Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Help me identify this single shot bolt action rifle

Boolit Buddy

Help me identify this single shot bolt action rifle

Friend has had this single shot center fire bolt action rifle in the family for a long time. The bore is probably 6.5 MM. Chamber appears to be about Mauser dimensionally although I could not verify that. Straight bolt, after chambering and closing the bolt the rifle is manually cocked by pulling the cocker at the rear of the bolt until it locks, and pulling the trigger then fires the piece. There are markings, numbers, presumably serial numbers, Four letters engraved in script with Lt. Denis engraved under those letters also in script. I did not have the ability to remove the action from the stock where manufacturer info might be found. Other markings look like crests. There is no magazine hence the single shot mentioned above. First thought suggests a military training rifle since no battle field infantry piece I could think of would be found that is a single shot weapon. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180614_081445.jpg   20180614_081507.jpg   20180614_081520.jpg   20180614_081530.jpg   20180614_081544.jpg  

Boolit Master

Not anything I could label for sure; interesting and I’d wager someone will be along soon that has a twin to it

It looks like a Mauser 1871 which was a single shot. However the 6.5 bore statement confuses me. a good pic of the left side of the action and of the muzzle end of the barrel would be most helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

if it is 6.5MM its a German 1871 Mauser that was Converted to 6.5mm Daudeteau and sold to Uruguay. The barrel markings appear to confirm my idea as these guns were rebarreled at the St. Denis arsenal in France. These guns were a absolute failure due to poor ammo and the fact that its single shot.

these are uncommon guns and ive seen numerous reports that they are quite accurate when run with proper ammo.

if the barrel is good it would be a really fun 100 yard plinker.

Boolit Master
    Born in Germany as an 11mm blackpowder cartridge rifle.
    It then moved to France, where it got a make-over into a 6,5mm caliber smokeless powder rifle.
    Round design courtesy of the French Navy and a M. Daudeteau. Finest French bayonet adaptor included! 'Verr-ah Nyiz-ah'
    Then off to Uruguay, for a short working stint of but a few years.
    Years and years of quiet, and then off to the "States" for retirement.

Buffalo Arms (for one) carries loaded 6.5 Daudeteau ammo for your rifle.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/6-5x53-5...0-amo65daudcon

Here's a video on how to reload for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZCvwJbbW4Y

Last edited by pietro; 07-26-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I have 2 of these 6.5x53R rifles. brass is available on line with several custom makers. shoots well.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Super Moderator

...............Several years ago many (thousands?) of these were imported to the U.S. and were reworked. Amongst the bunch were 'Un-messed with' M71 and M71/84 Mausers, but the majority were the 6.5 conversions. I may be wrong, but if memory serves it was Navy Arms who had the majority of them, and they were offered as "Parts Guns", re-finished stock versions, new stock versions, and "Re-finished Rifle versions".

I have a fairly nice (great bore) M1871 Mauser rifle that is a terrific shooter:

There can be eventual accuracy issues if much shooting is done too rapidly. The front band is attached to the barrel, and is also attached to the stock. With much shooting, that long slender barrel heats. Being attached to the stock at the action AND the forend, the barrel can bow slightly.

A group of close contemporaries. At top is a M1878 Trapdoor Springfield. Next is the M1871 Mauser, then you have the M1884 British 577-450 Martini-Enfield. At the bottom is an M1879 Argentine contract Remington rolling block. The bayonet goes with the Remington. When the bayonet is stuck on the Remington, from butt to blade tip it's about 7' long All 4 of these rifles were in service, or variants thereof were, at the same time.

BTW, the Mauser IS exceedingly accurate. Using the Lyman 475gr 457121-PH which drops at .451" will handily ring a 2'x2' steel plate at 600 yards! I also think that without a doubt, the sight on the Mauser was also probably the most expensive rear sight ever placed on a general service military rifle in history

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Real nice group of rifles Buckshot. I have one of the 1879 Argies also. Mine shoots pretty accurate but I have never shot it over one hundred yards. I don't shoot it very much as the brass is very expensive. james

Boolit Master
    It shouldn't be necessary to cock the rifle by pulling on the cocking piece.The rifle should be cocked after the bolt has been opened and closed.

Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    It shouldn't be necessary to cock the rifle by pulling on the cocking piece.The rifle should be cocked after the bolt has been opened and closed.
    Thank you. That's what I was thinking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

its possibly just a buggered up sear or its full of gunk. In the picture of the bolt open you can see the cam surfaces on the bolt doing their job.

probably worth taking a poke at to see whats up in there because the M71 Action doesnt need to be cocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ...............Several years ago many (thousands?) of these were imported to the U.S. and were reworked. Amongst the bunch were 'Un-messed with' M71 and M71/84 Mausers, but the majority were the 6.5 conversions. I may be wrong, but if memory serves it was Navy Arms who had the majority of them, and they were offered as "Parts Guns", re-finished stock versions, new stock versions, and "Re-finished Rifle versions".

................Buckshot
    I may have one of those. A 71-84 that has a bore so good that I'm ready to believe it's never been fired! But the stock has been scraped down so that the metal is .030 proud all over. Huntington's still had proper brass when I got it, so I have unopened bags of it, waiting for me to get brave enough to try it out. Been fifteen years now, at least.

But to my recollection, the groove diameter is somewhere nearer .433".

I heard a legend that a large batch went to Canada, where they were often cut down for hunting.

Whatever the provenance, they are exquisitely made for a military rifle, far better than what we were doing in the USA at that time.
    Cognitive Dissident