WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .303 No. 1 Mk III* Tanker Carbine

Boolit Master

There was a guy here in AZ who modified a few .303's into Tankers. Always thought they were cool and really wanted one. Saved a pic of one of them he did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	303 tanker.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	224788

Boolit Buddy
    Intel6,
    That looks a lot like the one I saw on Gunbroker a couple years ago. I like it.

The No4 Tanker would be better because of the receiver mounted rear sight but a No1 Mk3 would have an incredibly short sight radius with the barrel mounted rear sight.

Either one is going to have a lot of muzzle flash though.

Boolit Master
    we used to go to the navy arms wearhouse in wv. about once a month. lots of interesting things. we saw number 3's stacked like cord wood. mausers by the box full. this was when sks's were $89.00. the one thing I saw but never seen anything done with were p08 frames about a 1000 of them in baskets like they were on their way to the machine shop.

Boolit Master
    Just remembered an article on shortened LE rifles used by Chinese bicycle messengers. They took old beat up SMLE rifles, cut the barrel back to about 12-14 inches, then for luck soldered a half of a Chinese coin to the muzzle end for a crude front sight. Some had the rear sight base removed and a slot cut in the charger bridge to serve as a rear sight notch. fore ends were optional.

They didn't expect to win any gunfights against Japanese patrols, just put up enough of a fight not to be taken alive.

In Burma in the 90's cut down No.4 rifles were converted to dedicated grenade launchers. The barrel was a short stub inside a tubular jacket that braced the grenade and held down the spoon handle till fired. They brazed the ladder rear sight to the front receiver ring. I doubt the sight was used much if at all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Intel6 View Post
    There was a guy here in AZ who modified a few .303's into Tankers. Always thought they were cool and really wanted one. Saved a pic of one of them he did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	303 tanker.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	224788
    That firearm may not be right, but it sure looks good. Any information on the guy that did these conversions?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    That firearm may not be right, but it sure looks good. Any information on the guy that did these conversions?
    No, this was on one of the AZ boards that no longer exists so I am not sure if they guy is still around?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12