Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .303 No. 1 Mk III* Tanker Carbine

Boolit Master

.303 No. 1 Mk III* Tanker Carbine

I understand Navy Arms bought Parker-Hale machinery and shortened up Lee-Enfields to make these carbines. The crown at the muzzle and the stock work look just like they came from a factory. Mine shoots very well. Had it out for a range session yesterday - with Lyman 210gr 314299 and 16gr Blue Dot 5 shots into 3.3” at 100yd. (Greek military hardball 5 shots into 4.4”, 4 of those into 2.25”, same range.) With sight on 200yd CBs were on point of aim, hardball 4” higher. This is a solid, handy, accurate rifle.
    Last edited by 26Charlie; 07-30-2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Correct measurement
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A picture would be nice.

Are these currently available, or is this something they did years ago which you happened to come across?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    It doesn't exist and nothing happened without pictures...….

Boolit Master

Neither Navy Arms nor Gibbs Rifle Co. (who did the actual work on most Navy Arms retreads) show a "Tanker" in their website 'history' pages. Both do show "#5 Jungle Carbines" that were actually reworked #4Mk1's and Gibbs shows both a "#7 Jungle Carbine" and a "Quest II" sporter carbine based upon the Ishapor 2A in 7.62x51. Other than the #5 Jungle Carbine, there were reportedly a few experimental/prototype 'shortened' Enfields assembled as various times by the Brits, Canadians, and Aussies but none made it into production.

http://www.angelfire.com/nh/milarm/fakes.html

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

About 20 years ago they made those from the No.1 Mark lll, the Ishapore .308, . And the No.4. They called them all tanker carbines. Navy arms had big ads in Shotgun News every month. They also had a 45 70 bolt action made from Lee Enfield and all these rifles were listed under Gibbs Rifles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by CSMR View Post
    It happened with , or without pictures . I had one in the nineties and as the fellas said it look like it was new . Only exception was the inside of the barrel was just as pot luck as any other Enfield . Mine liked twelve and a half grains of Unique and a heavy bullet . It shot really well ......when my eyes were young .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Here are a .303 Savage, 22" barrel, and the .303 British "tanker" carbine, 20" barrel. I put quotes around 'tanker" since it wasn't an official British model.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.303s (2).jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	224708
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Someone made a carbine out of his MkIII. It looked real cool too - quite short. He called it a 'truck gun'. It was as described by the OP. I'll see if I kept a photo of it.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 07-30-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 26Charlie View Post
    Here are a .303 Savage, 22" barrel, and the .303 British "tanker" carbine, 20" barrel. I put quotes around 'tanker" since it wasn't an official British model.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.303s (2).jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	224708
    So do you use the same ammo in both?
    Nice pair there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    if he does it would not be the first time people have tried to do it. I think the savage ammo will work in the british but not the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    if he does it would not be the first time people have tried to do it. I think the savage ammo will work in the british but not the other way.
    No, it doesn't. Cases split and blow out at the shoulder.

We once had a guy show up at Sighting In Days with a Savage No.4 Mk2* trying to fire .303 Savage ammo in it...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Gibbs Rifle Company made a bunch of "Jungle Carbine" conversions back in the 1990's. I have seen several at gun shows; though none lately. They were perty things, and I'd have to slap myself to keep from buying one.

A local gunsmith friend of mine altered a "project" Lee Enfield No. I MK III into a "tanker" model just like the one in the photo. What a great handling little rifle ... short and very handy. If I "fall" into a project LE No. 1 MK III at some point I'm very tempted to ask him to build one for me too!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve seen the Gibbs tanker models and some decent conversions but I still prefer a “Jungle Carbine”. There was a No4 tanker conversion on Gunbroker a couple years ago that sold for $600+. It was cool but not that cool!

I might have posted this before but for those who haven’t seen it here is my “Jungle Carbine” conversion.

A 1942 Maltby No4 Mk1 that had been sporterized.
    Last edited by tbx-4; 07-31-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    That is an excellent conversion. No harm done if it was already sporterized. Just an errant thought here ... the original British Jungle Carbines had a problem with a "wandering zero". I was wondering if your conversion had the same issues, or if it was only inherent in the originals?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by CSMR View Post
    Some of us computer/electronically challenged people can't do that stuff....you just going to have to take our word.
    Charlie....I believe you and I believe it happened, I got faith.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    The Wandering zero problem mainly affected No.5 rifles that had been used in high temperature environments. The rear receiver walls could flex and spread under high pressures of heat damaged propellants.
    According to one source they discovered the cause when it was found some rifles had spreading bad enough to shear through the key pin of the rear sight pivot.
    They rebuilt some of these rifles using No.4 receivers and that seemed to solve the problem.

As for the .303 Savage if you'll notice most Enfield have a caliber/chambering marking the includes the length of the cartridge case. Most British rifles had similar markings because of the many variations of cartridge length among sporting rifles with identical bore sizes.

The Gibb Rifle Co. (WV) No.4 conversions to jungle carbines shot well because they were simply cut down No.4s without the lightening cuts. The shortened No.4 barel is stiffer than the original and the rifle I tested for a friend was properly stocked up and bedded, shooting very well.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    My Jungle Carbine conversion shoots just fine. After bore sighting it took it to the range (old quarry) loaded one charger clip in the mag and the first four shots were touching the fifth was just a little lower. Rear sight is original No5 micrometer, it was adjusted two clicks below 200 yard mark. We were shooting 100 yards from folding tables and lawn chairs. Ammo was 1976 HXP.

Oh, and this is a 2 groove barrel.

Boolit Master
    Just to clear up, the .303 Savage is a .30-30 length case (but fatter at the base) and the .303 British is a military longer case. I posted a thread about the .303 Savage in leverguns called .303 Savage M1899 if you want to do a search for that with my user name. At the time, the easiest way to make cases for me was sleeve .30-30s with a cut off .40 S&W case. Now, PPU makes the brass, and I bought 200 of them, so the world has been brought into proper order, .303 Savage-wise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast