Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use Reloading Manuals anymore ?

I use them regularly. You can add notes to books. Not the net. I don’t feel the need to buy every version that comes out either.

I also have started a log book with my load data. A separate page or in some cases pages for each caliber. That log book has a better memory of what I have and have not tried than I do!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

I am big on electronic files. Its much easier and more accessible. I have an ultra small space to reload in and it easier to have everything i need mounted to the wall that i can search with at the swipe of a finger. I can reference loads from 10+ different manuals just by hitting enter. There isn't any more bench or shelf space for logs and records. Plus everything is backed up three times. I have the local library and research notes, the cloud back up, and then the thumb drive. Cloud servers are nice because they all update. So if i tag a note on the Lyman Cast bullet 3rd or second edition from the tablet. That same note is visible on my phone.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I have manuals that go back almost 40 years, up to the current Speer and Hornady, and I reference between ALL of them, and Use Those, to cross reference, against what is posted online. Of course We all know that everything printed online, is "correct", and there is always going to be some fool who will try it, off Faith.
    Such as......My pet Load for 44 magnum 230 Grain jhp, with 2.6gn W296 as a "light load".......[DON'T DO IT!!!]
    YOU WILL BLOW UP YOUR GUN, AND YOURSELF!!!!
    Do Your Own Research, and Never trust that somewon's spelling, or typing is Correct.
    You never assume that the printed manual is right either. I can afford very few firearms to destroy, because of lazyness.
    There is No such thing as "Gravity",,,,,,,the World just Sucks!

Boolit Master
    I use the hodgdon site a lot but also like my written manuals,i buy a lot of old manuals

Boolit Master
    I've got paper manuals, both new and old.... BUT - I've learned to LOVE QL as a way to check loads. Of course, you MUST use some common sense with QL and understand not all powders are good for all calibers.

Boolit Master

Every time I reload. It is always a good policy to have a printed copy published from a reliable source to make a sanity check against electronic copies and other internet data. I even cross check published copies against each other. They are the cheapest insurance I know against getting over eager and doing something you may regret...
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

I have a large selection of old and new printed manuals, but often compare their loads to loads that are published online (and on here) ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I have my favorite loads written on index cards posted on my loading bench. But I double check them every time against the book, because I double check everything about reloading.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I do a lot of things the old way, any questions about what powder to use look up the load in the books and find a powder they all have in common, hard to do that on line some times.
    cast bollits as we all know not a lot of published data out there
    I do a few wild cats so keeping mold manuals are the way to find data.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use both. ANY load someone posts is ALWAYS checked against manufacturers data.

Some loads I never verify before a loading session. 2.8 gr of HP for the .38, 42 gr of Varget with the 165 GameKing in the hunting .308, 17 gr of Promo in the 12 ga etc etc. I do not have, or need, or want multiple loads in many of my guns. KISS.
    Don Verna

I use paper manuals more then the internet .I have every Lyman cast bullet manuals the first 2 are copy ,the rest are bought when they came out. Also just have one of the Lyman shotgun manuals missing ,I would have everyone. There is data in the old ones that dose not have in some of the new ones also some of the Lyman reloading for centerfire and some of the Hornady also. I have some of like stated from Powder companies also.I like to have it in hand then be on here.If I see some thing that I like to try that is on here I will write it down and then test it for myself.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I still keep hard copy logs of all my loads, and the Manual they came out of.
    I spent twelve years in the "Computer field". Don't trust them. A Computer CAN NOT make a mistake. Only the person inputing the Data can do that. But it can sure compound human error.
    I always refer to the manuals.
    My be some of you other long time reloaders have noticed what I have. Over the years, charge weights for max loads have been dropping.
    The Powder Companies say it's a change in FORMULATION leading to less powder required to reach a certain pressure/velocity. Who knows ?
    But I still go by the latest book when looking/checking new loads.
    Being a bit cynical, I wonder why charge weights have been steadily dropping and trigger weights on most firearms have been increasing. Could it be that the companies are litigation shy? But concerning powder weights: that is why these days a good chronograph is essential.

Boolit Buddy
    I have my dad's loading manuals and other shooting books going back to the early 50's, and I've purchased many more originals online over the past couple of decades to fill in the gaps. I've been reading and rereading them since I was a small boy, and while I like instant online search capability, I won't ever give up those old books. It's history in your hands.

Boolit Master

I just bought three new ones!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    yes all the time. in fact a lot of auctions I go to have powder. some of which is not listed any more so I have old manuals to use.

Boolit Master
    the books and manuals I have on hand have never gotten scrambled by virus or held by ransom ware and while digital is convienent and quick nothing causes me more agrivation than "sorry file 404 not found " so books rule in my world

Boolit Mold
    Yes and I just ordered Western Powders new manual

Boolit Grand Master

Heck YES !
    Printed manuals can't crash , I must have 10 or 12 going back to Hornady #1 (1967) and Speer #7 (1966). I do buy new ones but keep the older ones for obsolete cartridges and powders . I discovered a unopened can of Alcan #5 powder and good old Speer #8 has all kinds of data for Alcan powders ! I do go online to powder mfgr's data sites but a printed manual is my main source of data.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Simple answer is ....Yes !

Moderator Emeritus

In addition to quite a few actual manuals, I mostly rely upon my "reloading bible" -- Ken Waters' Pet Loads. Ten years or so (???) ago I was researching/looking for a load to try in a new-to-me .44-40 on the Internet, and was just about ready to set my Harrell powder measure to their prescribed load when i elected to cross-check with printed. Interestingly, I found the IDENTICAL load in an early Lyman book -- with the Internet-prescribed load TWO FULL GRAINS ABOVE MAXIMUM LOAD!!! Albeit I subscribe to both AmmoGuide and LoadData services, I will NEVER ever start any new load without double-checking it in a printed format. My thinking includes the litigant consequences to any and all printed matter as well as the laboratory methods to obtain - and then publish -- their loads. I'm seventy years of age, and have yet to read of a "recall" re any "mis-print" re volunteer loads on Internet sites which may not be safe. On the other hand, in my early Bullseye shooting days, I was present at two matches where handguns -- one each revolver and semi-auto -- were blown up -- both by loaders who maintained their loads were indeed quite moderate and safe...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast