cheap about 20 years ago. Being Remington cases they are desired by the Schuetzen shooters since they can sometimes get over 100 reloads per case.
    Today I will probably have to sell that brass since it is sometimes bringing $2.00 a case and is worth more than a lot of rifles.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    25/20 SS or 25/20 Winchester Central Fire? I have a 25/20 SS in a CPA and it's the bee's knees.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I would look at the lowall for the 25-20. 25-20 winchester cases can be formed from 32-20. Bullets aren't that hard to come by if you cast your own.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mt chambers View Post
    25/20 ss or 25/20 winchester central fire? I have a 25/20 ss in a cpa and it's the bee's knees.
    25/20 wcf

I don't see an issue finding bullets for the .25-20, but I guess it depends on what you are looking for in weight, diameter, etc.? As other mentioned the .32-20 is a great case to form from. But I prefer the .32-20 cartridge over the .25-20 also, as a much better bullet selection, and lots of case availability. It will do everything the .25-20 does, only better.

Boolit Master

Can't disagree with the versatility of the 32 that's for sure but speaking for myself I can understand the desire for the 25 as I have always had a fascination for them, and as obsolete as the 218 BEE is I would like one of those also.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    What twist are you going to order. A faster than original twist that will handle 100gr bullet would be very interesting!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    What twist are you going to order. A faster than original twist that will handle 100gr bullet would be very interesting!
    I have not yet given any thought to twist, but probably will be shooting the lower grain bullets. More than likely a cast, but I would also like to shoot jacketed, but can only find them in .257.

Unless you provide them a barrel built to your specifications, most likely the only twist, groove and bore diameter you can get will be what ever they are getting from Green Mountain.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Unless you provide them a barrel built to your specifications, most likely the only twist, groove and bore diameter you can get will be what ever they are getting from Green Mountain.
    Valuable information, thank you, also why would you choose the lowwall?

The Low Wall action does provide a little easier access to the chamber for smaller cartridge cases. But the .25-20 and .32-20 don't really ever give any real problems to most shooters to chamber or remove fired cases.
    The Low Wall action is only slightly lighter weight, and I'd prefer the High Wall myself, as the cost of either is a minor difference. Plus I like the look of the High Wall action a lot more.

Boolit Master

Another vote for the HighWall, not a lot of weight difference vs the Low Wall and, to me anyway, the lines of the HighWall are just much more attractive but of course that's just a matter of taste.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakfoot View Post
    Valuable information, thank you, also why would you choose the lowwall?
    Due to the smaller size and trimmer lines of the action. The smaller cartridges like the 25-20 etc was what that version of the 85 was designed around.

Boolit Bub
    While I have some of your attention, going to throw in a curve. My first thought was the 25-20 wcf, but after some study I'm leaning towards the 32-20. Just can't make up my mind. I have very little experience with these type of cartridges. Need experienced knowledge from you guys.

The .32-20 is much more versatile, and a much better bullet selection. It will also be heavier bullets and hold better at longer distances. I've used my .32-20's out to 500 yds. on dingers, but my .25-20 has been tough to get more than occasional lucky hits at 500 yds.
    And of course brass is readily available.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    The .32-20 is much more versatile, and a much better bullet selection. It will also be heavier bullets and hold better at longer distances. I've used my .32-20's out to 500 yds. on dingers, but my .25-20 has been tough to get more than occasional lucky hits at 500 yds.
    And of course brass is readily available.
    That is exactly what I have been finding out from my reading. Would the powers used in the 32-20 be position senative? That was also something I read about using IMR 4227 in the 25-20.

32-20 is pretty versatile as far as powders go. Unique, 2400,Lilgun and 5744 all work well in my rifle.

Boolit Master
    Check the twist options for the 32-20 and see what they offer. Think the original twist was 1x20.If I'm wrong please correct me. Anyway if they do have a faster twist might just be what you are looking for. TJ's barrel liners come with a slightly faster 1x16 if I remember right. You could use a slightly heavier bullet with the faster twist. The TJ's liner I mentioned is only to give you an idea of maybe what's out there and in a High Wall action should shoot well. Fran

Boolit Bub
    I went ahead and ordered my rifle yesterday. I just could’t help myself an ordered the 25-20.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast