Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of steel in a highwall?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim View Post
    i know the sharps kit i received is a good steel well cast.
    Would you mind telling us where it came from?

Also how about your project, is it well along, just started, finished or just somewhere in between? Inquiring minds want to know these things!

Seriously it would be great if we could get a bunch of builders together to discuss their projects, pics and info exchanged could not only be helpful but could also be a great inspiration to those who want to do this but just can't seem to take the plunge.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Vendor Sponsor

I have a Boulder River Foundry highwall kit. Likely the same as the op.

It is NOT as mentioned above.... "theres a good chance its a test piece for the tooling,or a reject salavaged from the scrap bin out the back of the factory....either way,I wouldnt waste time with it. "

The paperwork with it states it is cast of 8620 steel and as old red states, 8620 is suitable for case colors and the 4140 is not but can be blued. 8620 fits the bill for strength and finish.

I have no idea what is on the Shiloh web-sight and do not want to get into that other than to say maybe action parts may be 4140? Just for the knowledge of it, it would be easy enough to ask Kirk on their forum.

CW
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 07-31-2018 at 11:23 PM.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

To the OP, I have not started on my kit. I did start writing an order of operation so I don't get going on it and end up doing something I wish I had not, or done in a different order and made the whole project harder.
    I never founds plans for this kit. If you do, or just start in on it, let me know what happens.
    CW
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

All the 1885 cast kits I have seen have been 8620. If a scrap yard is handy have it XRF Analyzed

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I never founds plans for this kit.CW
    I recently got possession of the set of plans that are sold on Ebay, I have mentioned several times here as having looked them over but they belonged to a buddy of mine who bought them and now after about 8 years of off-on work on his kit he just recently gave up. This has nothing to do with difficulty of the build He just never spent much time on it and has now lost all interest, anyway a few weeks ago he gave me the plans set he had been working from. These plans are available on Ebay for about $30 and they are excellent quality, very sharply printed and very complete, included are drawings for parts for several versions such as single and double set triggers, standard triggers, etc. These plans include every single piece and dimension right down to the smallest pins and screws, wire sizes and dimensions for coil springs, etc.

There is talk of the plans set from ASSRA (not sure if these are the same or not) having several serious errors and exclusions but I have gone over this entire set of prints over the last few years trying to help my buddy who was building from them and I have found only one error (on the lever) which is no problem at all if the builder is aware of it before making the lever. If someone needs a set of plans I would recommend these without hesitation, just search "Winchester 1885 High Wall rifle drawings" (High Wall, two words) on Ebay.

This seller also has many other plans sets from time to time, Sharps, Colt 1911, M1 Carbine plus several more and if the HighWall prints are any indication then the others are likely high quality and a really good buy also.
    Last edited by oldred; 08-01-2018 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Spellin agin!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Just speaking as a superannuated automotive make-a-nickel penguineer, everything that <<oldred>> has posted agrees with my training and experience.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I did not mention Boulder River Foundry or their products.......... "a rough casting bought at a gun show" and "of uncertain origin".......(supposed/claimed to be from BRF).......is what I said.......And I would be certain BRF would not be happy at that situation,and might even investigate .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12